Notices

Day Four - ahhhh

Old 12-30-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Four - ahhhh

I'm actually surprised it's been four days (I thought it was three).

Last night was the first semi-peaceful evening of rest I've had since I quit drinking. I didn't sweat (hurray!!!!) and didn't have any nightmares.

I've also been super-productive since quitting: Took down the tree, cleaned out the garage, got my hair cut, donated a ton of items to Goodwill, shredded 6 bags worth of paperwork that I've been promising to get to for years (yes, years!), taken wonderful walks around the neighborhood with my dogs, and have been enjoying the most hilarious videos on Youtube at night.

I was always a functioning alcoholic but only in the sense that I could do a few things really well without being caught during the day. For the past few days I've been able to do so many of the things I've wanted but neglected to do. Also, is it normal to have a replacement addiction when you quit drinking? I'm finding that I'm obsessed with eating crunchy peanut butter out of the jar and salted pistachios.

Oh that reminds me of something else. I logged in here yesterday to read what others have written and get some inspiration. I learn so much just by reading. One thing that sticks in my mind is that someone wrote a craving only lasts for 7 seconds. While cleaning today I came across a cigarette. I quit smoking 20 months ago but when I saw this cigarette I had such an intense craving to smoke it, despite the fact that it would make me nauseous and sick. I threw it in the trash and forgot about it. Yep indeed, 7 seconds or less!

I'm going to catch up on some of the other threads now and eat some more of this insanely delicious peanut butter. I feel like a heel for not being able to contribute more, but I do want anybody who's reading to know that I appreciate everything your contributing to this forum. It truly helps.

Peace,
Mark
Old 12-30-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mark, I agree with you that SR is a great place. I've been coming here for ages and I never fail to be inspired. It sounds like you're doing great!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been laying off the peanut butter, but have been eating some butterscotch candies. Better that than drinking.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way To Go Mark and robertroberts!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

as far as replacement addictions...im dealing with that very intensely. coffee, cigarettes, redbulls. seriously abusing all of them!! my NYE resolution is to cut down on all of them. the only thing ive done right in sobriety is not picked up and i keep coming back. for that alone my life has gotten a million times better.
hang in there!!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR- This site will soon be your new addiction!!!