Notices

Just want to introduce myself...

Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hi, caitlin.....everything i would have said has already been said here......by these good people....i'm glad you found us.........

btw.....love your name, 11 is my lucky number....
Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

Caitlin, welcome. I read your post and could relate to everything you said, as I was in the exact position you are. In the past months I have come clean to my parents, family, and fiance. For me, honesty is the only way I can overcome my addiction. Remember that victory lies in the admission of defeat. There is growth despite pain, I have learned so much, and I feel so much better for myself, all because I am clean and sober. I am going to outpatient rehab, going to meetings, have a sponsor, and working the steps. I am praying for you right now and I will continue to read your posts. When I decided to be clean, I was also 23, I'm 24 now, and alcohol and drugs do not control my life anymore, I control my life.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, caitlan! i have a 22 year old daugther who has been working on recovery for around six months. she goes to aa and has met a lot of younger people there. she thought the idea of never drinking again seemed daunting at first also. then, she just started taking it one day at a time. that makes it simplier.

keep posting! blessings, k
Old 03-26-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Caitlin -

Funerals can be very introspective. Think about your life and goals. You are so young . . who do you want to be? . . what do you want to accomplish? . . husband, children, career, etc.? That can't happen if you are on drugs/alcohol.

I have kids your age. And, I want to see them succeed. To me, success for my children means only their happiness. I don't care if that means a housewife, food server, or a corporate exec. Happiness = Success. You can't have happiness/success while still drinking/drugging. There are many people here on SR who can attest to that!!

Go to the doctor, come up with a plan, talk to your parents/counselor/pastor/etc.

Sorry for preaching, but you are so young and have your life to look forward to.

TinLizzy
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Caitlin

Just keep coming back and reading and reading. One thing I have learned is to replace your drinking time with something else. Go walking,visit a friend, get on here and read and drink something besides alcohol. You can do this. Good luck and I am new here to I have only been sober 14 full days and I am working on my 15th today. And I feel pretty good!!!!!!!!

SHell
Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!! Thank you for being so nice. I only get the courage to come here when I've had a few drinks. I just have a few questions in terms of symptoms so I can figure out if these things are due to alcohol or something else. Lately I've been getting a ton of cramps in my feet, legs, and hands. I used to get foot cramps and sometimes leg cramps when I was younger... my Dad said he used to have it too. But over the past couple of weeks I've gotten them a lot more than usual.. and I've never had a hand cramp before now. Also before sabout 5 days ago I'd had my "period" for the last 2 weeks... and before that I had it for about 3 weeks after about 4 days rest. Could this be some kind of internal bleeding or something? Am I just being paranoid or are these things related to alcohol? Thanks for any help you can give me
Old 04-03-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
let it grow!

can you see a doctor, caitlin, for advice? blessings, k
Old 04-03-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi caitlin, I am new as well , STILL learning how to operate this system , But I wanted to let you know that this forum serves a great purpose ,I attend NA meetings but they aren't scheduled in my area until after 4:00 pm , So I pretty much have idle time and that's no good , So in between my online job searching I periodically check to see what's happening here and struggling alone is not good, so here I is , responding to your message , And in answer to you question about the smell of alcohol on your breath , I have found that If you don't drink , that smell usually doesn't manifest itself. The alcohol also is present in your skin after drinking , trust me I know . I have ate so many onions that I had got violently ill and my wife to be could still smell it . So you shouldn't try to cover it up just stay firm in your desire to stop and keep writing we need you and you may need us . PEACE JEI

Last edited by JEI2950; 04-03-2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: mistake in sentence structure
Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

wow i'm a little surprised there weren't more answers. uhhhh........
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Caitlin,
first, I just want to tell you how brave you are for finally admitting that you have a problem, but like most problems there is a solution out there, and you sound like you're ready to take on the world sober...I'm new to this place to, and I also have an addiction...so maybe we can help each other?

-Ashlin
Old 04-09-2007, 01:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Caitlin
I'm new to this place too...so much of your story could be mine...esp the bit about visiting various liquor stores to avoid embarrassment...and the blackouts and unexplained morning injuries...and the detoxing stuff. I just went through it alone. Take the advice of others here obviously more clued in than me - get medical help if you decide to do that.

I wish I could have had the courage to visit here when I was your age...instead I went from 'functional' to the fall down neighbourhood drunk...alcohol's just so insidious, esp cos it's so socially acceptable...I spent so much time chasing the alcohol equivalent of the perfect wave....that idealised picture of me as the life of the party, the witty comedian through alcohol...it doesn't exist, trust me.

I really love this place...so much help and love and no judging...keep dropping in (and yes I'm a compulsive response checker too !!)

peace
D
Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

welcome to SR
Old 04-09-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
...I spent so much time chasing the alcohol equivalent of the perfect wave....that idealised picture of me as the life of the party, the witty comedian through alcohol...it doesn't exist, trust me.
Boy I so understand that!

I agree with others about the doctor. It's obviously concerning you. The only thing I would add (and I am not a doctor) is possibly eating bananas or taking some potassium to help with the leg cramps. I know there was a girl I used to work with that had legs cramps at times and she knew that would help her. Again a dr would be a good starting place and I would definitely write down things you are worried about before you go so you don't forget --- docs I've known appreciate this because it saves them and you time. And you get better treatment since your concerns are being addressed and not forgotten in the bustle of going to the dr (hurry up and wait forever in the waiting room and by the time you get in there ... you forget things lol)
Caitlin hope you are doing great today. and welcome!!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

*hugs*

So much of your story could have been mine. At 23 I knew I had a terrible problem, but I continued to drink for twenty more years. I deeply wish I had taken action at your age, when I first knew, instead of battling this for so many more years. So much lost time!

I know what you're saying, about feeling like I'm smarter, more interesting etc. when drinking. What's funny and sad is that when I hear what I said later or read what I wrote, it's certainly not smarter. *shudders* Not at all.

I think the reason people are hesitant to give advice on the medical issues is that most aren't doctors. (Even if there may be some doctors on the board, it would be pretty irresponsible to diagnose someone without seeing them.) I'd like to add my voice to those who are encouraging you to make an appointment to see an actual physician. They can help you! I know it was difficult for me to tell my doctor, finally. I was embarrassed. But she wasn't shocked or horrified, she was very helpful.

Just remember Caitlin - you are not the first person to have this problem, and, most of all, you are not alone.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if this will work.. posting on an old thread.. but I'll try anyway. Hi! It's Caitlin again. Now I'm 25 and I still struggle. I would like to post more but I want to see if this works first....
Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

it does cait, and post away!

sorry to hear your still struggle'n...