Notices

Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hey all.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Greetings

This week has been mad busy at work, and by the time the kids are in bed I'm too tired to do anything much other than sleep myself. Looking forward to getting some rest over the weekend.

I've been reading every post, normally when I'm getting ready for work, but that doesn't leave much time for posting myself.

I joined the group late, having fallen out of so many groups in the past. I've forgotten quite a few passwords in my time on SR so I've had numerous reincarnations as a user over the years. I had never made it past a month before so I decided to only join the group when I was one month in this time. That said I was reading SR most days.

I'll try and post a bit more over the weekend, as mentioned it really helps to read and write about our shared experiences.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

How are you and the kids, JL? I hope you're all feeling better.
Thanks for posting 5upesonic and Viper and Caramel and anyone I may have missed.
Today is 30 days!!! I get to pick up my chip. But the greatest part is I am feeling so much better.
I have an activity today that I haven't had time to plan for. Woke up worried about it. I am counting on God to make it work, give me the strength and intelligence to pull it off.
Sunday is Grandparents Day and I have a huge event then, too. I've planned for it more, and have a little more time to get it together, but I'm still worried over it.
I'm going to my favorite meeting tonight and am going to sign up to make it my home group. Another thing I've been needing to do. And I'm making an appointment with my sponsor to finish this second step and move on to three officially, even though that's what I've been really focusing on the past week.
Have a fantastic sober day everyone! Thank God it's Friday!!! Even for those of us who work weekends, I think the weekend atmosphere is so much better that it's still a great relief to get to Friday.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 Karen !!
You deserve that chip ! 30 days ...... AND nights, they say for that chip. The kids are better and running full steam like crazy. I'm on day 3 of the antibiotic, they're on 4. I'm dragging but not near as much as before. Today at 5 pm I'm scheduled to have a telephone interview with Waste Managment as a driver. I just now have enough driving experience to actually apply and this company's known as the better or best place to work for. Lot of long time employees. It's not in my hands just as the hospital jobs not, but I'm just doing my part, or at least what o think is my part.
Thy will not mine-
Going to get tires put on wife's car tomorrow. We saved $$ by ordering them online. One local tire place refused to put them on because we didn't buy them from them. Oh sorry I saved at least 100$.- :/

Glad to hear from everyone !
Old 09-09-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I'm back at work today.
I'm just down from being sick I guess. If ppl goth another class here, there's less ppl posting. I felt lonely I guess. Like classes get smaller and ppl stop posting. It really helps me to talk to folks in here.
We have had a few people join other classes, JL ( I searched for some of our earlier members) so that for sure contributes to less people in our class.

There are a couple of other threads you can post to in addition to this one. There's a 1 year and under thread, a weekend thread and quite a few others. I'll often look at all the new threads and chime in or just read and get some motivation.

Keep posting, though!!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenOskie View Post
One thing I thought of. I have been in a lot of groups, trying to get sober, relapsing, starting over in another month. This is the first time I've been one of the ones that stuck! I still miss the others, but hey, I'm glad I'm still here! And you all, too!
I'm glad you're here too, Karen!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I think talking about a program of recovery is helping us hugely.
Just please let me know if we come to a consensus about joining another group. I'm not drinking and it honk were all in about the same place so learning to live while sober is a challenge and a life change we already identify with, without even mentioning it. Every post I read I'm like "mm hmm", I feel that!
I have a new phone so trying to get it tuned up a bit. Been yrs!
I don't plan on leaving this class, JL :-)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 30 Karen!
Glad you and your family are feeling a bit better today, JL. Kids do bounce back sooner, don't they?
Thanks for checking in 5upesonic, Viper and Caramel. Nice to see you posting and still with us :-)

I just got done working for the day. For some reason, I woke up exhausted and just wanted to sleep all day, but I didn't. I should sleep well tonight :-) Now to start the second half of my day, LOL.

I may have mentioned that my cleaning lady isn't going to be able to clean for me as much as she used to. Her part time job is more like full time and she's exhausted every day. So now I have to figure out how to get it all done myself...something I haven't done in years. My house isn't huge, (2,500 sq feet) but it does take time because I'm pretty meticulous. But, I am so thankful I HAVE a house to clean! Now, if this happened while I was still drinking, there would be no way I would clean because I would have either been hung over or drunk. Thankful for that too!

Anyone have any exciting weekend plans? I don't, LOL. Still trying to figure out the basement situation. I'm going to make a goal of getting the prices for all the items I need and compare them to the quotes from the contractor. Hopefully, my prices will be lower and I can save a few bucks.

I hope everyone has a wonderful, sober day today!

Old 09-09-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Karen

have a good weekend gang

D
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Congrats Karen. At day 30 you'll feel better and better, faster.

I've been more busy than usual. I need to catch up here. I'm getting to about 70 days. Unprecedented.

I'll be here. I always think to post when I'm in bed and really ready to sleep. So I'll have to come on in the day.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Congratulation Karen and Viper on your 30 days and 70 days, that's fantastic!

Hi JL and Optimist

Something that's always bothered me is my Dads lack of acknowledgement for the problems that his alcoholism has caused. He's always been a big drinker, and has been lucky with his health so is still able to put away 1-2 bottles of wine a day. His life has always revolved around drinking, and he has made it very clear on many occasions that he will drink what he wants when he wants and if you don't like it then to hell with you. It's so selfish because every early evening, without fail, he is slurring his speech and acting the bore. By the time other people would normally start drinking he's a rambling embarrassing mess. He hasn't been able to take his drink particularly well for many years now, no doubt due to the punishment he's put himself through. And I really believe that he has never once wanted to quit. The only thing that stops him starting earlier in the day is my Mum, and he's made it clear that if she weren't around he'd drink himself to death because he'd have nothing left to live for. Despite having children and grandchildren.

Sorry to ramble, I'm not looking for advice on this because it is what it is but just wanted to get it off my chest. I do acknowledge that I've been incredibly selfish my own drinking.

Still sober. Have a great weekend all.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Dudes and dudettes!! 71 days. Omg.

I've been talking about getting my motocycle license for a long time now. Nobody thought I'd do it. Anyway, all of the State classes are Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday. Plus driving time and all of that, you're talking about 2, 10 hour days. With my anxiety the fact that my body just shuts down under stress, that has not been an option. I got the name of a guy from The Department of Transportation and explained the situation and the State offers individual lessons on your own schedule for $850. The normal class is $200. I got a doctors letter and the State is paying the $650 difference. The class is out of a major military facility that's an hour away. I decided if I wanted this to be a success, I should not make that insane New York City style commute in the morning to get there, so I got a hotel 5 minutes away. I also felt my body shutting down 2 days beforehand and I went to a clinic and begged for some Prednisone. The doc gave me 10 pills.

I broke the pills and only used 2.5 of them for the day before and day of. Man did that help. I felt normal for the first time in a while. I gotta fleet to the bottom of this auto immune stuff going on with me.

The first day went great. It was even fun. The instructor is a 1992 Iraq Veteran who also struggled with alcohol and sinks his whole life into biking. It's his 'cure.' My exact age. Really nice guy who took his passion, derives a great income from it, and then travels the Southern beaches for 5 months every winter.

Monday I have another full day and a night booked at The Marriot for Sunday. Marriot ended up being the same price as anything decent. The night I spent in the hotel on Thursday was one of the most relaxing nights I've had in ages.

I have a 3 hour online course to complete and after Monday all I need is my written test and a new license with (Motocycle) added to it. If nothing else this a huge confidence builder for me.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I'm excited for you Viper!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I love seeing everyone maintaining their sobriety! It really does come down to 1 day at a time, and often for me (especially in the beginning) 1 hour at a time. We can do this!

It's finally cooling down here :-) I planned on getting some yard work done today but the rain is moving in so, I'll be tackling the basement. The contractor called me yesterday and I'm going to send him the list of items I will purchase, and not use his contractor grade materials. I'm still not feeling warm fuzzies but I want the basement done before Thanksgiving and he has the time. Hopefully, it will all work out.

I'm getting a late start but it sure felt good to sleep in this morning :-)

Hope everyone has a good day today!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Supersonic, I know exactly what you're talking about. My dad was a Marine, and then an executive who traveled a lot and boozed it up. He was either not there or drunk and unpredictable. He did plenty of damage. I felt like a BIG NOTHING the entire time I grew up. He had no ability to relate to me. And was a super 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps type.' Horrible. With inherited depression on my mom's side I was kind of ignored by him.

He had fits of rage. Broke things. Would come home at 4a.m. and yell and scream at my mom. He seriously had no clue he was majorly f-ing my life.

He took me to seedy 'clubs' he had keys to the back doors of. Places that did not have to obey the normal bar laws. He was a serious baseball player way back, and the club would have used up minor league drunk gamblers, bookies, etc. it was terrifying. I can't believe that during the day he was meeting with senators and CEO's and pulling it all off, totally charming.

He's still drinking. He did cut way back for a long time, but it's absurd now and he's in his 80's.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Feeling bad.
Wife took kids to a drive in movie. I have to work tomorrow so not staying out late. Kind of down, and exhausted. Binge watching some tv . About it.
Sober -
Old 09-10-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you'll feel better tomorrow JL
D
Old 09-10-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Thanking the gods for my last hold out, a tiny dose of benzodiazepines when I start feeling like I want a cigarette or anything, or I'm just stressed out. Took a half of a milligram the day before my motorcycle class. Just took a half tonight.

I'll try to check in tomorrow from the hotel. If not it'll be in a couple of days.

night
Old 09-10-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Still around, still sober. Enjoy reading about all of you even though I'm still quiet. Tomorrow is seven weeks, wow oh wow. I promise I'll catch up with you all tomorrow. I like reading about everyone everyday I just havent had much to say, so don't leave our little family I promise I'll be more social

Feel well everyone and get some rest this weekend! Love you all
Old 09-11-2016, 01:21 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hiya! Checking in on day 50.

Bet you can't wait to get your basement done now Optimist, I think it's really important to fill our sober time with constructive things and l bet you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of it when it's all done. Some months ago I bought everything I need to upgrade my reef fish tank. All new tank, equipment etc. It will mean l can relocate it so we can put a small piano in the current tanks place for the kids to learn. Planning to make a start an it today.

Exciting news on the bike Viper, l often go fishing on my own or with a close buddy and camp out at night. It's tiring but l love the sense of freedom in getting away from it all. Guess its similar on the bike.

Hope your feeling better today JL.

Have a good day all.