Notices

Class of June 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 06-19-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
looking for help

Hell yeah day 1 here gotta start somewhere. Time for action and to make this the last time I quit for good!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
It's day 15 for me🎉 Just started to tell friends about my decision to stop drinking and have received great support. Feeling fantastic, present, calm, happy and committed. So glad I found the support of this forum. I'm getting a lot of insight and strength from reading everyone's posts... we can do this !!!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow, you were right about so much!

Hi Junies and welcome ronthe day 1s - I'm only two ahead of you so well done on being here!

Day three and I had my first run in with my AD voice. I got some bad news about my kid and the desire to collapse in front of the couch hit me hard.

I've also been really jumpy today - don't know if that's the withdrawal or lack of sleep but it didn't help. Im so glad for all the reading I've been doing here. I really had to argue with myself but I won! Wishing for a sober tomorrow for is all!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

welcome new folks! stick around and post whenever you need to or want to,
we're all here for each other! So glad you here.

Blondesober - awesome! It's amazing seeing what drunk people do. It's like "that was me" .....
I had to laugh at the one person asking if you're okay to drive.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I take better care of myself and my things when I don't drink. My wok is absolutely shining tonight. Scrubbing that darn thing made me really happy, too. Go figure.

Keep up the really excellent work, Junebugs. If you're on this thread at all, give yourself a hug.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Another day 1 over, hopefully the last. I've thought lots about my plan today, I'm hoping a few extra tools will make a difference. I finally bought the raational recovery book. I'm so very ready to be done drinking for good.

Night class, see you all tomorrow.
I've got to be up early to take one of my son's to the dentist so I'm really hoping for a good night's sleep!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Junebugs...

Just belatedly catching up on the most recent few pages of posts.

Colette, congratulations on your progress. Your post prompted me to pick up a book I just purchased. I'm so inclined to just zone on Netflix; it's refreshing to actually turn a page.

hez, your hypochondria is by no means stupid. I have it too; it was particularly bad just as I got to a certain age that women you know, get to. My anxiety hit (actually I think it went through) the roof; I finally had to end my relationship with Dr. Google. I still have moments where I obsess...

Sunshine, a 16th birthday? 32 people? Both are accomplishments (perhaps the former a bit more than the latter); congrats. And boy do I wish I had an answer to your most recent question...I have the same one...

Bedebea, and any other fellow Day 1 or 2 or 3-ers I'm back to early single digits myself, so no worries about feeling silly; plus, congrats on pouring out the wine! That takes a lot of courage. Sorry to hear you've recently had bad news about your kid.

Tyre, oh man, the hiding the drinking on a work trip; I was once at a conference and somehow I still had a hotel room the day we were all departing so every one of my colleagues decided we should go back and hang there. The entire walk back with the four of them to the room all I could think about is how the hell am I going to get to and hide the pint of Jack Daniels on the bedside table? I feigned needing to go in to "clean up" my messy room before they came in but then I panicked and couldn't figure out where to put the bottle! It was a nightmare come true...congrats on going through it sans alcohol this year.

Inchworm, I like the idea of giving myself a hug, I could use one tonight; done and done.

And congrats to everyone else with milestones!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Its day 16 for me.
Congratulation all who are free from alcohol.
This is feels great.
Thank you all for been here.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Another day 1 over, hopefully the last. I've thought lots about my plan today, I'm hoping a few extra tools will make a difference. I finally bought the raational recovery book. I'm so very ready to be done drinking for good.

Night class, see you all tomorrow.
I've got to be up early to take one of my son's to the dentist so I'm really hoping for a good night's sleep!
GREAT BOOK!!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey guys, been a few days since I posted. I think I'm on Day 15. Can someone talk some sense into me? I've been slowly slipping. More & more time on the computer, more time alone, less structure ... I can feel that I'm very close to caving. I just ordered a pizza & had planned to buy a bottle of bourbon to go with it, but I'm posting here to help distract me & rid me of the temptation.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Eshgham, don't do it. Try to hold onto the idea that these feelings come in waves. Sometimes the wave is so strong you don't possibly think you can get through it without buying and drinking.

But you've actually already started to defeat this wave you're in by posting here. The part of you that doesn't want to drink, the part that's starting to build muscle now, reached out in defiance of AV.

Despite sometimes feeling like they go on forever, waves do dissipate. I've found that posting here, and if I can, finding some other way to push back on AV by other distractions or simply talking back to it in my head or doing whatever can help me ride the wave until its gone.

And, when I do that, I love to greet myself in the mirror the next morning. When I don't, well, not so much.

