Notices

Like it or not, 'Tis The Season

Old 12-17-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad you were able to get a pretty good night's rest. that sure does help!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Apologies to Clement Moore!

'Twas a week before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring...not even a mouse!

I wish that were the case here...my roomie is still roaming the halls at night...waking me up in the process!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there. I hope Santa brings extra to fill up my elastic surgical hose!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

The children were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of video games danced in their heads.

Of all the many Christmas stories, this is my favorite...I used to tell it to my grandchildren...I hope they remember it, and will pass it on.

Many centuries ago, as written by Anatole France, there lived a man by the name of Barnaby. He was a juggler who lived from day to day on the small donations he received. He went from town to town and he would take knives or balls and juggle them. And that is all that he could do. He felt embarrassed over his lack of talent. He almost felt totally useless. People in the town in which he juggled would be involved in their business work. Some would run small little shops. Some were doctors and teachers. And Barnaby would see all these people working every day and be more discouraged with each passing day.

One day on his travels he was passing a huge monastery and he started to think and pray. Maybe, if they let me enter this monastery I can do the most menial tasks, do something positive and save my soul and have more meaning and happiness in my life.

He knocked on the monastery door and was greeted by the brother who was in charge of all the monastic duties. Barnaby told him he would perform the most menial tasks for just a place to sleep and a little something to eat. He was admitted and was given a small place in which to live and told when meal time was to happen. He did this for months and seemed to find more meaning and happiness to his life. But then his sense of meaning and happiness started to lessen. He knew all around him that the brothers of the monastery were preparing for Christmas. One brother was writing a new musical score for the midnight Mass. Anther brother was making special bread to be given to the poor on Christmas Day. Another brother was making a beautiful Christmas crib for the birth of the Christ Child. Barnaby, in seeing what was done by others so talented, felt more inadequate than ever. His sense of his own inferiority became more painful than ever. Christmas was coming closer. And what was he doing but the most menial jobs in the monastery. He went to bed each night heartbroken.

But then one night, and no explanation has been found for this, he took his small little blanket and his eight juggling balls and went to the chapel. He stood in front of the statue of Our Blessed Mother and gave her the only talent he had, the art of juggling. At that moment something extraordinary happened. The statue of our Blessed Mother almost came alive with radiance that Barnaby had never seen before. The brothers of the monastery, seeing how the chapel was becoming filled with this new light, rushed in thinking that something tragic had taken place. The Abbot was there and as all of them came into the Chapel they saw Barnaby juggling with joy and happiness, as the perspiration dripped from his forehead into his eyes.

The monks were so startled by the scene, they rushed forward to put an end to Barnaby's foolishness. Just then, the chapel was filled with a blinding light, and the statue of Mary suddenly came to life, stepped down from her pedestal and wiped the sweat from Barnaby's brow. The monks dropped to their knees in adoration.

This man who thought he had so little talent had brought joy to Mary, the Mother of Christ, at Christmas time. The lessons from the story of Barnaby, the juggler of our Lady, has application to everyone who thinks that he is untalented and that he does not matter. The story is a reminder to all of us that each one has a talent that if used can light up the life of many people.

The story of Barnaby, the juggler, the individual who, though he was a nothing in anyone's eyes, teaches us that God has given to each one gifts and talents that if used can bring greater joy and meaning into each one's life. The story of Barnaby, the juggler of our Lady, teaches each one that you have a purpose, a value, a meaning that will become clearer when you daily use the talent that God has given you.

Last edited by Jersey Nonny; 12-19-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Don't know what happened to my Christmas Dreamer in the previous post...but, then, strange things have been happening at SR lately. I've somehow lost credit for about 1,000 posts! What's up with that?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

When I jumped out of bed at an earsplitting sound, down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound!

I may not make it here until late tomorrow...they're having a musical program in the morning. So, this is for Thursday.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i love this thread! thanks again, jersey!

:day4
Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

For the past several months (since my finances are extremely limited), I've been doing some little arts and crafts things for the little kids...suncatchers, painted stuffed animals in tiny muslin bags with handles. One of the residents that I'm particularly friendly with was visited by her granddaughter and great granddaughter yesterday. I had an extra elephant in a bag, so I gave it to the little girl...not quite three years old. The Mom said, "Say Merry Christmas to the lady, Eva." Eva said, "Trick or Treat." How adorable was that!?!

