Notices

One week down, and a successful NYE

Old 01-02-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
It's now or never.

One week down, and a successful NYE

Well, seven days down and I got through the New Years weekend. As mentioned in a previous thread I jumped on the idea of getting out of San Diego for the weekend and went to the Rose Bowl Parade AND game. Thanks to the local knowledge and assistance of one of the posters on here, I was able to find my way to a place to park and was in position to see the parade at 6:30am. For those of you out there who've seen the Rose Parade on TV and thought that you'd like to see it in person someday, it is DEFINITELY worth it.

After the parade, I walked to the Rose Bowl and was able to buy a ticket on the street. Took a while, but the best part of "shopping" for a ticket on the street was that it totally distracted me from all the tailgating and drinking that was all around me. After I had a ticket, there was a period where I was wondering what I was going to do with myself. I caught myself looking at the beer garden once, but honestly - I was more interesting in finding a place to sit down (standing and walking around all morning was wearing on my feet!)

I talked to one man who was going to his 30th Rose Bowl. Good conversation about the different games he's been to over the years. He was carrying a cooler and drinking a beer. He did offer me one, and I have to say, I suprised myself by how quickly I said, "no thanks, I don't drink." And you know what??? It was fine! We continued to talk for 10 more minutes before the gates opened.

I will say the one part of the trip that was pretty tough was the night I spent alone in a hotel room somewhere near Anaheim (i think). I wish I'd gone one exit farther north on I-5 where there were much better lodging options. As it was, I was in what turned out to be a pretty sketchy place. Apparently it was more of a party hotel than a place for travellers. There were A LOT of very young partiers there. Of course they were all drunk and loud, which was tempting, disturbing, scary, and disgusting all at the same time. Made it hard to fall asleep, which wasn't a good thing since I had to get up so early the next day. Though I never really was tempted to go to the beer store, it was a pretty depressing night. But, after the next day, I now know it was most definitely worth it!

I hope all the other newbies made it through NYE safe and sober, and HAPPY NEW YEARS to all!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
That's wonderful Sailor, and Happy New Year to you! The obsession and compulsion to drink will eventually leave, but for now it sounds like you're doing just fine.

This was my second sober NYE, and it was great! My date and I went out for dinner, and I was just fine sipping away on a Perrier. The really cool part was waking up on Monday morning without a hangover, and I remembered what the night before was like. Sobriety is amazing!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way To Go on your sober time!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats ! It only gets better.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Magic of Internet? Start planning now!

Well, I have to say, I have met some great people thru the yrs on the Internet, and specifically, here at SR.com

This New Years day was no exception........as I was able to meet Sailor because of this site!

We met up when it was still dark in the early morning hours. We had a chance to chat briefly prior to the parade.

AND, I hope ALL of you will start making your plans to come to Pasadena for next year, now!

Seeing this awesome display of floats is one of the most incredible sights you will EVER see.

ALL areas of the floats must be covered with some sort of living material. Seeds, bark, fruit, beans, flowers, you name it.....some things like beans and rice are ground up in a blender to a fine powder to decorate the faces.

SO, NO excuses, make you plans now!

We can have a sober party like NONE other!!!!

Happy sober New Year to each and ALL of you!

Tom
Old 01-03-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's awesome and congrats on the week. Keep it up.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

Congratualtions!!

Scott
Old 01-03-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very cool
Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Still here, too - stayed sober during NYE, had a great time with hubby and grandkids, and my former stepdaughter.

I loved waking up on Monday feeling great, and remembering everything I did the night before. Or not stressing and feeling guilty if I didn't remember something. Because it just meant I forgot.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's now or never.

Just checking in, and doing OK

Hello all...

Haven't posted or read much in the past couple days because work has been very busy and I've been very tired (probably as a result of the minimal sleep I had during my venture up to Pasadena!).

Yesterday evening was a bit strange... Of course, the beer voices were there, but I managed to quiet them. What I found strange was how run down my body felt. Plus, there were some GI issues that were none too pleasant. Maybe I caught a little bug, or maybe my body was reacting to days 9&10. I dunno. All I know is I was tired and felt like cr@p. Something told me that it was sobriety-related, but who knows?

Today was better, but I'm still tired. Thankfully, work is dominating everything now -and will for the next week. At that point my ship sails for 3 weeks which is a blessing in many ways. First, that's when work gets REALLY FUN and second, the ship is dry - so temptation disappears (at least in a physical in-my-face sorta way).

That's the biggest hurdle I have... the temptation... And that's what brought me here in the first place. Honestly, when I'm at sea I can go weeks at a time without alcohol and have no problems because I'm busy and happy. For me, the problems arise when I'm bored and alone and seek solace and commeradery on the bar stool. When I looked at my future, I saw that never changing once I'm done with the going to sea thing, thus the need for the overall lifestyle change RIGHT NOW. I know myself... if I drink, I drink until I'm done - and that's a long time.

So, though these evenings are a bit pensive, I know I'll be smiling when I wake up in the morning. Someday I hope and pray the anxiety in the evening will go away. I've read enough from those who've been through this before to believe that it will!

Enough rambling... take care all!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too found myself very tired in the beginning, I slept alot, and i am not much of a sleeper I still ahve bouts with total exhaustion. I read is to to the removal of teh excess sugar (energy) that used to be produced by the metabolizing of the alcohol.

Hang in there the best is yet to come
Old 01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It's now or never.

Friday Happy Hour is TOUGH

I just fought through a very tough hour listening to coworkers 'celebrate' the end of work with a case of Bud. It was tough, probably the closest I've come to slipping yet. The drunkard in me really felt entitled to a few beers because this week has be SO PRODUCTIVE at work. He almost won... The mental battle caused quite the anxiety attack. In the end, all is well. Thankfully, it got quite windy outside and chased people away early! But what really kept me from blowing it was the realization that this week was 'so productive' BECAUSE I hadn't drank. Giving in now would be like taking one step forward and two steps back. I can only walk forward from now on - I've spent too much time in life walking backwards.

Monday will be two weeks...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you are making it, sailor...you should be very proud...to make it through new years eve, in new recovery, is an amazing accomplishment...things will get easier as time goes on...you seem to be a very strong person...welcome, and congratulations on your (almost) 2 weeks...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Congratulations on your sobriety Sailor...

Stay Strong and Positive...

One day at a time.

Steve