Notices

Is O'Douls OK?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree, just makes you want the real thing.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree, stay away from NA beers. I just checked, cubbie hasn't posted since December of 2008. I hope he's doing ok . . .
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just my humble opinion but as a beer drinker I would not trust myself with non-alcoholic beers.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I haven't really thought about buying Odoul's. I have found though that having fizzy drinks at night, Cocacola classic, or juice with some tonic water has helped me a lot.

Aside from the possible temptation to buy real beer, Odoul's is just as expensive as beer and I know that I can't spend that sort of money anymore.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What I shared on this thread...... 09-25-2006, 06:06 PM
is still true for me today...

soberRN.....Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Who put this thread up again if it's four years old? Perhaps a question for the moderator or administrator?

Last edited by wpainterw; 08-08-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: "four" (years) replaced six
Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Heathen

If someone posts a new comment on any thread it bumps it up.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

However, when my stepmom was on blood thinners for a blood clot, the doctor did tell her that she could drink O'Douls or Bucklers or other NA beer. Bucklers was her beer of choice, and it's actually good.
And I've had a Doctor tell me that it was OK to work around denatured alcohol and use it as a solvent on a regular basis. All this while prescribing me antabuse.
Doctors would benefit greatly from knowing half of what they think they know.
Society would benefit greatly if they realized this.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Who put this thread up again if it's four years old? Perhaps a question for the moderator or administrator?
A lot of our threads are resurrected by people searching on search engines like Google.

Others are dug up by folks here searching for specific topics.

You never know when an old thread might be useful to someone reading it - thats why I'm personally glad we don't close them as a matter of course.

I think the fact this thread has got the traffic it has since it was reactivated proves it's pretty much a perennial, and valid, issue.

D
Old 08-08-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Agreed, still a valid question even now, although even in my short time here I know the answer is different for everyone.

For me, I would never drink "non-alcoholic" beer. Playing with fire.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Here is my "new" response to an "old" thread.

Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholic people. Just sayin...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
jsm

I disagree with the poster that said fruit juice has no alcohol. Any fermentable liquid is going to have some degree of fermentation. wild yeast is everywhere and will convert a minor amount of sugar into alcohol, unless it is unopened and recently pasteurized.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsm View Post
I disagree with the poster that said fruit juice has no alcohol. Any fermentable liquid is going to have some degree of fermentation. wild yeast is everywhere and will convert a minor amount of sugar into alcohol, unless it is unopened and recently pasteurized.
Too much thinkin. Just sayin...
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I would say:

"when in doubt...don't!"

...and when do you know you're in doubt? When you feel like you even have to ask the question!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It depends on the reason for O'Doul's. Now i am only in my second week of sobriety so I can't really say what is right or wrong but My cravings are quenched with a non acoholic beer. I don't want the buzz at all. That is why I have chosen to quit alcohol in the first place is the drunken nonsense I do to myself. But the O'Doul satisfies my craving/desire and I still am coherient and sober. I don't act like a fool, wake up ashamed of myself for my behavior while drunk. I only drink 1 or 2 O'Douls and am fine, no more cravings. I only drink them once in a while and so far I have had no desire for alcohol.
I guess it just depends on you. Mind over matter, I guess O'Douls is not good for you. But my problem is that I love the taste and the down side was the alcohol in the beer. Now with O'Douls I still get the taste but not negative affects from regular beer.
But everyone's reasons for not drinking are different so it just depends on you.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wink odouls

I have drank mostly bear off and on, mostly on, for 20 years. Addictive personality. AM 55 years, smoked 4 packs a day in my 20's but quit cold cause of 4 cases of phenomena. Dr said I was gonna die. Quit drinking beer 6 months ago, changed to vodka & oj. Mistake. quit that 6 weeks ago. went into aws had a grand mal seizure on a delta jet no less. turned the plane around.

Woke up in hospital. Nearly killed me. Just like cigs, I will never drink again. Don't even have any urge. Near death does that to you. But I have 1 issue, certain foods I always had a beer with, pizza, fried clams, etc. So is an odouls ok in these cases, I will not go back to drinking ever, that is a promise. But I am concerned about the 0.5% alcohol. Is that an issue?

Thanks all
Old 09-25-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

But I am concerned about the 0.5% alcohol. Is that an issue?
It is for ME, but when this comes up around here, as you see in this thread there's lots of different opinions on it. I don't touch the stuff, not worth it to me.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The problem, as I see it, is not only the very small amount of alcohol in the N/A beer but the way the brain works. Drinking alcoholic beer has conditioned the brain to identify the taste with the effects of the alcohol. (Pavlov's dog's fashion). Thus if you consume an O'Doul's, your brain says to itself, "Hey. From that taste I'll bet some alcohol's on its way!" When the alcohol doesn't show up then the brain, frustrated, figures out a way to get the real stuff. "Well, maybe one regular beer wouldn't do any harm. I'll just open the fridge..." And so you start again on your merry way down the slippery slope. (Incidentally I'd throw out that real beer in the fridge, along with the rest of the booze if you haven't already done so).
I'd say don't try to play games with your thoroughly conditioned brain. Any more than you'd try to play chess with - was it IBM's "Blue" machine. When alcohol's involved, your conditioned brain is truly the big gorilla. ("What does a Big Gorilla get? Anything it wants!" (particularly booze!)

W.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Kinda like having sex with a blowup doll.

If it ain't the real thing, well then, NO thanks, lol.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Not much worth it hey Dallas? Hahaha...

I spoke to my AADAC counsellor about O'Doul's last Tuesday...just to put my 2 cents in. It is 0.5% and does not seem like much, but for an alcoholic feeding the body any amount of alcohol is not a good idea. When I quit for my 4.5 year stint as well as for the 5 months this past year I drank O'Doul's just like I was drinking beer and guess what? Well I am here aren't I? I would advise against it...seriously because you are going through the physical motions as well as having that trace amount of booze...not so good!

D.