Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Too much to do - job, uni (how am i supposed to pt 100% into sobriety?)

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Hi all,
Sorry to moan, i'm just really on edge and anxious at the min- i really want to give sobriety 100%. I like going to meetings, i'm eager to start my 12 steps and get a sponser but recently realised i'm not sure if i'm gonna be able to do all of this. I appreciate many of you out there have had to struggle with time and thats why i've posted this, i could really do with some advice on how to manage things in my life that are happening at the min. The thing is i've just started uni, got lectures every weekday- have work set for these to do at home, i've recently signed up with an agency to work with them 2-3 days a week (i NEED to do this as i'm skint) and then on top of that i want to get to meetings, do the 12 stepse etc. and actually have a social too. I'm just wondering what people would do? Should i ask to go part time at uni if i can? Or deffer for a year- (but then i'd have nowhere to live until i got a full time job and found a place to live!) or do you think it's realistic to stay sober under the circumstances. I know it sounds as if i'm being really negative about things, and i guess i am a bit, but a lot of it is actualy realistic worrying too. Oh i dunno...any suggestions/opinions wil be greatly appreciated
Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

No part of anyone's life is 100%...we have to set priorities...learn howw to budget our time. I went back to school after six years sober through AA...I was 54 years of age. Of course, I wasn't able to go to classes full-time, because I had a full-time job, plus I worked at least 10 hours a week part-time. So, at a couple of courses a semester, it took me six years to get a two-year degree, graduating summa *** laude. In addition, I made at least five AA meetings a week.

It can be done! Whatever you set your mind to...as long as you stay sober! Best of luck to you!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jersey said it best - set your mind to it, and you can do it, sober.

Try not to overwhelm yourself. You can do this, Mandi.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You found time to drink, didn't you ?

I work full time, and I'm a single Dad of two teenage daughters. And I still find time to hit 5 meetings a week, as well as sponsor two guys.

You'll learn to prioritze things eventually, and figure out what's really inmportant in life.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to prioritize too and put aside some things, at least temporarily. It really took most of my energy to deal with my emotions, and my spiritual and physical health when I stopped drinking.

Just be kind to yourself and don't get overwhelmed.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
You found time to drink, didn't you ?
You have a good point there. Thanks--I really needed to hear that.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jersey said it perfectly...can't add anything onto what she shared, except that I had your feelings also...I have a family, a part time job, a lot of volunteer commitments...how will I stay sober? You know what...you prioritize, and you make it work. After a short while, it will become second nature....as long as you want it bad enough. You can do it too!