Notices

I tried moderation and failed miserably

Old 02-12-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I tried moderation and failed miserably

Hello

Im new here. Long story short. Im an alcoholic and havent really tried ( well once) 5 months ago, to quit. It took me acting like a lunatic and hitting my husband when I drunk. That was in September. I thought I had it under control...no drinking in the house ( which I have to say, I have been really good about that.) but when we go to dinner I find that as an excuse to have 1 or 2......never as issue there either. It seems I only lose control in family "party" situations where alcohol flows and I just cant seem to say no and I end up embarrasing myself and my husband at his families house. I thought moderation was key since " Im mot an alcoholic" since I can have one or two occasionally and be fine......but I AM and I need to stop altogether for my sake and the sake of my marriage.

Thanks for reading.....husband not as supportive as I need and I get it, hes fed up with me.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Lotus. There is a lot of experience and wisdom in the SR threads. A safe and supportive community. Look around. Keep posting. My thoughts and support to you. PJ.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you realize that moderation does not work for alcoholics. Now, accepting that you are one and surrendering to that is key- what are you going to do to support your sobriety?

Lots of good support, especially in the Newcomers section, on SR, and IRL - I am a dedicated AAer so suggest that, and there are other programs like SMART that folks around here use successfully.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I finally--took a while and several failed experiments in moderation--accepted that alcohol was a problem for me, things took a turn for the better. I stopped drinking, and worked a program.
Not saying it is easy. It isn't at first. But it gets easier as you build sober time. Husband will, hopefully, come around when you put the drink down for good.
I would stay away from those family parties for a while.