Notices

Class of October 2019 Part 1

Old 10-16-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
Day 9. The time is flying by. I feel comfortable and settled. I am so sick of myself when I am drinking, it's a relief to be sober. I was recently diagnosed with PTSD from events that happened more than 20 years ago. When I think about the symptoms, I realise I was self medicating with alcohol. It's a bit of a revelation. My life is great. Couldn't be better. I just have intrusive memories, anger issues and I'm always on high alert. Drinking switches all of that off. All of that stuff has been hitting me like a ton of bricks while not drinking, but I can see it for what it is. I am starting up my regular therapy again, too. I can see the pattern of getting some sober time, then going through a period of PTSD triggers and drinking again. It's not the case every single time I picked up after some sober time, but it's part of the cycle. I'm absolutely exhausted from the emotional and mental rollercoaster, but I feel ok in myself. I have resources and support.

Day 9 in the bag. Night night all.
I relate to this so much. Pretty much the same here, diagnosed last year with PTSD from long-ago events. Some more recent ones just added to it. All those things kind of got stuffed down over the years, but they're still there, so alcohol became a way to quiet my brain and put a lid on my anxiety. No one told me about the rebound anxiety, though
It's good you're starting up therapy again. It works best when you're sober so that the issues you're there for in the first place can reach the surface and get addressed.

Hugs to you. The roller-coaster IS exhausting.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  
Administrator

join us here for part two

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

D