Notices

detox/rehab looming.aaahhh

Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

detox/rehab looming.aaahhh

im soooooo scared....scared that i dont have'it' scared that my opinions and views...which i do want to keep(to an extent)
will be disregarded and i will be disregarded, as i cant accept aa/na totally....not in regard to the concepts-just the words....which ive felt the need to .....explore and translate a little bit so it ruings true to me
Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome aboard, Tashna! We're glad you're here. What do you mean by "can't accept the words?" Admitting you're an alcoholic or an addict for the first time is a bit frightening. It takes courage to admit you need help. What do you need translated? Pull up a chair and talk!

Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi It's good to see you again!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tashna...I have always found that fear is a horrible motivator...in any aspect of life. Every time I feared the consequences of sobriety, I failed in my recovery program. Not to say that YOU will fail, but I can only speak from my personal experiences and observations.

One thing that changed for me this time (26 days!) was that I undertook my sobriety as a road to a better life: better health, more peace, more tranquility, better relationships, more accomplishments, etc. I got excited about being sober! Truth is, not a sober day has passed where I haven't found more positives than negatives about my sobriety. Not a day has passed where I haven't felt some excitement, even through the darker moments.

As for your opinions and views, only cowards attack opinions. It's one thing to question beliefs, but it's quite another to prey on personalities (i.e. opinions).

Best of luck! You'll pull through detox and you'll feel stronger for it!

Earl
Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

tashna for me when I went into detox my butt was kicked but good, there was nothing left for me to do but take what they threw at me, when I got out it was like I was born anew, my life was starting over again.

Just keep this in mind when you are going through detox and rehab... Follow Directions". Quit doing things your way, I quit doing them my way because my thinking kept me drunk for 40 years, by following directions I am happy, joyous, free, and sober!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

De-tox is actually kind of cool. You'll eat, rest, and get plenty of meds to help minimize the physical withdraw. You may not want to leave.

As far as AA, remember the Nike commercial. Just Do It. You'll find a group of friendly people willing to help, and a solution to your problem.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i actually got cut off in that message...only half was sent.....i totally agree with you 'uncle earl'......im not afraid of sobriety...mabye apprehensive (okay..it is kindof scary!!!)but i tried this 1 year ago and failed for a numer of reasons....a key one probably being that i as reallyreally scared of what was on the 'other side....while all the while expecting a total complete instaqnt
Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi tashna . I'm sorry you're feeling scared. I've never been to detox or an inpatient program but I understand your fear of the unknown. I don't think anyone or anyplace will disregard your opinions... they are important as anyone elses and I am sure you won't be disregarded. You are a person that deserves respect and self -respect. One way to to get some of it back is to stop drinking and/ or using. Posting here is very helpful IMO.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(got cut off again......)
(cont..) instant.. change in my personality,beliefs ;some of which im still proud of sometimes(eg-empathy)those bits dont need to be killed off!???(well-not permanantly?!)
when i was talking about 'translating' traditional aa stuff......i just meant to say,or ask..if anyone else has had to really sit down and figure out what these traditional ideas mean to them......i dunno...mabye im a fool....but i reallyreally have to do it this time and if i write notes next to steps,saying...'agree-but reword '-so i can BELIEVE in it..i dont see how that is as bad as ppl make it seem.
i so desperately want small things...
im doing my best,and i want MY BEST......
i would really really love any more opinions...mabye need them...
tash
Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Tashna-- regarding AA, take what you need and leave the rest.

There are also other programs out there, but if you are already in AA and it seems to be working for you, I recommend you stay with it while you look at the others. They include LifeRing, SOS and SMART Recovery.
LifeRing = http://www.unhooked.com
SOS= http://www.sossobriety.org/
Smart= http://www.smartrecovery.org
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(Aside to GlassPrisoner: I thought I was the only freak who thought that detox was kinda cool! I'll take a sleepness night of detox over a drunken so-called sleep any day, any time.)

Tashna: nothing about sobriety will change your personality. We can change our hair, our clothes, our habits, even our beliefs and opinions...but I doubt we can change that which underlies all the above: our characters and personalities. If anything, sobriety will allow you to bring out those aspects of yourself that you likely most admire: empathy, compassion, love, etc. Substance abuse, on the other hand, is usually manifest through emotions and actions that cause self-loathing: avarice, shame, fear, belligerence, etc.

I'm not in AA but I've never met an AA'er who I didn't like and respect (half my family and extended are in AA or NA). I'm sure you'll meet with nothing but support if you tailor the AA precepts to your needs. (I can hear Tazman in the background, screaming, "Write what you want, but follow directions!!" *smirk*)

Looking forward to hearing about your progress...

Earl
Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Earl you misread me, one of the greatest reasons AA has worked for me and so many others is the fact that there are no rules!!!

The only requirement to be a member is the "desire" to stop drinking!

BTW I liked detox also, I was scared as heck to leave, but I loved being there.

Earl can you imagine how many drunks would even begin to do a program with rules!!! I know one old goat who would not be in AA with a bunch of rules, having no rules makes it real easy!! LOL
Old 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

I have recently decided to join an outpatient rehab, it is the best decision I have ever made for myself, and it would be for you too Hope you enjoy tomorrow, I have rehab to look forward to!