Notices

Howdy!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Howdy!

I figured I'd introduce myself a little bit. I was guided to this SR.com through another board. Basically, I'm here because I'm fed up with my live-in boyfriend. I moved in 4 months ago from another state and am slowly but surely realizing he's an alcoholic. He's 29 years old and I don't think anyone has ever acknowledged it before. His mom (who lives in a different city) enables him financially (even though he makes more than enough to cover his own expenses) and he's completely functioning, he doesn't go to work drunk or anything.

I'm a bit mixed up as what to do and came here to search for support and guidance. Like I said, I moved here 4 months ago from another state and all of my friends and family are spread between two states, neither of which I live in. I'm basically alone and working at a job that would BARELY pay my bills if I moved out.

In summary, I'm here because I'm feeling lonely, helpless, and disrespected thanks to my alcoholic significant other. Fortunately, I'm strong and I know I will make it... it just sucks that I feel like I'm the only one being affected by his choices and actions... everyone else is oblivious.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Hi Pinky, and welcome to SR!

I, too, live in Florida and have been affected by someone else's alcoholism (actually, several "someone else"s). I can certainly identify with your feelings of loneliness, helplessness and lack of respect, as those are some of the effects I felt after living with the disease of alcoholism. I understand that sort of pain, and I also understand that life can and will get better...

If you're interested in finding some face-to-face support for what you've been experiencing, Al-Anon is a wonderful place to find it, or it least it has been for me. Meetings are free, informative, supportive and populated with folks who all share a common issue: having been affected by someone else's drinking. The only requirement for attending a meeting is having gone through that simple, yet awful, situation...

Oh, and as for those "oblivious" to his choices and actions, I prefer to think of that as simply "denial". The nice thing is that you are seeing reality for what it is and looking for answers.

Whatever choices you make, I wish you peace!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Just wanted to pop my head and and say welcome and glad that you are here

Love Vic
Old 11-04-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Smile