Notices

Did he really quit?

Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did he really quit?

I worked for a man for almost 14 years but - the last nine months was totally unbearable... he was always a big partier however, he started to miss lots and lots of work the past summer. He would come in on occasion to the office and tell us stories 5 and 6 times over and over.. he would rant and rave about stupid things that didnt matter - but he would think they were the end of the world... he was on his hands and knees once and was barking like a dog... he dropped his pants in front of me to show me a bruise... he met with clients and those clients would later ask me if he had been drinking... he could not sleep many nights so he would take 2 Lunesta and a few shots of vodka to sleep... he would get so drunk that he could not sit on a chair even... he started to abuse his wife .. he started to threaten me and my co-worker... he would call clients at all hours of the day and night and the clients would later call me and ask me if he was on drugs... he worked 17 hours in June and 21 in July... by the end of August he ended up in the hospital... he had to get 6 pints of blood and he was diagnosed with esophogeal varices.. bleeding of the veiins due to cirrohsis of the liver... while he was in the hospital, i left his employment because i just couldnt do it anymore - i was his enabler... his wife is also an alcoholic.... when he heard i quit, he checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice... he has been working every day since... shame he couldnt have worked earlier - i may not have had to quit.... my question is this... he was drinking 2 or 3 fifths of vodka daily - as was his wife.... he was in the hospital for 5 days... he almost died... but - he refuses to admit he has an alcohol problem to anybody... can he quit drinking on his own without admitting to his problem and with no help? he is telling everybody that his problem is that he had sinus swelling and a hiatal hernia.... the sinus thing comes from severe headache attacks that would bring him to his knees and make him vomit and cause extreme pain....
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

2 to 3 fifths of vodka a day.......doing things that he would NOT do sober.......one word comes to mind here.....DENIAL! I hope all turns out well and I am so sorry your have been going throug this but all the signs are there.......

Liss
Old 09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

can a near death experience though - make him stop drinking? or not - since he doesnt admit to having a problem? he has already said to a friend of his that he can drink beer still - just not vodka...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i have had several near death experience's and that was never enough to quit using....I had to realize it on my own..hitting rock bottom helped...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

SoccerGrace,

Welcome!

You might like to check out the Friends & Families of Alcoholics forum on this board where you'll find lots of people who can offer support and information.