Notices

I'm Sick and don't think I can make it

Old 02-15-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Sick and don't think I can make it

Hi All,
I have been going to AA meetings on my lunch hour, and I listen to everyone there and everyone has a story to tell and I listen. But, the problem is, I still drink- what am I doing wrong- why can't I turn this over to my higher power- I should be 30 days sober- NOT!!! I am scared I want to get better- I even asked for a sponsor yesterday so hopefully I will get an email and one will come forward- I am so tired of this feeling in the morning hung over and anxiety....please someone what am i doing wrong
Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi recoveryforme, no there is nothing wrong with you, besides the fact that you have and addiction to alcohol. Don't beat yourself up. Asking for help is a great way to start your recovery...here is some information that might help you.

Plans:
1. Initially the plan for the alcoholic is to get dry, alcohol free.

2. Then to understand fully what alcoholism is and how they became one not the myths... I suggest getting the book "Under the Influence" Only &7.99

Those two things are important so the alcoholic can start working
on things in their lives that will give them true happines, rather than false
happiness from a bottle.

How an alcoholic works on themselves can be done in many ways. The more the alcoholic arms themselves with different tools the higher percentage at long term sobriety and happiness.

Some tools might include: Alcohol counseling, nutritional counseling, and a proven recovery program.

I say these things because everything I've read pretty much states the same things....

One of the best books to help me understand my addictions, as physiological and not psychological as many myths would have it is "Under the Influence"

Heres and exerpt from Chap 8 Regarding getting the alcoholic into treatment.

According to the book Page 132, chap 8 regarding recovery: “Bill Wilson, cofounder of A.A., lamented the fact that, in his estimation, only 1 alcoholic in 18 was able to start his sobriety in A.A.” (Read on I'm not saying A.A. is not important, or any other recovery program).

The book talks about A.A. being a very successful program for continuing sobriety through the 12 steps and fellowship. “A.A. has helped tens of thousands of alcoholics to get and stay sober, and has also been the most powerful force in getting society to accept alcoholism as a treatable disease.”(pg, 141)

Thank-you A.A.

The book “Under the Influence” refers to the alcoholic’s best chances of recovery with these things in place:

1. In-patient medical detoxification;
2. A 4 week minimum of in-patient care;
3. Educational programs which stress the physical basis of the disease and its role in causing psychological and social symptoms;
4. Intensive nutritional therapy and education;
5. Strong emphasis on A.A. for long term sobriety;
6. Thorough follow up care;
7. Involvement in the family in treatment and follow up care.*

In a lot of instances many people have become and stayed sober with with just one, two or maybe three of the above.

However, my main point is there isn’t any one thing that is 100% a guarantee, but a combination of the above empowers and arms an individual with higher % of recovery.

I really suggest you read the book. There are some exerpts from the book at this link, thanks to Greentea..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I wish you the best in life, and I hope this is of some help...lol< hope3
Old 02-15-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Originally Posted by recoveryforme View Post
Hi All,
I have been going to AA meetings on my lunch hour, and I listen to everyone there and everyone has a story to tell and I listen. But, the problem is, I still drink- what am I doing wrong- why can't I turn this over to my higher power- I should be 30 days sober- NOT!!! I am scared I want to get better- I even asked for a sponsor yesterday so hopefully I will get an email and one will come forward- I am so tired of this feeling in the morning hung over and anxiety....please someone what am i doing wrong
You're not doing anything wrong. Please don't be so hard on yourself as that kind of mentality might get you to continue to pick up a drink. Keep going to meetings. Have you introduced yourself to some people. When you say you're waiting for an email from a potential sponsor, does that mean you're looking for one online rather than in the meetings you're attending?

For me, I had to get into the steps. I had to learn about the diease. I can't try to live the solution until I begin to understand the problem (the diease). Sitting down with a sponsor or attending a 1st step meeting, reading the doctors opinion, etc, will help you. Also, a great tool for me was the book "A Program for you". It's like cliff notes for the big book. It's amazing.

Keep coming no matter what.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recoveryforme,

Thank God you have found this site like I did last week!!
I was, last week and the weeks before exactly like you!!! I would drink before going to a AA meeting and after!!! I just wasn't getting it. But then I found a sponsor that was carring and wanted to work with me. He stated that we must work through the 12 steps together........ I too don't feel the totally sprititual awaking yet!!! I know God has a plan for me, but that total turning it all to him hasn't hit yet!!! This is my 5th day sober and I must contiune to read and get encouragment from this site, sponsor, meetings, etc. but I and YOU must work towards giving it all to God!!!
Keep in touch.... we can work together and check on each others progress!!!!

Joel
Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you are taking positive steps towards stopping drinking.

What really worked for me in the beginning, was changing routines and patterns in my life. I had to force myself to make plans to do something else during the times I would have been drinking. But, it really helped.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

RFM,

I don't know how long you've been going to meetings, but hopefully you've heard the word "action" mentioned several times. I'm very proud of you for asking for a sponsor. Rather than waiting for an email though, you might just want to muster the courage to go up to someone who you identify with and ask them to be your sponsor. Generally when you pick a sponsor, it's someone who's been in AA for a while, someone who's worked the steps, and somone who you see living life in a way that keeps them happy, joyous, and free. However, no one is gleeful 24 hours a day. We all have problems no matter how long we've been in the program. The key is to listen to those folks who can describe the problems they've had, but can also describe a solution to those problems that's worked for them.

