Notices

Day of Atonement

Old 09-22-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Day of Atonement

Today in my Faith is our Day of Atonement. I went to service and had a religious experience. I consider myself spiritual and not of any Faith (half Protestant/half Jewish) but today was amazing. We asked God to forgive us for our sins. It was like doing steps 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10, and 11 all at once. At one point, I started crying and felt the desperate urge to get on my knee's and ask the good Lord for forgiveness. Wow, talk about powerful. I was really moved. Last night I saw Passion of the Christ and lately Ive been getting into historical accounts of religion. Humans have Faith because we must. It gives meaning and purpose to our existence. Protestants believe Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead 3 days after his cruxification. Jews believe God will one day be reincarnated but hasnt yet. For me personally, who God is isnt important. The only thing that matters is that I believe God does indeed exist...and he's not a human. God is forgiving to all humans, alcoholic or not. He will forgive us for our sins if we ask. As I sat next to my Dad at service, I thought about a incident that occured when I was 19. I had been arrested again and was hopelessly addicted to drugs. I cried on my Dad's shoulder uncontrollably because I knew I was sick and dying. I had been forgiven for that many years ago, but I didnt forgive myself. Today in the House of God, I was able to let go of that incident. I feel pure, like I had washed the toxins of self-hatred out from underneath me. The big book refers to AA as spiritual kindergarden, and today I feel like I reached a new plateau. The are many places to connect with God outside of the rooms. God is everywhere! Sorry for the lead but I have the spirit inside of me ready to unleashed.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing such a moving experience...
it touched my heart.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

L'Shanna Tovah!
(Happy New Year!)

L'Chaim!
(To Life!)
Old 09-22-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Chicago for sharing your experience.I also believe God is forgiving to all,if anything we are our own harshest critics.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

thank you Chicago!

at One Ment
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for sharing that with us.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Well

Thank You.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
L'Shanna Tovah!
(Happy New Year!)

L'Chaim!
(To Life!)
It seems to me you have the best of several worlds, Steve...Judeo/Christian/AA. As you described your "spiritual experience", I could feel the presence of my Higher Power...and, I, too, feel blessed. Thank you for a very inspirational share.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Slight Correction

It is important to me to make a correction. Of what importance it will be to others remains to be seen.

Jews, in general, do not await the resurrection of the messiah in particular. We await everyone's resurrection which I think is in line with what Christians believe even if we disagree on the details. See your local accepted religious authority and clear up any questions you may have about the details of your religious faith.

I also saw the Passion of the Christ. While I didn't like the violence, it seemed justified within the context of the movie and I wanted to be sure I saw it before I criticized it. It is difficult to criticize. It seems like a fairly accurate representation of the Christian Scriptures. My only objection, if you could call it that, was the kindness of Pilate (sp?). He was a tough guy and only softened up later... much later.

These are small corrections that I hope do not take away from the larger and more important message of recovery.

Alex H.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thanks for posting, chicago! and nice to meet you, ah1270!

blessings, k