Notices

One Year & Over Part 60

Old 05-05-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, sorry to hear about your injury. I bruised a rib in a drunken fall back in 2008. That resulted in my first visit to the local ER. Of course, I lied about how much I was drinking at the time, even though my blood tests indicated high liver enzyme levels. Thus started my horrible final year of drinking, filled with mental and physical symptoms, which culminated in my full-blown panic attack and another trip to the ER, where I finally came clean and started my recovery.

Another card show on the agenda today. I'm concentrating on the 1973-74 Topps hockey card set, which I had pretty complete as a kid, but they got tossed out at some point. My current set is about half way done, so hoping to put a nice dent in it today.

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 05-05-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Magsie

Fbl, hope you get your hockey card set complete.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You are one serious card shark, FBL...
Went to my usual afternoon meeting...rainbow one. Mostly very welcoming and supportive. There was one guy there- who is really struggling..self harming for attention..over a dozen serious hospital visits this year already..and he does not see himself as an alcoholic..despite using it to numb out the pain. At least he comes to meetings and gets some comfort (he says so).
Old 05-05-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday, Itch, and I’m sorry you’re in such pain!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, Happy belated birthday from moi, too!
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you fell but I'm relieved nothings broken Itch'

I find I have to adjust my expectations about what I can do these days.

I'm feeling good now but hadn't been for a while before that. so I have a drawer full of round tuits.

I had to leave a lot of little jobs go - some I got help with and some I'll do now while I'm firing on all 8 cylinders .

I know you'll be as vigilant as I am on pain meds. Hope you're back to full strength soon man - many happy returns

D
Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dee is a V8 man. How environmentally incorrect. So which would you choose Dee- the GT 351 or a Monaro? Me? I would be indecisive - so I would have to take both. Eric Bana is a 351 man...he has lovingly restored one, which a few years ago he totalled in a rally in Tassie. So- back to restoring I suppose
Old 05-06-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

We went stock can air racing last night, there were little kids 7-11 category driving like covered go carts, hot rods, minis and American f2s it was moist, chaotic and amazingly skilful and a really fun night out. I did at one point ask hubby how much fun he thought it would be if all the vehicles were silently electric! Would be a totally different experience! Got home tired and happy, a late night but fun.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sounds like fun toots!

Dee, sensible words. Learning to adjust does go against the grain, but it’s the sensible thing to do, I’ve found.

Have a good day overs xx
Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Dee is a V8 man. How environmentally incorrect. So which would you choose Dee- the GT 351 or a Monaro? Me? I would be indecisive - so I would have to take both. Eric Bana is a 351 man...he has lovingly restored one, which a few years ago he totalled in a rally in Tassie. So- back to restoring I suppose
I'm not a good driver so the environment is safe PJ
I'll stick to the electric scooter

I love the earliest V8s tho - Fords I'm afraid - so classy

Aussie choice would be the Monaro cos it's such an Aussie icon.

D
Old 05-06-2018, 03:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I didn't pick up any hockey cards yesterday (they are tough to find around here), but I did get a jump start on my 1974 baseball card collection, so my wallet took another nice hit.

Toots, sounds like a fun night out.

Looks like my Sunday morning nature walk may get rained out. Will wait a bit to see if the weather clears.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 05-06-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

OK Dee, you have passed the test..Monaro, yes. I like the new ones- black of course, or rd or any colour.
The GT 351 was put out of production, be-c the bloody thing was so powerful and fast, with very little in the way of handling ability, because a lot of young men were killing themselves in them
Old 05-06-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Itchy, mentally adjusting to our aging bodies isn’t easy! Lately I am finding I need to use the grab bars in my shower please take good care of yourself.

PJ, as I understand it, self-harming isn’t really a bid for attention but a way for an emotionally numb person to feel something. I never did that but did have to deal with the numb part. I feel I was lucky in that respect, as in others.

Mags, time accelerates more and more as we age. Last thing I remember I was a spry 60 . It used to drive me nuts, especially as I get less done, but I am starting to accept it and mostly just relax into the ride! Seeing the ocean and knowing I am looking across to the other side keeps me feeling more connected to my birth place and all of you on that side of the Atlantic. Some days I wish I could move back there!

Have a relaxing Sunday, Overs
Old 05-06-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sass- yes, I agree in some cases. The guy I was writing about attempts suicide...thus the large number of admissions...
BUT- another guy at another meeting actually talked about how he self harmed and it felt so good to feel the blood running down his arm.
In either case- I think it is sad.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Sorry you took a hard tumble Itchy. Falls happen so quickly that it is kind of surreal. I hope that you mend quickly!

FBL, 73-74 was a good year. My local team began their Cup run by beating the bad old Bruins with Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr. Enjoy the collecting.

Have a good day all!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I used to have a big junior high school crush on Bobby Clarke! I think it was the toothless smile!

And do you remember Dave Schultz’s big top 40 hit “Penalty Box?”

What a talent!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi, Overs...

First I want to send a shout out to Itch Man. Thanks for the note to ask how things are going. Sorry to read about your fall, but glad that you're on the mend. Happy belated too.

I've been offering my 2 cents occasionally on the POST's thread here. Courage started it a bit ago. Anyone, please join in from time to time. Good group and a few crossovers here.

In short, life is good...well, much better than I might have imagined it could be when I started this sober journey. I'll be 5 years in less than a month now.

The Gulf coast of Florida is paradise and I make sure to hit the beach a few times a week. I'm crazy about exercise and eating healthy and plan to become a personal trainer with a nutrition focus in a couple years. I love this thing called Savage Race and a group of us from the gym do 2 a year.

I do project mgt and business dev with a commercial contractor that I met at the ymca, my gym, that also went to Pitt at the same time I did. Coming from the banking industry, the construction industry is bizarre. Our guys get paid every Friday with nice checks and >50% are toasted all weekend. I've had a few, will you bail me out calls. Alcohol is evil to all that can't stop once the problems surface.

I'm simple minded and try to keep my recovery that way. Gratitude, humility, acceptance, looking to give back and the key for me is keeping all of it as present tense as possible. As you might expect...it's a work in progress.

Gotta boogie...off to meet a friend at Starbucks and an easy beach stroll.

My best to all, Over's!!!

Carlos
Old 05-06-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I used to have a big junior high school crush on Bobby Clarke! I think it was the toothless smile!

And do you remember Dave Schultz’s big top 40 hit “Penalty Box?”

What a talent!
"I know I broke the rules, but rules are broken by fools..." I remember that song very well indeed!

I have a Bobby Clarke autograph on a big ole toothless photo, as well as a hockey stick he used in 1972 during a game. Hard to believe that was forty some years ago!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Wow!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Interesting day. My body is going to be part of a promotional thing for the bioploymer skin that was used to save my life. Photos. It significantly reduced the amount of time I had to wear a burns garment from 2 years- 24/7 to 1 year. It significantly reduced the risk of infection and minimised scarring. It is a much cheaper option to conventional treatment..which makes it a great choice for third world countiries. It will save lives, so I am happy to let 'em use my bod.