Notices

Catch 22

Old 04-18-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Paul I used detox to get sober because my doctor "HIGHLY" reccommended I do not try to detox by myself. In detox at about day 3 or 4 when the fog kind of started to lift, I started to grasp what they were teaching us there, they discussed several different long term recovery programs available, but told us flat out that our best chance at long term sobriety was with AA.

I will not BS you, at first staying sober was hard as hell. But by going to over 90 AA meetings in 90 days and getting a sponsor as the detox center reccommended it made all the difference in the world.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Dee, the disability issues I have seen addressed in my area AA meetings, several of them have wheel chair ramps and we have several guys that have speech problems, one of them had his laranyx removed due to throat cancer. The one thing you will not find very often in the rooms of AA are people judging people. We have several small meetings in some folks homes that can not get out to meetings on occasion as well. Check it out if you are interested, they may have some in your area, keep in mind if you do not want to talk at a meeting there is nothing that requires you to do so.

The only requirement to be a member of AA is a desire to stop drinking.

The only rule in AA is there are no rules.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

food for thought

Thanks Taz,

I realise it's important to have as many tools in the toolbox as possible, so I have been looking into it...I'm not anti AA at all or anything...although it is good to know now that there is no requirement to talk...I'm working my way through the 12 steps too, cos I think that's a tried and tested and common sense programme...

just a little scared that the stress of simply saying my name let alone trying to say anything else about myself, might be too much...but if, as I suspect, the folks there are like the folks here, it might not be so bad...I'll let you know if I decide to go

D
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
I must say I'm impressed mate...14 days would seem like years for me and you've done it all by yourself apart from the sage advice from good people on this forum.
Be proud mate and hold your head high..I think it's posts like yours that can really inspire people to beat this **** of a disease.
Hang in there Mate...I know what being alone is too well.
Cheers Paul
thanks Paul...but I really don't feel as if I've done this one my own...apart from the great help and support here, I let my friends into the extent of my drinking problem...just the fact of not having to 'hide' anymore has really helped as well...

hang in there yourself mate - I'm on this thing at least once a day...usually more !!

D