Notices

Newcomer questions

Old 12-26-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer questions

Im on day #2 and looking to get back to the gym. When I was drinking and working out (not at the same time), I found my self very prone to injury. I felt like my joints were weaker. Is it just me? Any vitamins you would recommend to get my body back together faster and ready to lift?
Old 12-26-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...I don't know about gym stuff
But

Many alcoholics follow an eating plan for
hypoglycemia with good results.

I did for 6 or so months
I also added a daily multi vitamin
+ a B complex.

Take Care
Old 12-26-2006, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

One of the best things that you can do is to eat a healthy balanced diet. You might want to supplement that with a good multi-vitamin for some time while your body is adjusting. If you know of a reputable health food store you might vist with them about any other vitamins or supplements.

Alcohol plays havoc with your joints and muscles and I have found that to be even more so as I worked out and continued drinking. It makes it that much harder for your muscles to repair themselves from the workout when you are drinking and depleting them of the nutrition that they need.

You will be amazed at the progress that you can make in the gym when you aren't drinking(working against yourself). I know that I was.

Scott
Old 12-26-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BLackshirt View Post
You will be amazed at the progress that you can make in the gym when you aren't drinking(working against yourself). I know that I was.

Getting started on a regular exercise program is excellent! Just start slowly and build up cardio and weights gradually. Listen to your body. Gentle exercise at this point is one of the very best things you can do for yourself. Big thumbs up!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to race Mountain bikes at a high level in highly competitive Southern California. That all went away when I returned to the bottle 10 years ago.

After my last de-tox, I was grateful for being able to walk a mile or two. All those years of conditioning were given away.

Alcohol wrecks havoc on your body. However, if you abstain, eat well, etc, you should get all of that back.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great that you are committed to self improvement and sobriety. I read your story in another thread and am so very glad you are here!....

just remember, Easy Does It.

That applies to lots of things. As an alcoholic, I know I can get overzealous and then injure myself from overly aggressive or over enthusiastic workouts.

Keep yourself hydrated, get plenty of sleep, eat regular meals and perhaps google "vitamin supplents or nutrition for recovery from alcoholism". I did that once and was amazed at the research available.

For me, however, it works best if I Keep It Simple. When it comes to vitamins. I never stick with taking them and find I feel best if I just eat well balanced meals, rest and meditate or relax deeply every day.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the help everybody. I have been looking for things to fill my time such as lifting and running. I do seem very thirsy. Im constantly running to the water cooler??? Then to the bath room.
miss communicat - Thanks for the "keep it simple". Im feel frantic to fill the void. I was a great athlete in high school and college. So far running has helped burn off some of the axiety. Day 3 and counting
Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stairmaster

bala5522, wonderful fitness outlook, how about your sobriety? What do you plan to keep that healthy?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bala5522 View Post
Im on day #2 and looking to get back to the gym. When I was drinking and working out (not at the same time), I found my self very prone to injury. I felt like my joints were weaker. Is it just me? Any vitamins you would recommend to get my body back together faster and ready to lift?
Nope, definitely not just you. Excessive drinking causes all kinds of nasty things to go on inside our bodies that make it very difficult to stay healthy. As others have suggested, a good multi-vitamin daily is a good idea, as well as a B complex.

Apart from that, just go with a consistent and healthy diet, and keep your workouts gentle at first. We don't damage our bodies overnight, and the repairs don't happen overnight, either. Think marathon rather than sprint.