Notices

What about AA?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What about AA?

I was considering going to a meeting but I have a few issues:

I don't tend to play well with others. Are there alot of strong/obnoxious/weepy types in there? What is the format of the meetings?

Will I be the youngest one there? Will they feel like "hell girl, I've spilled more beer than you've drank"

How much does god factor in this program (remember I'm in North carolina), because I'm pretty much an atheist

Are there many women?

I guess I just don't know what to expect.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you'll fit right in, just don't expect anything.
There's plenty of women in AA and there's different meetings
you can go to. So you can't just judge AA only by a couple of meetings.
shop around. Pick up a BB and reserch on alcohism to educate yourself about
alcoholism and AA, rahter then reliaing on what you heard.

if you don't like AA then there's NA.
I'm from a small town so there's not much to choose from
but there's other recovery program, chose what works for you.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello again,

I loved your 'don't play well with others' - I don't either, and I fit in nicely at AA.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Haha, I don't mean to be disrespectful at all, I just liked your post. I hope you find what you're looking for there. I have no idea cause today is my first meeting.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but I think you need to do whatever works for you and your recovery. It's an ongoing process!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I don't tend to play well with others.
LOL I didn't either, but then again I was a drunk, most drunks I know do not know how to play well by them selfs little lone with others!!!

Seriously call your local AA and ask about an open meeting or a speakers meeting, you do not have to do a single thing in a meeting if you do not want to, just sit in the back and listen. If some one does ask you to share simply say "No thanks I am just listening."

Will I be the youngest one there? Will they feel like "hell girl, I've spilled more beer than you've drank"
Not knowing your age I don't know, but in our area we do have one young man who is 15 & quite a few teenagers & folks in their early 20s at some meetings. When you call AA tell them what kind of age group you would be more comfortable with.

How much does god factor in this program (remember I'm in North carolina), because I'm pretty much an atheist
AA is about spirituality and not religion, finding a Higher Power of ones understanding is one of the primary keys to long term sobriety, the thing to keep in mind is it is not a Higher Power of some one elses, it is YOUR Higher Power, what ever you decide on, it could be AA as a whole, it could be anything that is more powerful then you and alcohol, that is all you need.

I call my Higher Power God because if you look up the definition of God he fits it, but it is my Higher Power, not a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or any other sects God, it is mine that I understand. My sponsee is an Agnostic and he has found his Higher Power that is his and his alone.

Are there many women?
According to statistics about 30%, there are women only meetings which is a great place for some ladies to start.

Check out this link for the types of AA meetings and a lot of other AA info http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 09-11-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you know what they say at aa and alanon - give a handful of meetings a try. if you're not satisfied, they'll gladly refund your misery.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AA is for anyone who desires to quit drinking.

Just go and listen.
Think of a meeting as a classroom for sobriety.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I don't tend to play well with others. Are there alot of strong/obnoxious/weepy types in there? What is the format of the meetings?
You'll find every type of person imaginable at meetings. Some are outgoing...some are introverted. You don't have to "socialize", if you don't want to.

There are Open Speaker Meetings (which I would suggest you concentrate on in the beginning of your sobriety...because you'll probably feel more comfortable there).

There are Closed Discussion Meetings (if you pick up a meeting book at your first meeting, it's all explained in there...just ask someone for a meeting book).

Does it really matter how old the people at the meetings are? You're there to stay sober...if you eventually develop some friendships, all well and good.

There may be some who feel that way...but, how would they know how often/much you drank? You don't fill out an application for membership. Just show up, sit down, relax, and listen.

How much does god factor in this program (remember I'm in North carolina), because I'm pretty much an atheist.

Are there many women?

I guess I just don't know what to expect.
Thanks
AA's believe in a power greater than ourselves...we don't believe we get/stay sober by sheer will-power.

There are usually plenty of women at Open Meetings; and, of course, there are Women's Meetings (you'll find everything listed in a meeting book).

You'll never know what to expect until you give it a try. AA is not some mysterious cult of two-headed aliens. "Alcoholics Anonymous is an organization of men and women who share their experience, strength, and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism."

Try it...you may find you like it...I certainly hope so. Let us know.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will. I'm just nervous and still feeling very very weird. it's only been 5 days

OMG it's been 5 days!!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Well, for Goodness Sakes, Hon! You've just about detoxed! No wonder you're feeling weird. One day at a time...but, do try to get to a meeting. It really can't hurt.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Ditto on the AA meeting!

It works for me.

Folks there of all kinds, but all are on the road to recovery.

You need never be alone again.

Ted
Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Congrats on your five days! It'll just keep getting better..promise.

I had all the same concerns as you regarding AA. I would also suggest you go to an Open speakers meeting at first. Try different meetings too. I'm always glad to see young people (good God I'm talking like I'm 80 or something) at meetings, and in my area there are ALOT of women your age around. I go to a wonderful BB meeting (where everyone takes turns reading out of the Big Book) on Thursdays and that's where I met some terrific women and my sponsor. It took me awhile to find that meeting..so be patient.

As for the HP thing, well this is always a topic of concern. I've been just finding out what my HP is to me..so, again, be patient. Nobody is going to throw a bible at ya when you walk in..

Good luck!!!

Karen