Notices

Where do I get the "new" high?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where do I get the "new" high?

I ended up being the DD for friends tonight, most of which have babies and haven't been out in awhile. I now hate to see drunk people, unless I am drunk too. Because I couldn't join the party till later after work, when I got there and certain friends were apparantly feeling no pain, I just decided I wasn't going to be one of them, plus they don't get out much so it was nice to take care of them. One friend was surprised at my not drinking. People miss me not being the life of the party. I'm a lot of fun but I don't have the same energy without a couple drinks. I like that energetic person. Where do I find her without the alcohol?

And after staying sober all night........what am I doing now? Drinking. Why? It's a calming thing too I guess. It's my reward, treat, dessert, whatever. I don't know how to stop feeling this way.

And what about them, out having fun, getting carried away. Where is that line between a problem or just fun? I think my friends may be variations of alcoholics as well but they are good productive people that enjoy life. I am too, despite a recent bad phase trying to avoid a crushing problem in my life. I hate extremism and in no way denying that I've been out of control for awhile but I just don't know how I feel about never having those fun nights getting crazy with some friends and whether total sobriety is the only answer for everyone.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt that way at one time too. Since then I have found how to have fun sober. I dont hang with people who drink or use anymore. Just aint my thing. My friends are far from dull or boring. When I was drinking, I was the life of the party. The guy with the lamp shade on his head. Been clean almost 2 years, havent drank in over 10, and nothings changed. Im still the guy dancing with the lamp shade on his head.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Its a life changing point, to drink or not to drink, given that youve asked and answered the question, put the judgement away and get into it for say 3 months, then if you don't like it, all the misery and that is Addiction will be waiting for you.

So we don't get the new high, we get to be sober and live a great life.

Kevin
Old 01-21-2007, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carly,

I think sobriety is so much more than not drinking. I would not have been brave enough to go out with people who were drinking when I was in early sobriety. It was too stressful to me to be watching other people drink.

If you think that you are not an alcoholic, then Nogard's suggestion, and decide to stay sober for 3 months. See how it goes and you will have your answer. If you are alcoholic, we have lots of support here for you.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

carly.. the above sugestions are right on... i only wish someone gave them to me way long ago...

my drinking... i would always worry about it tomorrow... then when tomorrow came, and i wanted to stop... it was too late... the rat of addiction had me by the ankels... and wouldnt let go for many years...

and yep, sober almost four years... and have been know to put the lampshade on my head also... that is when Time2Surrender is done with it...

good wishes in your process carly...

xxoo, rz
Old 01-21-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At some point, I'm not sure when, I no longer liked being high or drunk. I began to be more comfortable with the real me - someone not chemically altered - a basically quiet guy who didn't want to have to drink to be considered socially acceptable. At first I struggled, but working my way through the struggles and not drinking, or hanging out when people were drinking, paid enormous dividends. Its your choice - the real you - or a chemically altered version of you that has brought you to sites like this (a good thing, but...) to sort out your life. Good luck whatever you decide.
Mike in Boston