Notices

very new... 12 hours and counting

Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

very new... 12 hours and counting

Hi all,

I've come to the realisation that my drinking has to stop. I havent even been sober 24 hours yet as i find it extremely difficult to resist temptation, especially as my current situation is very stressful, although i know my drinking is making it worse.

I get bored during the day, as i am currently searching for a job and even now, at 11.44 i want a beer, i want a beer so bad that i feel like a fake even posting this!

When i look back, a lot of the things that have gone wrong in my life have been due to abuse of alcohol, i wont go into it as a lot of it is very private but im having difficulty stepping up and accepting that, believing that.

I am such a social outcast at the moment and drinking is the way i have met people because i dont have a job, i mean i have a gym membership (lightly used) but you hardly meet people there.

anyway, i've babbled, i hope i can get strength and do this.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi littlecrumpet!!! (love the name!)
You can do this!! Just take it 1 minute at a time. Try to read as many posts as possible on here, it helps a ton. Keep typing too. We will help you get through today.......and tomorrow and from then on.. You will be so proud of yourself when the day is over, I promise you that.
Can i ask how much you drink? Reason I ask, is you might want to go see your doctor for help in detoxing.........
Old 02-22-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try this: rather than counting behind (i.e. "12 hours and counting"), count ahead: "I'll make it through this hour, this day, then I'll think about tomorrow when it happens."

"
Originally Posted by littlecrumpet View Post
I get bored during the day, as i am currently searching for a job and even now, at 11.44 i want a beer, i want a beer so bad that i feel like a fake even posting this!

I am such a social outcast at the moment and drinking is the way i have met people because i dont have a job, i mean i have a gym membership (lightly used) but you hardly meet people there.

anyway, i've babbled, i hope i can get strength and do this.
There are a lot of very helpful threads here about the issue of boredom. I was SOO where you are just 41 days ago. The boredom...more importantly, the FEAR of the boredom...subsides faster than you can imagine.

I suspect that most of us substance abusers were (or felt like) social outcasts at some point in our addictions. My former best friend -alcohol-turned out to be my worst enemy.

Congrats on your first day! It's a HUGE step and should be a source of pride for you. This place is full of caring, intelligent, experienced, forgiving, loving, people and you never have to feel completely alone again.

Welcome, and I hope you'll keep us apprised of your progress...

Earl
Old 02-22-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks... i havent drunk ridiculous amounts, well to some it is, others it isnt.
Last night for example i had 5 bottles of beer, the night before however i had a bottle of wine.

so yes, it is a ridiculous amount actually.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Earl.. i just have to make it through the first few days.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, it's nice to meet you! i have a 22 year old daughter 5 plus months sober. she is now working part-time.

boredom was a real trigger for her wanting to drink also. she makes a list every night before she goes to bed of a list of things she plans to accomplish/enjoy the following day. on those tough to stay sober days - she really sticks to her plan. aa meetings help keep her on a scheduale too, and keeps her busy. meetings also keep her accountable to and focused on recovery.

blessings, k
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Welcome, Connecticut Crumpet! (I love crumpets...no matter where they originate.)

None of us got sober overnight...we've all been exactly where you are, and can totally empathize. No one understands an alcoholic like another alcoholic...doesn't matter how much, how often, how long each of us drank.

You are definitely in the right place to share your early recovery. Keep reading and posting...we are here for you.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome, glad you're here. Keep posting and stay sober!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When i look back, a lot of the things that have gone wrong in my life have been due to abuse of alcohol, i wont go into it as a lot of it is very private but im having difficulty stepping up and accepting that, believing that.
Very astute of you. Realize that you have problems because you drink. Not tyhat you drink because you have problems.

You're in the right place I can't speak for everyone, but I never really felt "part of".

Welcome, and enjoy the ride !
Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're not a fake, you have made the first and hardest step, admitting to yourself that there is a problem. That is no small thing to do, trust me we all know!! Counting forward is a great idea, a list of things to do can help too, although if you get like I did it will probably be better to just not touch anything. We're with you and wishing you the best
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi littlecrumpet . Hang in there... you have the strength already
Old 02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

boredom is a huge problem then after i drink the fatigue comes and there is no energy to do anything. I work part time and my husband sleeps at home so I can not be there during the day i never thought i would find myself suburban mommie sitting in a parking lot sneaking a beer at 12:00 when I had nothing else to do. Yuck that felt sickening just to say.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Keep coming here for support,and the wisdom in recovery.

You can do this!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i'm so glad you found us.....you can make it! there are so many good people here to help you through.....no judgement...just hope.....

hugs
ayla
Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

AA is a great way to learn how to stay sober
and to meet new sober friends.
It works super for me!

Keep in focus and keep posting with us
We do understand.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Little crumpet,

You are not a fake, even if you are drinking while you are reading this. You start with the desire to cease drinking.

For many of us, we had to get to the point where drinking could very realisticaly be lethal.

However, if you think you have a problem, the odds are very good you do.

Post here whatever mood or disposition you are in.