Notices

spirituality and recovery

Old 07-18-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

spirituality and recovery

I'm slowly accepting the need to surrender control over my life, though I find the whole concept very difficult as I'm undeniably agnostic. I'm by no means opposed to religion, nor do I believe that people with faith in god are misled. It's simply that the idea of god has never worked for me, so to speak. I'm sure that I'm not the only person here who feels this way and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to reconcile these two seemingly contradictory beliefs.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello there, Medievalknievel.

I think spirituality is different from a religion. Spirituality is my connection to the universe and all within it. Religion is the rituals performed, the 'outside' of my 'inside'. I practice Wicca myself, quite different from the prevalent Christianity in the nation in general, and AA in particular. I've had a few snide comments from some folks, but I didn't let that stop me. One's concept of a higher power is a very personal thing. I was agnostic/atheist for quite some time. I've always been the rational, need to see it to believe it, what's the equation for that kind of person.

But when I look up at the stars at night, when I see those pictures of those distant galaxies, when I see a flower, a leaf, an animal, an innocent child, I begin to realize that there is NO WAY this all some random collection of quarks and protons and electrons. Even with evolution, it MUST have been guided by something other 'random' mutations.

As to your comment that god has never worked for you, you must understand that you also play a role in this all. The next time a 'coincidence' happens to you, step back for a moment. Was it really a coincidence, or did something/someone decide to allow that to happen? The mysteries of the universe are many. I don't believe us humans could EVER fully understand it.

That's my view. I hope it helped. In the meantime, take a look at the Secular Connections forum. There ARE many others that feel the way you do. The important thing to do is find something that works for YOU. You don't owe anyone an explanation of why you believe/don't believe in whatever. Whatever can help you stay sober is good enough for anyone.

Oh- love your sig!

My best to you, my friend!

BHJ
Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had no idea that I needed to surrender my life. But, I was the ultimate control freak. I was so afraid of letting go of anything, for fear my life would fall apart. Well, eventually I cracked and began drinking in an attempt to continue to hold things together. I think it was at the end of my drinking, when I was really low and lost and wondered was it all worth it, that I connected spiritually with god, with the universe. I know there is a force far more powerful than I am and I have put my life in his hands. It's scary and at times, I still get the urge to wrestle back the control, but things have gone a lot more smootly and much better since I took a step back.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, Anna.

I'm up way past my bedtime. Too much coffee at the meeting!

Blessings be to you.

BHJ
Old 07-19-2007, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hi Medieval..

"Surrender to win"...

It took me years to finally get that one pertaining to my alcoholism.

Then, in the Big Book of AA I read..

"We have ceased fighting anyone, and anything, even alcohol."

I am learning to apply this principle in all my affairs...

I won't share my personal beliefs..other than I have a strong faith

in God..some days more, some days less..

But my belief , or..my Higher Power has kept me clean and sober for

13 months now.

Wow!

Now that's a real miracle for this hopeless alcoholic...

My best to you in recovery,

Love,

:

IO