Notices

Comfort foods & sober rewards

Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Comfort foods & sober rewards

Rob's post about Chinese food saved me from drinking last night (for some reason I could never drink with Chinese food) - yum, sweet & sour chicken and that aromatic white rice! It got me thinking of other plain & simple pleasures we forsake for alcohol. One of my recent rediscoveries (day 6 here) is chocolate milk! I don't know when I had it last but I could almost hear my body saying "THANK YOU!"
What do you folks either appreciate more now that you're sober, or use as "I got through today" rewards? (Not to imply I'm a total foodie, to be honest my sober rewards usually involve a big bubble bath by candlelight with music playing ...)
Old 12-21-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kissing my kids goodnight, hearing their prayers and "I love you Mommy" completely sober is the biggest gift I can think of to end my day.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Life itself! Mentally at the end I knew I was going to kill myself drinking if I did not stop, but in less then 3 months the change in my overall health truly showed me how much damage I was doing to my body.

Even more overwhelming has been the mental aspect of sobriety, even though I have been sober over 14 months I am still finding improvements mentally, I am far more aware of life in general, far more capable of doing task that require patience, dexterity, and full mental alertness.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Definitely the hugs & kisses from my kids and knowing that I am doing the right thing for them. I also enjoy taking them to their different activities (sports, Christmas concert) and simply watching them play.

I can also enjoy music and movies (everything actually!) when I am not hungover, remorseful, or obsessing over my next drink.

Tazman53's comment about the mental aspect is so true for me. Everyday gets better. My mind is clearer, I can focus better, and (hopefully) make better choices.