Notices

F.I.S.T. #2 (Finely Implemented Sobriety Techniques)

Old 04-30-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

It's been a nice couple of days since I last checked in. I closed out the month at work, accomplishing everything I needed to for the month. Im pretty impressed considering how much I had going on in my personal life with the move and the start of kids' lacrosse season. I topped off the day with a girls night at my house with a few of my good friends. I'm still getting used to how the house works, but good friends don't mind, and we had a long night of laughs. I looked back to when I first stopped drinking, wondering how I'd ever fill my time.

Yesterday the kids had games in the morning, but we were all home by lunchtime. Being around the type A high strung parents who treat their kids like elite athletes is a huge frustration for me. I think their behavior and chatter is toxic, which made me realize I'm the toxic one for letting it eat away at me. I kinda need to work on letting that go. So hopefully more to come on that front throughout the remainder of the season.

After sports I cleaned and unpacked the house while my husband did some work outside. We are chipping away at it - too slow for my alkie taste, but at what's probably a sensible pace.

I did a lot of hustling and moving and woke up with that "good ache" like I'd get from a great workout. The endorphin rush from moving furniture is definitely keeping me motivated to keep working out. I generally do 2-3 times a week.

When I quit drinking I used Oreos and frosting as harm reduction. I also stopped working out because I had been developing painful inflammatory arthritis for about 6 months prior to quitting booze.

The area where I'm struggling with my addict thinking is in healthy eating and portion control. My weight is at an all time high and I keep using the same behavior -even though I don't want to, even though it's creating bad results.

I guess that's my "rigorous honesty" - knowing where I'm doing ok and having insight as to where I'm struggling.

I need to get sober in my dieting. I've looked at dieting as a net negative of quitting all the yummy stuff, geting through my days without ever enjoying an Oreo again. I'm going to need to invoke some of my mindful sober practices on this bumpy food journey.

I share where appropriate. I'll be perfectly honest when asking for support from friends going through the same thing, but keep it to small talk with my cousin at a family party who's digging for info.

Time for breakfast! Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

Sorry about your pup, Del.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  

(((Del))) -- so sorry about your dog.

(((Courage))) -- have you found the support you need?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm so sorry about your dog, Deliza.

Just one more day of looking like I'm in control and I can go home and go to bed for 12 hours. I slept more last night and am staying in my hotel this morning. A meeting tonight might be just the thing.

((glee)) -- I admire you for withstanding the stress of that kid's sports world.

Personally I found the concept of "toxic" people -- even toxic me -- isn't helpful. A very few people are seriously dangerous, but most are just flawed as we are. Who knows what stress and troubles others have going on inside? Sometimes when I see someone acting truly obnoxious, I wonder what it's like inside that person's head. I shudder & then I'm truly grateful

Have some lovely sobriety -- it's free!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 505 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Personally I found the concept of "toxic" people -- even toxic me -- isn't helpful. A very few people are seriously dangerous, but most are just flawed as we are. Who knows what stress and troubles others have going on inside? Sometimes when I see someone acting truly obnoxious, I wonder what it's like inside that person's head. I shudder & then I'm truly grateful
This is so helpful. Thanks, cour.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  

I'm glad you finally get to breathe a sigh of relief, Cour!

I hear you, Glee. I tend to do way too much food grazing, too. I have tried to analyze it a million times. I think the all-encompassing reason for why I "live to eat" and don't just "eat to live" is entertainment.

Whether I'm sampling good food like a food critic, or grazing because I'm bored, or shoveling it in because I'm tense, or jonesing for something to chomp because I'm thinking really hard, at the root it's all the same: it entertains me in a million different ways.

I have a conviction that I need to be a better steward of my body.

I've put in a lot of work at being a better steward of my mind and emotions; but not the physical realm.

Exercise to me is anathema! I hate it to death!

But I kept almost passing out from bending over with the weeds yesterday (my BP is fine), and I get winded after three trips back and forth from the car.

I've turned into an utter marshmallow in the last three years (roughly coinciding with giving up drinking).

Tomorrow I'm going to do a beginning yoga DVD. My daughter gave it to me two Christmases ago, and it's still in the plastic!

We all know that life is not a bowl of cherries; we all have to force ourselves to do a lot of things we don't want to do every day.

And in recovery we come to terms with it! In most things I've learned how to cope pretty well (eventually).

I guess physical fitness is the last frontier--

Then it'll be time for me to croak!
Old 04-30-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  
Administrator

The other side to that is for years I tied myself in knots trying to please everybody.

It was important for me to recognise some expectations were unreasonable on me, some relationships were not healthy - and lastly - some people don't want to be pleased anyway.

Diff'rent strokes

D
Old 04-30-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for part three - if y'all want the title to change I can do that later

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...echniques.html