Just saw some five year olds visiting from a local pre-school...they were gathered around the huge tree in the lobby singing the usual songs. It's really all about the children, isn't it!?!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

'Twas the night before Christmas, we were all in the club,
Enjoying a meeting, instead of the pub.
The ashtrays were clean, and the coffee was made,
The Big Books were out and we all had prayed.
When out in the lot, there arose such a clatter,
We all jumped up to see what was the matter.
The Chair with his Big Book, and I with my smokes,
Headed outside to find these two blokes.
They came on inside and sat at the table;
And said that they'd chair, as soon as they're able.
To start with, they said, "It's more than not drinking;
It's doing your best to fix your sick thinking."
"Think, Think, Think!" and the slogans we used,
Help keep the newcomer from getting confused.
Step 1 is a start, they said we should know,
But after Step 2, we'll be all aglow.
We make a decision when we got to Step 3;
Step 4 was real tough, we all could agree.
Step 5 is the one where we let it all out,
And after Steps 6 and 7, we're left with no doubt.
When we got to Step 8, we made our list;
And then with Step 9, we have to persist.
After Step 9, the promises ring true;
We didn't just make that up, right out of the blue.
After that, it's on with the rest;
The things we must do, to be our best.
They put on their coats and got ready to leave;
A pretty good end, for this Christmas Eve.
As to their names, we only could guess;
Must have been Bill W. and Dr. Bob S.
The two men hopped into a '35 Ford,
And as they pulled out, one of them roared:
"We leave this message, for our sisters & brothers:
trust God, clean house, and be of service to others.
And for all of you people, I just want to say:
have a nice holiday, but don't drink today!"

Today I know that the light at the end of the tunnel is an old-timer
walking ahead of me with a lantern

Happy Holidaze Nonny!

love and many blessings...

Rusty Z
Old 12-20-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A therapeutic thread...

Jersey when you get back here on Friday please remind me again how to remember the past without wallowing around in misery over it? My husband took me out to dinner & Christmas music was playing. On came, "Another Auld Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. (It didn't help that Dan just died at 56 of prostate cancer.) That song was popular the Christmas my first husband and I were breaking up (due to HIS alcoholism). We had been so close, to lose each other was unthinkable - but it happened. Anyway, there I was having a nice time with my husband & thinking all the sad thoughts were out of my system, but no - I choked up horribly & made an idiot of myself - had to leave the table & run for the ladie's room. I can usually choke down these feelings, but this time it didn't work. Sobs came from deep inside, for all that was lost due to alcohol. If I had been my husband I would have been so hurt & would have wondered why those old memories could still get me even when I'm happy today - and all he did was hand me a tissue. I would never have been that gracious, I'm sure. Ironically, someone stopped the song from continuing and a different one started to play, something much lighter. I was able to compose myself. When I got home I thought - well maybe this is what I need - while anesthetized by alcohol I never felt anything - just shoved it all down. Now I'm reacting to things I thought were long buried. It's a process I guess we all have to go through sooner or later. I don't want to be a downer - but thank you all for listening.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Santa Stats

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in

Santa Stats

There are currently 78 people named S. Claus
living in the U.S. -- and one Kriss Kringle:wtf2.
(You gotta wonder about that one kid's parents)

December is the most popular month for nose jobs.

Weight of Santa's sleigh loaded with one Beanie Baby
for every kid on earth: 333,333 tons.

Number of reindeer required to pull a 333,333-ton s
sleigh: 214,206 -- plus Rudolph.

Average wage of a mall Santa: $11 an hour.
With real beard: $20.

To deliver his gifts in one night, Santa would have to
make 822.6 visits per second, sleighing at 3,000 times
the speed of sound.

At that speed, Santa and his reindeer would burst into flame
instantaneously.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Top 10 Elf Pet Peeves

Okay, one more since you insist....

