Notices

7 days

Old 03-01-2007, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

7 days

I've been sober for seven days. I haven't yet been to a meeting...the night I was supposed to go, I was so depressed and sad and crying I just went home and went to bed. A couldn't go with me, though my good friend said she would..but I wasn't ready I guess. I don't know.

Yesterday, I found out I have to go to court w/my exH cause they want to foreclose on the house. I'm having a difficult week! Being sober and clearheaded to deal with this crap is a benefit I guess...one of my dear friends, after listening to me rant bout all my troubles, stole that line from the movie Airplane..."looks like you picked a bad week to stop drinking"..at least I have my sense of humor....but I have to say..still sucks.

Karen
Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

7 days is great! and you're right about the benefit of being clearheaded to deal with the problems that have been building.

You can go to the meeting alone and you will quickly be surrounded by supportive and caring people. Sometimes if you come with someone it's viewed as a protective shield to keep people away. It may be better without your friend, unless of course they need to be there for themselves.

keep posting and let us know how you're doing
Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow Karen!

Well done on your sober time!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lurker

I would definateley get to a meeting. It will help so much just to be around peeps that have, and are going through what you are.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on getting through the week!

And, keep posting here, as you will find lots of support.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Hang in there.... getting sober is not easy. Just don't drink and really really try to get to a meeting before you pick up a drink. And when you get there.. grab a woman and tell her you're new and need help. This simple thing will open amazing doors to your life. You never have to go back to where you were before.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Karen!

WTG with seven days! That is a terrific start!! Keep going!!

Sorry to hear about the court date with ex -- and I'm delighted to hear you have retained your sense of humour. I think that's the only thing that carries me through some days -- the ability to laugh at myself and with my friends.

Big hugs,
CS
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats awesome, 1 week down!! You dont have to bring anyone with you to your first meeting. You will find a whole room full of people that are JUST LIKE YOU!! Walk in, say hi to people and listen. You can do this, your are worth it!!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Thanks to everyone! I know that I get A LOT of support here, as does everyone else, but I do need to go to a meeting. As the time goes on, I think about having a drink more and more, so I KNOW I need to go.

Here's a question for everyone: because of my sexuality, should I pick a woman sponsor or a male sponsor?? I think a woman, but then I'm not sure?? Any thoughts?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ha Ha, charade you are!

Talking

Hi
I have 8 days as of today. I have hit a meeting every night. I too, was afraid to go but when I went these two women practically dragged me in. It was heartwarming to say the least. I am not sure where you live, but many times there are meetings that cater to GLBT issues. Don't let that stop you-the support is what is keeping me sane and happy. YES Happy. I have not cried since that first night and I run like mad to my night meetings because it is a safety net.
7 Days is great, congratulate yourself, no matter how you did it. You got over the (what I call it anyway) 4 th day hump. I alway broke on the 4th or 5th day.
Good luck and we are all pulling for you.
melissa
Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi karen,

I'm sure you'll get a variety of responses ,but, its really not so much a matter of gender with rigid rules, but more, a question of who you respect, who carries the message of sobriety that you want to learn from.

my own sponsor is a woman with over 30 years in, who happens to have been bi, although now she is asexual.

her sponsor is a guy.I am happy to know that my grandsponsor is a guy. I like a variety of viewpoints...

good luck!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

karen.......you are doing great......there is no 'good' time to quit drinking.....unfortunately, life just goes on, and we are faced with our problems......the fact that you stayed sober through such a hard week tells me that you can make it through anything.....you are a very strong woman....

hugs
ayla
Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats