Notices

Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 09-23-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Congrats EDC and JL! Sober twins! Weird day yesterday, 8 weeks and today. Nanosecond urge to drink, nothing close to how it used to be. Progress.

Still binge watching Being Human UK on Netflix.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Old 09-24-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have a good weekend everyone
D
Thanks Dee! You too :-)
Old 09-24-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ExDrinkingCub View Post
Hi everyone.

Still alive and sober. Day 61!
Fantastice Ex!!!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Congrats on 61 !!
I think I'm on 61 today also.
Worn out tired. Good night friends
Congrats to you too, JL!!!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
Congrats EDC and JL! Sober twins! Weird day yesterday, 8 weeks and today. Nanosecond urge to drink, nothing close to how it used to be. Progress.

Still binge watching Being Human UK on Netflix.
8 weeks, Penny!!! Awesome
Old 09-24-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

So if Penny was 8 weeks yesterday, that puts me at Day 56, 8 weeks today!!!

I woke up again with that nasty sore throat but had another great night's sleep and feel really good.

No special weekend plans. My contractor is stopping by today (he couldn't make it yesterday) and we're going to finalize the plans. I just want the basement finished by Thanksgiving, which shouldn't be too hard.

I have some outdoor things to take care of before the real cold hits so I may get to them after my indoor chores.

Honestly, it feels so good to be able to make plans and follow through on them knowing I'm not hungover or planning to drink. I couldn't have done it without SR and you, my dear classmates!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 09-24-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Two months today. Somehow I feel like I am in a time warp where two months can pass in the blink of an eye and also feel like an eternity.

No real cravings left like the first thirty days which is nice but also scary at the same time. If they don't happen as regularly will my guard be down when they do return? And how will I handle the holidays as I used to love pumpkin and Christmas beer.

Still a lot of homework for me. Lots to work on socially and emotionally. Although it's been in my soberiety plan to make social plans often it has been difficult. My friends are used to me being the guy who either never made plans or stood them up to drink alone. No wonder they don't jump at the chance to schedule with me. Emotionally it's like i don't understand how a sober person responds to life. If I used to hide every emotion behind beer I have no clue what to do when one peeks out of my shadows. I'm the guy who literally misses friends after I just saw them, cries at the end of a TV series because it will never be on again, and seems so bi polar that even i don't know how I will feel next. One moment perfectly happy in a moment of solitude and the next worried I will die alone.

Tring to make moderate term goals in the next few months. I need to get a new car and I still need to find a new apartment before April which means I should start looking for both now. Joy oh joy. How do I have money to do any of these things and yet spent 90 bucks a week on booze. Such a waste of money that was.

One more night with the family. We just celebrated my nieces birthday party she's two. She's the only kid that I like and I love her to death. She even has me thinking about kids some day. Maybe I do want that. I should never take anything off the table in life. I'm relearning my old sober personality and I don't remember what I'm like. I guess i can reinvent myself if i want. It's never too late.

Thanks for listening. Love you guys.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Exdrinkingclub, Optimist4ever and Penny

D
Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Sober is beginning to feel so very normal. I've stopped waking up thinking 'wow, no thumping head', I've stopped checking how much healthier I look each time I pass a mirror. I don't feel proud of myself for passing the drinks aisle these days. My thinking isn't dominated by alcohol anymore, I'm letting go.

Time to get on with living life, and the possibilities are endless. It's a new feeling that I didn't experience when giving up for a few weeks at a time before. Maybe it's the next stage of recovery, and I like it.

Hope you're all well. Big cheers to Exdrinkingclub, Optimist4ever and Penny on your milestones.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ExDrinkingCub View Post
Two months today. Somehow I feel like I am in a time warp where two months can pass in the blink of an eye and also feel like an eternity.

Congratulations!!!!!

Wow, that is so true, Ex as I'm coming up on my 2 months. There were days that seemed to last forever but now, the 2 months almost flew by...

No real cravings left like the first thirty days which is nice but also scary at the same time. If they don't happen as regularly will my guard be down when they do return? And how will I handle the holidays as I used to love pumpkin and Christmas beer.

Ex, here is where your plan is going to come in. Have some options ready for if/when you're tempted. I used to always drink club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and a slice of lime.

Still a lot of homework for me. Lots to work on socially and emotionally. Although it's been in my soberiety plan to make social plans often it has been difficult. My friends are used to me being the guy who either never made plans or stood them up to drink alone. No wonder they don't jump at the chance to schedule with me. Emotionally it's like i don't understand how a sober person responds to life. If I used to hide every emotion behind beer I have no clue what to do when one peeks out of my shadows. I'm the guy who literally misses friends after I just saw them, cries at the end of a TV series because it will never be on again, and seems so bi polar that even i don't know how I will feel next. One moment perfectly happy in a moment of solitude and the next worried I will die alone.

Tring to make moderate term goals in the next few months. I need to get a new car and I still need to find a new apartment before April which means I should start looking for both now. Joy oh joy. How do I have money to do any of these things and yet spent 90 bucks a week on booze. Such a waste of money that was.

One more night with the family. We just celebrated my nieces birthday party she's two. She's the only kid that I like and I love her to death. She even has me thinking about kids some day. Maybe I do want that. I should never take anything off the table in life. I'm relearning my old sober personality and I don't remember what I'm like. I guess i can reinvent myself if i want. It's never too late.

Thanks for listening. Love you guys.
Ex, you'll find yourself! You were probably drinking for more years than you've been sober. It will take time, but you'll gradually feel and think more clearly and there you'll be!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 5upersonic View Post
Sober is beginning to feel so very normal. I've stopped waking up thinking 'wow, no thumping head', I've stopped checking how much healthier I look each time I pass a mirror. I don't feel proud of myself for passing the drinks aisle these days. My thinking isn't dominated by alcohol anymore, I'm letting go.

Time to get on with living life, and the possibilities are endless. It's a new feeling that I didn't experience when giving up for a few weeks at a time before. Maybe it's the next stage of recovery, and I like it.

Hope you're all well. Big cheers to Exdrinkingclub, Optimist4ever and Penny on your milestones.

I'm so happy for you!!!!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Woke up to a house full of kids this morning, at least 8. LOL! I heard them arrive at about 3AM and when I came down to the kitchen at 5:30AM, they were still awake! They all had a great time at the homecoming dance and came back here to swim in the pool and relax in the hot tub. I'd rather they be here than out driving around or hanging out in a park. They're a good bunch of guys...

Sore throat is still lurking with a headache, but I did manage to exercise yesterday. And will today. That keeps me going...

There's a leaders meeting tonight for our recovery group and I'm not looking forward to it. This is the guy who's very rough around the edges and says some of the most ridiculuous stuff. I'm also getting burned out. I'm there every Tuesday from 6 until 11 (and later) helping out with the visuals and sound board. I've not had one person volunteer to switch with me, maybe every other week, so I could get a break. I think I'm one of the only leaders with a full time job (stay at home moms, stay at home dads, students) . Anyway, say a prayer for me that I can come across intelligently and calmly.

Other than that, I'm still organizing and clearing out the basement. I can't wait until it's done...
Old 09-25-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi guys!! congrats JL and Exdrinking and everyone else.

Day 86 here. I'm attacking my auto-immune 'disease,' on a few fronts. I can't feel like this anymore. It's no wonder I drank it away for 20 years. Now I have the fortitude to go after it. Exhaustion, foggy headed, confusion, chronic rashes, sore throat, terrible allergies to everything, food allergies. I'm looking hard at Celiac's disease and Candida overgrowth. So I'm off gluten, wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, all of the major allergic/inflammatory foods now. It's only been 2 days without gluten so I'll have to wait and see. Also I have a prescription for candida growth.

It really isn't hard to do the diet when you feel so bad. I can have all the salad stuff I want, meats, brown rice, fruits, whatever. Just nothing listed above and no gluten. Nothing premade. Oatmeal with bananas for breakfast, a huge smoothie during the day, a big salad at night with chicken, or turkey, meat, fish. I can't hurt to do it for a month and see what happens. You never know what you could be eating that you're allergic to, but people shouldn't have strong sensitivities to 15 different foods. There is something else at work here.

I feel pretty solid in my sobriety. I have no thoughts of having a drink. Despite felling crappy and sick, my thinking has changed. I'm not raging about everything. I trust that things will work out instead of letting them worry me to death. A lot is changing. I just have this hurdle to get over and everything could change for me.

Ok. Later
Old 09-25-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Viperidae - best wishes on your health journey.
(Oatmeal may elicit symptoms in people with gluten sensitivities.)

Best wishes, everybody
Old 09-25-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good to know Caramel!! Geez. I had no idea. I need to do some reading! And I'm going to go to a professional. An ND as soon as I can. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Day 63, starting week nine. I figure they measure school quarters in nine week periods, so that would be 25% of a school year.

Feeling better today, happy to just embrace the peace whenever it comes.

I start physical therapy for my foot on Tuesday so that will be a new challenge to tackle (and after waiting forever to finally have it looked at maybe the pain will slowly go away).

I'm not thrilled for what is to be a busy week at work, but I'll take the distraction, at least I won't feel like death from a hangover (never ever will miss that feeling). The new morning routine of going in earlier is successful. I can find a place to park for the bus, and I am a little more centered having a quiet cup of coffee going through emails before things kick off.

If I need to remember anything to be grateful for, it is that I am sober. I always worried I wasn't starting for the right reasons (literally having to clean up my act), but as time moves along, I realize that I am doing it for ME. At least I am running the plays of my life now, instead of being backseat driver to alcohol. If I had continued down the road, something much more terrible could of happened other than my loss of pride. Maybe things aren't coming together as picturesque as I'd like, but life isn't easy for anyone (perhaps especially recovering alcoholics). And it's not as though I feel my prayers haven't been answered, instead of a hard no, I'm dealing with the "not right now" and I'm working towards that acceptance. I'll take the win for today.

I'm happy you are all on the journey with me: JL I'm over the moon for your new job, Optimist I am glad you have those kids to keep you busy and I'll be thrilled for you when the basement is finished, Viper I hope your journey to healthy eating is a success!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Just got a bath in our lake. Got off work- well pumps out.
Ppl coming tomorrow.
Thankful for a credit card !
Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Woke up feeling a bit unnerved after having a vivid dream that I'd been drinking. Had a load of negative feelings that I used to get after drinking come flooding back. Feeling relieved but somewhat unsettled. I have zero desire to drink but in my dream it had happened before I knew it.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never put much stock in dreams myself 5upersonic.

In past years, I would often dream of high school, but I have no desire to go back there

D