Top 10 Elf Pet Peeves

10. After too much eggnog, Mrs. Claus is "all hands."

9. Ever since they hit the big time, those damn Keebler Elves act like we don't exist.

8. Santa keeps asking, "Does this suit make me look fat?"

7. That idiot Blitzen always mistaking you for a chew toy.

6. You're enjoying the Jacuzzi, and Santa gets in naked.

5. Now have to work through coffee breaks thanks to the McCaughey septuplets.

4. It's at least a thousand miles from North Pole to nearest strip club.

3. Next to "race" on the census forms, there's never a box marked "elf."

2. Hookers who laugh when you take your pants off.

1. Health plan doesn't cover sleigh rash.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Captain Lurker

Hevyn, that was very nice story. Your current husband sounds like a wonderful man. I feel for you about the 1st husband thing, I spent the majority of my 1st marriage drunk I think that is how I got through it. Now I have a wonderful man who loves me and my kids very deeply and I am so grateful to have met him. Have a wonderful christmas
Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks, nan for lightening things up and Krissy for what you said. I'm blessed to have SR to turn to & share things no one else would understand.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I love this thread too.

Jersey, I lost about 500 posts too. Now I'm back at 627.

Only 4 more days till Christmas. Santa Kitty's coming to all of the good kitties. Or Santa paws if you have dogs.

Barb
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Gee...I guess we'll have Santa Kitty (4 cats) AND Santa Paws (a chihuahua). We still have pm's, they're just different...more options.

Jersey - I actually don't want Christmas to come, because I don't want this thread to end

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

A bag full of toys he had slung over his back, and he looked like a peddler as he opened his sack.

I'm so glad more of you are getting into the Christmas spirit, although it looks like even Santa gets overwhelmed at times.

I'm off to enjoy a lobster brunch, but I'll be back later to acknowledge all your posts!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Thanks for that version, Rusty...never heard it before. Some people are so clever, aren't they!?! Must have been an alkie that composed it!!!

Jersey when you get back here on Friday please remind me again how to remember the past without wallowing around in misery over it?
Joanie...if I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't have burst into tears when I heard my first love had passed away. This after I hadn't seen him for over thirty years, both of us had been married (to other people) for many years...the news came quite by accident from a gal who happened to be divorced from his brother-in-law...small world!

I can tell you so many things I've done over the years that most folks would think are just plain maudlin sentimentality...but, I can't help it...that's the kind of person I am. BTW...I can never get through Auld Lang Syne without choking up...if not actually bawling like a big baby!

nandm...the Santa Stats and Elves Pet Peeves were informative, clever, and cute...thanks for sharing them. Honestly, I've always wondered if there wasn't something a bit perverse about a grown man (big, fat jolly one, at that) hanging out with all those "little people"!

All you pet lovers...how many of you have "dressed up" yours for the holidays? We had some adorable photos of our pup with reindeer ears.

Barb & Amy...nothing says we can't enjoy The Spirit of Christmas all year long!

Has everyone finished Christmas shopping? Remember to do something nice for yourself...you deserve it. I always knew when my shopping was done, because I would buy a little something for myself. It always made me feel good about me!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Thanks for that version, Rusty...never heard it before. Some people are so clever, aren't they!?! Must have been an alkie that composed it!!!

Jersey when you get back here on Friday please remind me again how to remember the past without wallowing around in misery over it?
Joanie...if I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't have burst into tears when I heard my first love had passed away. This after I hadn't seen him for over thirty years, both of us had been married (to other people) for many years...the news came quite by accident from a gal who happened to be divorced from his brother-in-law...small world!

I can tell you so many things I've done over the years that most folks would think are just plain maudlin sentimentality...but, I can't help it...that's the kind of person I am. BTW...I can never get through Auld Lang Syne without choking up...if not actually bawling like a big baby!

nandm...the Santa Stats and Elves Pet Peeves were informative, clever, and cute...thanks for sharing them. Honestly, I've always wondered if there wasn't something a bit perverse about a grown man (big, fat jolly one, at that) hanging out with all those "little people"!

All you pet lovers...how many of you have "dressed up" yours for the holidays? We had some adorable photos of our pup with reindeer ears.

Barb & Amy...nothing says we can't enjoy The Spirit of Christmas all year long!

Has everyone finished Christmas shopping? Remember to do something nice for yourself...you deserve it. I always knew when my shopping was done, because I would buy a little something for myself. It always made me feel good about me!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

nonny
Must have been an alkie that composed it!!!
ya think?

welcome back dear nonny!