Notices

not drinking, but not recovering either

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Question

Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
The thing is I'm not recovering. I'm not drinking but I havn't taken any further action.
Don't rest on your laurels. You are taking action by not taking action. Does that make any sense?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
I've been on the wagon 69 Days now. The thing is I'm not recovering. I'm not drinking but I havn't taken any further action.
So, my question is, to get better what do I need to do next?
Hey Aldo:

Congratulations on day 69. Recovery is a journey and what you coming to realize is that recovery isn't just about abstinence from alcohol. It's about looking inward at ourselves and peeling the layers of the onion back. It's about getting to the promised land of serenity where we are free from the bondage of addiction. It's about living a lifestyle free from obsessions and compulsions. You need a mentor - someone has been where you are and knows how to get to where you want to go.

Peace.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lurker

My only thought would be go to a meeting, and get a sponcer.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

OK...you're not drinking, and that's a very good thing. If you really want to know "the next step", I'd say, "Lots of AA meetings, where you'll learn to "change" through working the rest of the 12 Steps...you've really only gotten as far as Step One.

Try it...you may find your answer.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Abstinence does not Equal Recovery

Just not drinking does not treat all the aspects of Alcoholism, it arrests the phenomena of craving which is what makes it very difficult if not impossible for an alcoholic to moderate or control drinking after putting it into the system, but that is all not drinking does. There is still the obsession of the mind that can't bring to memory with sufficient force, the pain and suffering of past drinking episodes. There is also the spiritual malady described wonderfuly on page 52 in the Big Book.

Have you ever considered that maybe you ae not alcoholic? Find someone who is properly armed with the facts about themselves, ie. what it means to be alcoholic and what the solution that the AA program of recovery offers is all about.

The fact that you are 69 days removed from alcohol is good, the fact that you are not DONE WITH THE STEP PROCESS is a shame, and not your fault at all. If you are like me, your life literaly depends on having a spiritual awakening as the results of working the steps. Please consider finding a Big Book sponsor who will help you find your truth. God Bless, Rob
Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Aldo,

Good to have wishes and goals.

"A job; I wish I hadn't totaled my Porsche; a girl; money; friends; etc ect"
-Aldo

The fact that you are at least clear headed enough to see that you have a journey ahead of you is excellent. 69 days is a lot more than none, however if all we did in sobriety is "just stop doing something (drinking)" do we really have any right for expectations of reward?

The "stuff", this includes cars, ladies, and employment does happen, just like it does to those who don't have drinking problems, but we have to go out and GET THEM!
In order to do that it is suggested that we work a program that will allow us to change the behavior that causes us to drink to stupidity. AA has allowed me to change my life. When I take a cake each year it is to celebrate DOING SOMETHING, not to commemorate another year of NOT DOING SOMETHING (drinking).

You are headed down the right path, but just because you found the trail won't get you down it until you start taking STEPS!!! Just a subtle AA suggestion, complete with sponsor.

Good job, now jump in and really enjoy your sacrifice.

Good luck,

Jon