Notices

Natural Treatments for insomnia

Old 05-14-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Natural Treatments for insomnia

Lately, I have been sleeping better with the help of Linden tea. It doesn't knock me out but it helps me go to sleep faster. Has any one else tried this herb to treat insomnia? I've used it a couple of times this past week but I intend to use it more often. I wonder if it is harmful to you? I believe since it is natural it has to be o.k., right? I'm also wondering if you use it regularly or often does the effect diminish? Anyone out there with some experienced with this herb?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of Linden tea but after my husband got clean, he had a really hard time sleeping. He takes Melantonin and sometimes something called Relora, which is a combination of different natural substances.

With any natural herb, you need to check with your doctor if you are on other prescription medications. Herbs can interfere with the prescription drug and either make it not as potent as it should be or cause other dangerous problems like high blood pressure, low blood sugar etc......
Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Night Green Tea helps too.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use valerian or melatonin both make a big difference
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I take melatonin and Calms Forte (homeopathic remedy). It works better than nothing at all.. though I still wake during the night and can't get back to sleep.

I'll have to look up linden tea and see what it is and the Relora? Never heard of either.

Good advice from JWife. Not all herbs and supplements are safe for everyone. Just because something is natural doesn't mean there's no side effects. Talk to your doctor, or at the very least do some research about what you're going to take.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link is helpful for your sleeping problem...

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Take care...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good advice about the herbal remedies. I found out in early sobriety that St. John's Wort had a negative effect on me.

Exercise, eating healthy, and lots of green tea was the biggest help for me.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your input and insight. I'm of Hispanic origin (American of Mexican Ancestry) and had always heard of linden tea(Te de Tila in Spanish) as a remedy for insomnia or worries from my grandmother, aunts and mother. I never had tried it before because I was always able to manage insomnia through strong will, sleeping pills or alcohol. Now that I'm sober and plan to stay that way (One month now!!!!)I'm looking a little help from mother nature. It is a green tea, by the way.

Thank you all and god bless.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go on a month!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Warm milk with honey, or Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Tea; it has chamomile, spearmint, lemon grass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn berries and rosebuds.

"The sweetest way I think of you is when the day is done"
~Emily Dickinson
Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suffered with insomnia for some time... perhaps I didn't have "insomnia" but I had a problem relaxing and getting to sleep because my mind was racing...

So here goes it...

Dim lights after 9:00 (going to bed at 11:00)

Climb in bed at say 10:45... and read or do chess puzzels or soduko until I feel sleepy... put book down and turn of light (without getting out of bed or stretching to reach the lamp... ) and close eyes... If I am not asleep in less than 5 minutes... I get out of bed and do something until I feel sleepy then I lay down and go back to my book/puzzels...

Another thing that helps me is those foamy ear plugs... sometimes I get hyper sensitive to sounds... like a woodpecker can just drive me insane... or if you got a cricket in the crawl space...

Excercise also helps me sleep more soundly...