Notices

Prescription Medication Addiction..

Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prescription Medication Addiction..

I am new to the site and am hoping to find other people who have fallen to prescription meds as they have been prescribed by doctors. I was recovering from a surgery that went wrong and couldn't deal with the pain - so kept on taking all the meds the doctor kept on giving me...until I became sicker and sicker. Today I am on suboxone and can't find any support or answers for that either. I still feel sick on suboxone (sweating, irritable, depressed), and understand I'll have to be on it for a year or more. I still can't believe this all started because I had migraines. This has cost me over 50,000 in lost work, friends, self esteem - so I am hoping to find someone here who can understand.

Are you out there?

Dox
Old 10-16-2006, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((Doxsen))))

I hope you have found the other threads you have started one person did reply to you that seems fairly experienced with suboxone.

Keep posting and reaching out dear.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i became addicted to vicoden that was prescribed by my doctor...it did not get out of hand because i found this sight and it helped me get things under control....i have been sober for 1 month 5days and i feel good...i don't know anything about suboxone....but you are in my thoughts and prayers and i hope your recovery goes well...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dox
I too am a recovering pain pill addict also. I never went on Sub ( I quit cold turkey), so I do not know a lot about it, but I do know quite a few people that do take it. They always say that less is more when it comes to Sub so you may be on too high of a dose and that is why you are feeling bad.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi dox welcome. my name is will and im addicted to pain pills. ive been taking 300 to 600 miligrams a day for 6 years and i just quit cold turkey 8 days ago. you dont have to use if you dont want to. the only reason i havent had any since 8 days ago is because i keep posting and sharing here. i listen to those here and take their advice and use it. i go to at least 1 meeting a day whether it be aa or na and i remember what it will be like if i take even just one pill. i got them from my doctor to, well at least most of them, but that doesnt make them safe for me to take. im starting to work a 12 step program and thats helping me stay clean. there is no way that i can stay clean by myself, i had to ask for help first and youve just taken a step in the right direction by doing so yourself. there area alot of great people here, so keep posting and asking questions and reading. thats a good start. thats what i did and just that helped me stay clean the first day or two. keep coming back!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

suboxone

What is suboxone? I am not sure. Please let me know. Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Suboxone is the medication they give you to get you off of drugs - it's like bupenorphrine, which is used in detox centers. It blocks your body's opiate receptors so that you don't want the opiates. You, then, avoid withdrawal. A doctor will then titrate you down from suboxone slowly like over a year's time, and supposedly it's easier than just quiting the pain meds or drugs. The suboxone costs $10 dollars a day and you have to work with a psychiatrist. I hope that helps.

Dox
Old 10-17-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you....I've been wondering if I am on too high of a dosage. Just out of curiousity, why do you say that? Your the only one who has mentioned that, and it matches my own suspicion. I appreciate your time.

Dox
Old 10-17-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dox I say you may be on too high of a dose because everyone I know who is on it has had the same symptoms that you mentioned and it was due to being on too high of a dose. They always are saying with Sub "less is more". How much are you on now??
Old 10-18-2006, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Day by day....

Dox - from personal experience. Less really is more. I had the sweating and anxiousness and knew every time it meant to drop my dose. Within a day or two of a drop I was always feeling better. Have responded more with some details in another thread about Sub Experiences in the Substance Abuse Forum.