Notices

Is this safe?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The way it was explained to me in DUI school was that if you have high tolerance and people in your family who are probable alcoholics, then the higher your risk of becoming an alcoholic, especially if you regularly indulge in more than the "safe" amount -- i.e., based on weight, age, sex, etc. there is a certain amount that most people can drink and get away without increasing their risk. People who go beyond that safe level only increase their risk of developing a dependency.

You can't do anything about the genetic factor, of course. Tolerance levels are subject to change. But behavior is key, you increase your tolerance the more you drink to "impairment." And an increased tolerance leads to increased risk. I did not really buy this the first time I heard it, but the more I think about it, the more I believe it. It makes sense that if you have a high tolerance, you'll probably drink more and not realize you're "impaired" until you are already at that point. Then, the more times this happens, the higher your risk is of developing alcoholism. It becomes a numb spot you think you can always fall back on whenever the going gets rough.

It's a really, really smart idea to limit the times you do drink to impairment, or to only drink the "safe" amount. I recommend looking this up on CDC or whatever. You really, really, REALLY do not want to be dependent on that stuff, take it from me and all the rest of us here.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That was all great information. I feel like if I continue to drink daily, I'm running the risk of an alcohol dependency, if I'm not there already. If i drink 5-6 light drinks two nights a week (Friday and Saturday), would I still be running the risk of developing an alcohol dependency? Or is it more of a thing that develops if you are a daily drinker? I can think of hundreds of people that are my age in my town (college town) who drink more than that on the weekends, and they don't seem to be alcohol dependent.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Power of Positive Thinking!

Howdy Bass, Glad you're here.

If you gotta' wanna' have it, even though you know you shouldn't, i.e. before a test, in the morning, or by yourself, you're probably on your way to becoming an alcoholic.

I'm similar to pinkcuda as I stopped with out a doctor's help. For me though, the morning after my last binge I just had a little headache and no energy (feelin' lazy). No other simptoms. So there weren't really any physical withdrawls. Psycologically though, it was tough to not want to drink. Stupid bud comercials. But I went to an AA meeting and that was the ticket. Been going almost everyday.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bassplayer, I really don't think it's the amount or how often you drink, it's what happens when you do drink.

And, obsessing about alcohol, counting drinks, planning your next drink - that is a sign of alcoholism.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BassPlayer01 View Post
I feel like if I continue to drink daily, I'm running the risk of an alcohol dependency, if I'm not there already. If i drink 5-6 light drinks two nights a week (Friday and Saturday), would I still be running the risk of developing an alcohol dependency? Or is it more of a thing that develops if you are a daily drinker? I can think of hundreds of people that are my age in my town (college town) who drink more than that on the weekends, and they don't seem to be alcohol dependent.
Dude, why drink and take that risk then? It doesn't sound like you are even enjoying drinking right now by worrying about it so much--so why not just stop now. If I could have stopped sooner--looking back (I probably would have.)
Old 10-09-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's good to hear snopup. So far, I haven't had any of the physical symptoms that I've read about, but for about 15 minutes earlier I did consider having a drink. I didn't, though, and I'm glad.

About the enjoying drinking thing: I really do enjoy it, a lot. That's why I want to keep doing it, but I know I need to moderate it better. I want to get to the point where if there is a day when I don't drink, I don't worry about it.

I appreciate all of the insight you all have given me, I really do.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just an update - It's now been over 24 hours my last drink, and I've decided that I'm going to quit drinking altogether. The only withdraw I've experienced has been anxiety, and I have that everyday anyways, so I'm starting to wonder if I am even detoxing... I don't think I was ever dependent after all, physically. Thanks for all of your support!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

ok I came in late...

24 hours plus and no effects - I think it's clear you're not physically dependent on it...after not even 8 weeks I'd be surprised if you were. I think sometimes some here like to try and scare the newbies straight...which is an admirable intention...I guess.

Good luck with the not drinking thing...I'm a bass player too...I know it's hard with the band thing, and the bar scene and the rock lifestyle, but it's actually not that difficult - if you really don't want to drink.

and if you find you can't stop or even moderate, there'll always be a stool here for ya

D