Notices

What is he doing at an AA meeting?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. That being said, judgement and focusing on another's program of recovery is not a sign of spiritual progress. I have found that it neither helps me nor enhances my own recovery to attempt to determine who has a chance at staying sober. Only by the grace of God am I sober today. When I compared myself with others in the room, I stayed hopelessly sick, but when I began identifying with others, I started becoming an AA. The question is not why is he there, but why are YOU there? Are you there to recover from a hopeless state of mind, body and spirit that is beyond human aid? Or are you there to compare recovery programs? Do you scoff at the chronic white chipper, the wet drunk, or the person that is getting a court paper signed? Or do you have a sense of gratitude that some of your sanity has been restored?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigSis View Post
I think I would qualify as a "high-bottom" drunk... I did not lose my home, or my car, or my family.

Just my memory, my money and my self-respect.

There may be one more drunk inside me..... and that scares the hell outta me.
"high-bottom drunk" - hmmmm, interesting term. I too have a home (paid off), am retired, two grown kids that still talk to me on occasion. Not a LOT of money, but comfortable. An RV at a lake, three cars in the driveway - one is a vintage '61 Caddy. The list goes on...

I mentioned at one of my AA "Nooners" a while back that I found it hard to identify with a lot of the "war-stories" that others talk about - losing everything that ever mattered to them. Another person said that's the "Yeah-But Club" - I can't be that bad off, yeah "THOSE folks" have hit bottom but I haven't.

Just more denial and rationalizing.... for all the "stuff" I have I am still miserable, still torn between two different lives - one that is what I have now, with one woman I love, but drinking - one that I want so bad, with another woman I love, and sober.

Like many others (I'm sure) I make some progress, then it all slips through my fingers... because of some unknown issues that are probably way MORE destructive than the drinking - the drinking is just a "refuge", an "avoidance", "the easy way"...

Having a tough time the last little while.... I know what I should do if things don't change, but can't find the courage.