Notices

Class of September 2018 Part 3

Old 11-20-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Technical question I'm sure wildflower can answer. How do I "quote" just a part of someone's post?

Copy and paste any part of the post you want....as I have done here. Left click and hold down while you run your cursor over the section to post, when your ready to post it, rick click and select paste.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Busy day today.....I am grateful that I caught myself before I screwed up my work. I know it was only a matter of time, and I could have lost everything. I am grateful that I had the willpower and "want" to quit!!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I met my brother today. (He and another brother of mine are alcoholics living in denial. No judgement from me, just stating facts.) During our meeting I began to crave, no real drama but it was noticeable

I told him I’d given up completely, he knew I was cutting back so that was cool. That’s another bridge to drinking burnt. I’m leaving myself with nowhere to go but soberiety
Old 11-20-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Night all.

Tomorrow I am getting up early to pick up a computer for work, I will tie this in with an early morning walk/run. Then I am working from home with a couple of colleagues. Out in the evening at a boring meeting for work

Its all good, keep moving forward
Old 11-20-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Morning all. I have not exercised this morning, I did go out on errands but the weather beat me. I'll see when else in the day I can go out

Have a good day people
Old 11-21-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You too ben

Day before our thanksgiving holiday. Usually a slow work day. Not this year. Service calls continue to poor in. Strain in relationship with wife and now an incident at school with my youngest son and an overreaction by the assistant principal had me on the phone last night with school principal.

It's just life's bumps. They come and go. For every hill there is a valley. I'm in a valley right now. That's ok. It's how i learn and grow. It also makes me appreciate the tops of those mountains. I allow myself to feel each experience, process them, learn and move on.

Today I grow further and further away from my desire to drink. I didn't crave a drink last night but I did reflect on how the situation would have been different had I been. I'm sue I would have flew off the handle, laid into the school principal with expletives and empty threats of legal action and news exploitation. Followed by a killer hangover this morning.

Instead, a calm, intelligent, well thought out discussion of the situation and a logical remedy moving forward.

Work? I am only one man. I can only do as much as I can do in a given day. That will have to be enough. Because that's all there is.

Wife? She is well aware of where I stand. It's up to her. I cannot force her choices.

I can only be the best that I can be. That is the scope of my influence. Hopefully that is enough.

Have a great day everyone. And a Happy Thanksgiving. (Even if you don't celebrate it)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Short day for me today, and I'm looking forward to enjoying this holiday without the chains of alcohol, depression, and guilt. I too am getting further away from the desire to ever touch booze again, I guess I've really been working up to this point all year. Maybe my relapses over the past few years have all been learning experiences to help me finally quit.I believe I can be done for good this time, and for that I am truly grateful.

I'm grateful for the times I have fallen down, they gave me the strength to stand up stronger! Have a blessed day everyone...
Old 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Evening all

Im in the boring work meeting and thought I’d check in for the evening.

Tomorrow I’m in work meetings all day, then in for the evening. I’ll get up early and walk/run no matter the weather as I’ve missed that today!!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans on here. Happy Thursday to the brits and others!

Ive got a short mile walk this morning, then work then home this evening.

I have stamped on every intrusive thought idealising drinking, dismissing it without thinking of it. Yesterday I was confident so let it run - letting the thought come fully in to my head and then, out loud, arguing with it. Something like:

’Youre doing well. It’s good...soon you’ll be able to drink again. You’d much prefer to drink, won’t it be great when you can drink and let all of this go?’

I let the thought in and verbally argued it, playing it out. How awful it always made me feel etc

I don’t know if this helps or if its better to ignore completely. Dee’s advice about ‘not giving it a foothold’ is good advice, every relapse of mine had started with me entertaining drinking fantasies.

Anyway, have a good day
Old 11-22-2018, 01:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just don't think there's any point in arguing cos the only outcome that counts is us staying sober, Ben.

I dunno about you but my AV was like a barrister sometimes, lol

d
Old 11-22-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am so grateful to be celebrating my first sober Thanksgiving, maybe the first in my adult life. I have spent the last 30 days thinking of all of the things I am grateful for, and sobriety certainly takes the cake, because without sobriety, I can not feel gratitude, joy, or true happiness.