You can do this. You've done it for 15 days, you can do it for 16. I know it.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Eshgham View Post
Hey guys, been a few days since I posted. I think I'm on Day 15. Can someone talk some sense into me? I've been slowly slipping. More & more time on the computer, more time alone, less structure ... I can feel that I'm very close to caving. I just ordered a pizza & had planned to buy a bottle of bourbon to go with it, but I'm posting here to help distract me & rid me of the temptation.
Eshgham,
Its day 16 here. I suggest you to get busy with doing something important. Hope followings will helpful to you.
1) minimize the time you spent with laptop or computer.
2) read a good book
3) Play a game/ sport (cricket/basket ball/base ball/badminton...etc..)
4) Spend more time with your family
5) If you cant manage, dont go out with friends. (I managed to stay sober in 7 parties though)
6) Start a good hobby.
Stay with the forum. this community is great.
Pabindu.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me. Feeling more alive every day. Last attempt last year made me lose 45 lbs of overweight in 3 months. After relaps gained back 20 lbs. I'm now focussing on my weight, health, nutrition, mental wellbeeing and enjoying it . My AV only speaks when i have a moment of boredom, but i reply it by saying " being bored sometimes is a signal of mental health, it means having no worries" and that puts a peace of ducktape on my AV's mouth for a while.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 3 here for me.
I'm in the UK and currently there's a bit of a heatwave so this morning when I woke up I knew I needed to wash my hair but instead just jumped in the shower and the realisation hit me that I've had two showers in as many days which is way more than I would have done if I'd been drinking. In fact, had I been drinking I'd probably just have sprayed some dry shampoo in and not given a crap about it.
I also walked the dog early and enjoyed the morning fresh air, again, something that would rarely happen if I'd been hungover.
Digestion is improving too but I can understand, after drinking for so long and the nutrients being drained by the booze, my gut is probably working overtime!
In a general good mood, taking pictures so see how long it takes for the bloated face to change but even though I'm not a morning person in the slightest, I'm really enjoying just being physically able to get up and get stuff done instead of lying there aching, sweating with a throbbing headache and nasty taste in my mouth

This morning really made me appreciate the gift that sobriety gives you

Hope everyone has a good day:-)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by argillaceous View Post
Eshgham, don't do it. Try to hold onto the idea that these feelings come in waves. Sometimes the wave is so strong you don't possibly think you can get through it without buying and drinking.

But you've actually already started to defeat this wave you're in by posting here. The part of you that doesn't want to drink, the part that's starting to build muscle now, reached out in defiance of AV.

Despite sometimes feeling like they go on forever, waves do dissipate. I've found that posting here, and if I can, finding some other way to push back on AV by other distractions or simply talking back to it in my head or doing whatever can help me ride the wave until its gone.

And, when I do that, I love to greet myself in the mirror the next morning. When I don't, well, not so much.

You can do this. You've done it for 15 days, you can do it for 16. I know it.
Thanks mate. Your post made all the difference. The feeling's passed.

Originally Posted by STHATHEMMAD View Post
Eshgham,
Its day 16 here. I suggest you to get busy with doing something important. Hope followings will helpful to you.
1) minimize the time you spent with laptop or computer.
2) read a good book
3) Play a game/ sport (cricket/basket ball/base ball/badminton...etc..)
4) Spend more time with your family
5) If you cant manage, dont go out with friends. (I managed to stay sober in 7 parties though)
6) Start a good hobby.
Stay with the forum. this community is great.
Pabindu.
Good advice! And you're right about the community
Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Beautiful June day here. Glad to be present for it. Congrats to all who are staying on the path!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 10 for me and thank you to all of your support and posts everyone! I'm trying to work up the courage to attend a Smart Recovery meeting tomorrow. I don't think AA would be for me because of the emphasis on God etc. Does anyone have experience with the Smart Recovery program?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Have to write about one of my ongoing issues or I'll collapse. Last night my grand daughter went to the ER due to medication issues(maybe?). Her mom did not call me to let me know, but I found out from Instagram. Called, got daughter who always thinks I've been drinking, although I was sober. She implied that I hadn't spoken to my GD in a long time. I've been trying to leave the whole family alone as I am trying to heal and give them time to do the same, but this was like a punch in the gut. Today I tried to call and no one will answer. Just needed to vent. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Just got back from the dentist with my youngest, quick and painless appointment. Grateful for that. Looking forward to another sober day. I'm going to dive into rational recovery today. Lots of baseball games for my boys tonight, which means lots of driving. So definitely no drinking for me today.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Awake- I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter. I hope she is doing better today. I think in family situations like that being sober and showing how you have changed is the best thing you can do. Although it hurts to wait it out. My thoughts are with you.