Notices

Major cravings last couple of days!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major cravings last couple of days!

:praying Hey all, well I am on Day 16, and I feel great physically and mentally, but the last few days I've had major cravings to have a beer. Last night it started when some friends were over, then carrried on into today. Part of the problem is that my wife and I are hosting a Christmas party on Dec 15th and we are providing the booze, so today I went out to buy it...man like a moth to a flame...I haven't anything to drink yet, but I find myself trying to justify it in my mind...thinking things like "just a couple won't hurt"....or "I'll stop after the party"...or worse "I can control it, I'll just limit myself to 6 beers in any give day and I'll be ok".....aaaaaahhhhhh stop the insanity, I know I could probably do that for a little while, but it will always lead back to abuse....help
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Rob

Yeah that must be f***ing hard. I am having similar thoughts. I'm only 7 days and already I've had 1 little slip-up (I had some wine in Sunday evening with the girlfriend). I didnt get drunk or anything but still feel like I let myself down.

Today I drove home from work and had exactly the same thoughts - shall I, shant I. One moment I think ' No, I'l regret it' and the next 'Oh, just a little wine when I get in from work wont hurt'. But I bet if I did it wouldnt be long before I'm drinking 2 bottles of wine every night again.

All I can say is I am rooting for you. If you manage to not drink, imagine how amazing you will feel.

Steve
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

JUST A TID BIT OF INFO- you are having problems with the mental obssesion, cravings are only when you take a drink- the obssesion is the worst part of the problem cause it always leads to the first one - what works get a sponser who take you through the steps as they are outlined in the AA book- worked for me and many many more GOOD LUCK
Old 12-12-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FastSteve View Post
Hi Rob

Yeah that must be f***ing hard. I am having similar thoughts. I'm only 7 days and already I've had 1 little slip-up (I had some wine in Sunday evening with the girlfriend). I didnt get drunk or anything but still feel like I let myself down.

Today I drove home from work and had exactly the same thoughts - shall I, shant I. One moment I think ' No, I'l regret it' and the next 'Oh, just a little wine when I get in from work wont hurt'. But I bet if I did it wouldnt be long before I'm drinking 2 bottles of wine every night again.

All I can say is I am rooting for you. If you manage to not drink, imagine how amazing you will feel.

Steve
I hear ya man, I'm starting to feel better already, just by coming to this website over the last few minutes and posting...thanks man...
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mae164 View Post
JUST A TID BIT OF INFO- you are having problems with the mental obssesion, cravings are only when you take a drink- the obssesion is the worst part of the problem cause it always leads to the first one - what works get a sponser who take you through the steps as they are outlined in the AA book- worked for me and many many more GOOD LUCK
Thanks alot for that, I never looked at it as a mental obsession, but you are right now that I think about it...I have gone to an AA meeting and have a list of phone numbers to call. I may call one of those guys and ask for a sponsor is that the normal AA etiquette...sorry I'm very new to recovery...tks
Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mae164 View Post
JUST A TID BIT OF INFO- you are having problems with the mental obssesion, cravings are only when you take a drink
I'm new to recovery and I haven't had this explained to me yet but makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea,call someone or go to a meeting and listen who ever you ask to take you through the steps you should ask them a couple of question ( they will ask you even though you may not realize it) 1. Have you had a spiritual awakining as the result of the steps? 2. Can you take me through it as it is written in the AA book? ( the answers should be yes- if not or they hesitate ask someone else Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions! I always ask tons of questions about everything-you will never know if you dont ask!! WELCOME
Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, so far so good, I'm off to pick my kids up at school. Then I'm gonna try to keep myself busy until my wife gets home. Cheers and thanks for the advice
Old 12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hmmmn...I never actually "interviewed" anyone for the job of sponsor...I just asked if they would be, and was grateful they said yes.

I think it's important, if you are going to meetings, go to a lot of different ones, talk and listen to people, try to find someone whose sobriety you admire, always pick someone the same sex as you (age doesn't necessarily matter...all my sponsors were younger than me, and everyone I sponsored were younger, too).

Good Luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I got through the evening without drinking. Man that was my worst night yet, I even just asked my wife if I could just have one and she (God Bless her) said "No, it's for the party"... When I quit I told her I needed her support because there are gonna be days, evenings (are the worst) when the obsession to drink will be particularly strong and I don't need her to be "nice"...I want to be told an unequivocal "NO!" and thats what she did last night.

So I drank herbal tea, coffee, played with my kids and did everything to get my mind off it. I also ate like a pig too, and once I was ovefull I didn't feel like drinking LOL... although better than drinking, overeating has it's own host of problems down the road too, so I gotta watch it...

Well, I hope everyone is doing ok! If I can get through today, it's another notch on the sobriety belt and will be Day 17...