Notices

First real thought about drinking in 11 days

Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First real thought about drinking in 11 days

I stopped drinking on Tuesday, October 2nd. Things have been going really well until today. I haven't had an urge to drink, and have really enjoyed being sober.

Until today. While talking with my 89 year-old mother, I found out that my 90 year-old father's condition is worse than I thought. She'd been holding back, and not telling me things about his condition.

I was really shaken. After I got off the phone, I thought for the first time in 11 days about how good a beer would feel. I had to remind myself that the reason I've been feeling so bad and depressed has been because of the beer, and that drinking doesn't solve any problem.

I mentioned to my wife that I was having my first thoughts about drinking, and she said she knew I was. I don't know how she knew, but she did.

Prior to the phone call, I was feeling really good. I'd had three sixpacks in my trunk the last two weeks, and I stopped at the liquor store and asked if they'd like to have them. When they asked why, I just explained that I'd stopped drinking. They offered me a pack of Coke or Pepsi, but I said no, I just wanted to get rid of the beer.

Tomorrow I have to go talk to my father for the umpteenth time and try to convince him to go into assisted living. It's going to be grueling, frustrating, and extremely depressing. And I probably won't accomplish one darn thing with that stubborn old man.

So, I have to steel myself for that, and tell myself that, no matter how emotional it gets, I'm not going to drink.

I sure wish I'd quit drinking years ago when my dad was younger and healthy. Now it's two battles to contend with.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Fitzpatrick, Just hang in there and don't drink. I know it's easier said then done sometimes. I'm 3 weeks today myself.

I can relate to worrying about your parents. Mine live in Texas and I live here in NY. I hate that they moved out there with their health problems and everything. But there's nothing i can do about it. They're gonna do what their gonna do. Just like an alcoholic won't quit drinking until their ready.

I don't know if I helped any or not. But your not alone in this. Just keep writing on here and reading. Hang in there.

Barb
Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Fitz. I am glad your here. My experience is that it is ok and very normal for us to think about drinking or using. That is how I dealt with tough situations most of my life. As long as I do not pick up the drink or drug then I will be okay.

Are you going to any AA meetings??

It is working for me....Keep posting
Old 10-14-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ah Yes..
The circle of life continues
I find facing situations easier sober.

Prayers for you and your family
zinging your way.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just carry on the way you're going. I'm sorry to hear about your father. If you can stay sober when you are sad and stressed, it's a whole lot betting than trying to cope when you're drinking.
my best wishes to you on your strength.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's hard to deal with the problems and difficulties that life brings us, but doing it sober is so much better. This is your chance to be there for your Dad, so use the opportunity.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Fitz,

Sorry to hear about your ailing parent...It is hard to know, see, a parent failing with their health...

You said it, drinking will not help...The first two weeks of my recovery was difficult..Something about the two week mark set me in cravings...I struggled for months...What saved me was coming here and AA...

Keep posting...