One word of caution...I've seen many folks go to many AA meetings thinking that they will eventually "absorb" what they need to know. Those folks have, almost without exception, remained stuck in a place that I know I'd never want to be. That place is where we don't drink, but we have no other substitute that provides the ease and comfort we're so desperately seeking. In other words, action is needed if we're going to make progress.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna,,,, recover is a slow process for the years of abuse!! But a good sponsor, persoanl or email, meetings, family and most of all God!!! I'll make it through this. My heart goes out to recoveryforme because I was right were she is this past Monday........ one more will kill me or someone else!!! One hour, one day, one week at a time.

joel
Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input

hi all
thanks so much- yes, my problem is- that I have to go to the meetings on my lunch hour- and that means getting there right on time and leaving before the meeting is over- so yes that has been hard trying to find a sponsor- if anyone here, would like to be my sponsor online I would deeply appreciate it. I don't want to die- I hear of all the thing alcohol does to the inside of your body- like liver, kidneys etc- I want to be 30 days sober and living my life again.
What can I do tonight when i get home so I'm not tempted to go out and buy wine?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the Sober Ninja

What can I do tonight when i get home so I'm not tempted to go out and buy wine?
Go to a meeting...

http://www.aa-westerncolorado.org/
Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Recoveryforme, do you feel like the meetings help you? Asking for a sponsor is a great idea. Keep asking, keep speaking. At every meeting. Some times I'd just raise my hand, say my name and that I needed to speak at every meetings for my program to work, and thank people for being present and helping my fight.

I have a very tight schedule, and meetings are very hard to get to. I know all about squeezing in a meeting. It's hard. Can you get to a meeting outside of lunch hour some time during the week or weekend?

Keep trying. Many of us tried and tried for a while before getting any where. Read, write, talk, try new things ... are you a night drinker? Try to do something else with your nights. I am a stay at home mom who drank at home, so I had to work that option differently ... I started making commitments in the evening, sometimes phone calls, sometimes an evening meeting (these are not often, but they saved me I believe), you get the idea.

The only requirment for joining is a desire to quit drinking. Note, it does not say to have quit drinking, it says a desire. You're on the right path. Don't give up!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

RFM,

I sent you a PM. Read it and get back to me through the Private Message function.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Night Drinker

Hi,
I am a night drinker- you say your a stay at home mome- so what do you do in your evenings now? How do you keep busy and your mind off drinking- I don't want to die and I am so tired of this mess I am in.... I was never brought up around alcohol-and I started drinking bad, about 5 years ago- I want the insanity to STOP
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there!! We are all behind you!

No one in my family drank! I always felt like the black sheep of the family. But my sponsor and AA meeting members have really helped me with this. I was blaming God, myself, etc.

Joel
Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any physical aches and pains that could be brought on by drinking- my arms ache and my gums bleed when I brush my teeth-I felt two weeks ago that I was having a heart attack- even went to the doctor-so anyway - is this signs of dying?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Post on this forum more

Play with your children or watch them as they play... do a project with them... board games/puzzles etc.

Watch a movie you've always wanted to or one you've seen a million times

Bake something

Crossword

Do you crochet, knit or do needle point?

Polish the silver

Go for a walk or bike ride

Read a book

Call someone you haven't spoken to in a while

Write a letter

Clean

Organize closets or drawers

Take a bubble bath

Go to sleep early

These are just some suggestions .
Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Does anyone have any physical aches and pains that could be brought on by drinking- my arms ache and my gums bleed when I brush my teeth-I felt two weeks ago that I was having a heart attack- even went to the doctor-so anyway - is this signs of dying?
I would speak with my doctor again to be safe. Switch to a softer bristle toothbrush and get an appointment with the dentist about your gums. HTH
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

RFM,

There are physical problems that are brought on by drinking. I've heard of gums bleeding many times. It doesn't mean you're dying, it simply means you need to stop. With regards to you heart attack symptoms, many of us are overwhelmed by anxiety attacks when we quit drinking. My opinion is that some of this is physical and some emotional. I believe the emotional part stems from the fact that we since we know we shouldn't drink anymore, and we have no other coping mechanisms, we panic. There are definite physical withdrawal symptoms for many alcoholics...sweats, nightmares, shaking, etc. It's really like any other chemical dependency, our bodies are so used to getting whatever we're taking, that when the chemical is withdrawn, our bodies react.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

hi all
I don't want to die- I hear of all the thing alcohol does to the inside of your body- like liver, kidneys etc- I want to be 30 days sober and living my life again.
You can commit to yourself and us here that you are not going to have a drink tonight.....and get on line here and tack to people..

If you find you can't dry out on your own, you can:
1. In-patient medical detoxification;

Or get support from family and friends to talk you out of that initial drink..

You can plan doing something when you get home to keep busy...You can...you can...you can beat this and I'm with you all the way, lol hope3.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I feel the same way right now. So, I've allowed my disease to make me get back into the bottle to make the pain stop. Today I'm not drinking and I'm in agony. But, I know I can and must get better. And so can you.

Keith
Old 02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I went to detox and was sober as a result of that and a lot of fear for three months... then life crept back into my day and I was drunk again....

I had to make a profound choice, face life on life's terms and not drink no matter what, or get drunk everyday and live in misery. It literally required me to choose NEVER to drink again. All the excuses in the world do not excuse the fact that I am an alcoholic and one sniff of booze is too much.

Peace, Levi