Thank you September friends and SR for being here with me on my journey, I will be forever grateful for your kindness and support!

WF
Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good day wildflower

D
Old 11-22-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ben123 View Post
[left

I let the thought in and verbally argued it, playing it out. How awful it always made me feel etc

I don’t know if this helps or if its better to ignore completely. Dee’s advice about ‘not giving it a foothold’ is good advice, every relapse of mine had started with me entertaining drinking fantasies.
[/left]
Early on I had to block it out completely. The so called white knuckle ride. As my strength improved I confronted the urges head on. I felt it helped me recognize and know my enemy and its intentions. There is no need to argue anymore. The AV is always wrong.

Right on Ben!

I love reading your posts. Your sharing lets me know the person behind the avatar and the journey you are on. Also makes me reflect on my own. Each day I log on looking for each of our posts.

There is a feeling of relief/encouragement knowing you are all still here. For this I am grateful.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

I am so grateful to be celebrating my first sober Thanksgiving, maybe the first in my adult life. I have spent the last 30 days thinking of all of the things I am grateful for, and sobriety certainly takes the cake, because without sobriety, I can not feel gratitude, joy, or true happiness.

Thank you September friends and SR for being here with me on my journey, I will be forever grateful for your kindness and support!

WF
It's my first sober holiday in a very long time too.

It's a bit boring but each day the first gratitude that comes to mind is my September friends on SR. That is why I am sober.

I am soooo looking forward to eating thanksgiving food today. Lots of it. Notice how much better food tastes sober?
Might be wearing my stretchy pants today
Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning all. I’ve got work 10-3, normal stuff, then a long evening in. Then the weekend...

Its cold here. Finally getting winter on 23 November. It’ll be Xmas before you know it

Have a good day people
Old 11-23-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Cold? How about record lows in single digits on thanksgiving!?

With the extra weight I've lost, I'm less insulated to the cold. Warmer climates are more on my mind than ever. May have to move up the timetable.

Thanksgiving food binge was anti climatic. Just couldn't go for the second plate. But, I did try a bit of everything. Finished the day off with a turkey and stuffing sandwich last night. All in all a good day.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey Finalround.....Low 70s all week in AZ....come on down

So, I did 30 days of gratitude leading up to the Thanksgiving holiday, and I honestly feel that it helped me to stay grounded. I used gratitude as a way to deal with uncomfortable emotions, and I am feeling stronger in my sobriety because of it. Now, for the Christmas season I am going to focus on helping others and paying it forward. Each day I will lend a hand to someone in need, maybe help an elderly person load their groceries, donate my time to the local soup kitchen, or just sit and really listen to someone who needs to talk.

I hope you will join me on my 30 days of giving. Let's all do more to help others, and see how it affects our own recovery and well-being.
Have a wonderful, sober day September friends!
Old 11-23-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I like that idea. I could always do more.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Morning all - relaxed day today, football in the morning then home this afternoon.

I am happy to give to others, maybe we should start an advent calendar on 1st December and all put in some way of serving others each day?
Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello. Not much to report.

Set up,our Christmas tree last night. Holiday shopping is in full swing. My wife works at a shopping outlet and traffic there is insane. Rides to and from take three times as long.

As we enter the Christmas season, I notice many (especially shoppers) make it about themselves. Those that show little to no courtesy to those around them as they selfishly push to get to where they need to go. Then in the midst of it, you find those who fully engulf the giving spirit of the holidays. In the chaos they are very courteous and conscious of others around them. They smile permanently. They are patient. They are kind.

These are the people that deserve a special gratitude. I have always wanted to do this...purchase a bunch of $25 gift cards and hand them out to those that show that little bit of extra kindness to others. I have never done it though.

Part of my getting sober had to do with stopping thinking myself out of drinking. I'm applying it to my new life as well. I would always think myself out of trying something new. I act on a thought now before I convince myself not to do it. Today, I am taking action. I want to feel Christmas again. It has just come and gone over the years. Im going to slow it down, enjoy the season. And give!

Thanks for the push WF!