Notices

Class of April 2016 Part 6

Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi all! Day 61! And welcome to Sath! I'm wiped out and have to hit the hay
Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Workouts...
I work retail and run around like an idiot. I average 11, 000 - 15,000 steps when I work. I push conveyances of freight and throw boxes of mdse on the shelf.

Now that I'm actually exercising, I can feel the difference. As mentioned, it's the endorphins that give an awesome high. It lasts for hours too.

Not to mention the sense of accomplishment. No matter how bad the day goes, you can count on having the win that you worked out.

I've been sober for almost 14 months now and FINALLY made myself do it. I KNEW I would be glad I did it, but I just didn't have the motivation.

Although I have membership at a gym (ymca) which I use for kids stuff mostly, I purposely looked for options that didn't include the gym. The whole Idea of dressing for the public, getting in the car, driving there... So many steps that just makes it harder to go.

My first action was walking. I have an app for that too. It tells me walk faster when needed. I made myself walk hard for 30 min. It was a nice day and the walk was rewarding. Felt great to get some air and soak up the sun.

I did it again the next day with a mission to beat a Stat on my app; walk faster, or further, or longer, etc.

I took a day off because I was sore. Since then, every time I go, I have the mission to beat a Stat. On my 4th walk, I decided to raise the bar and walk hard with a little running. Each time I go, I still beat at least one Stat. I normally walk 2 miles in 30min. The last time I did that route, I was able to jog half of it. I also added a quarter mile to maintain 30mins.

I cannot begin to express how good it feels. Once you start with a mission to do just a little better than the last, you don't want to stop.

Yesterday I walked 4 miles fast! No running. Next time I will add some jogging.

And now I've added 30 day challanges!

It all started with a 30 min walk on a nice day.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning

Welcome Sath and incontrol.

I started with a couch to 5k running app about 3 years ago and last year did a couple of 10ks. I've done another 10k this year and plan to do a half marathon in October. The thought is very scary atm but I know 5k did at one time and when I managed that 10k seemed impossible. I need to start mixing up training and doing some of the strength stuff.

It's been a pretty stressful week in one way or another this week (well the last few weeks). A friend turned up with a gift of wine last night. I'm not going to drink it and it's nice that it didn't even cross my mind.

Thursday is my Friday because I try not to work Fridays. I use it to get straight on housework because most weekends I'm busy with the kids. Can't get my head into work though this morning.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! And may you have a happy and sober day tomorrow. I love the idea of the 30 minute workout challenge. Any specific apps you would recommend? Seems like there are a few to choose from.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!

Day 53. Staying sober is a rollercoaster ride. One day headaches, fuzziness no energy, the next full of beans and raring to go. It feels like a good day so far today so I'll make the most of it.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 11! The days add up quick. I feel great. I have been doing a lot of strength exercises. I think I will go to a couple of classes at the gym next week. They have a lot of yoga classes but I am afraid I am not limber enough!! lol. They say it's for all fitness levels so I may try it. I have no trouble with the cardio classes but I shy away from the ones that require coordination! The gym has a nice pool too...I need to start using it!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello all,everyone sounds great😊 Kopfan,I'm feeling the same way,one day great,next day yuck,then great again its so weird,hope we all have an easy day😊
Old 06-16-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sath79 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! And may you have a happy and sober day tomorrow. I love the idea of the 30 minute workout challenge. Any specific apps you would recommend? Seems like there are a few to choose from.
The free version from Jozic is pretty good and what I started with. Good reviews. I've since upgraded to a paid version with built in timers, reminders, and instructional videos rather than pics. It's under $4 and offers more full body challanges like The Beach Body Challange. It's "30 day fitness challange"

Start with the freebie and see how far you can ride that train.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Hello all,everyone sounds great😊 Kopfan,I'm feeling the same way,one day great,next day yuck,then great again its so weird,hope we all have an easy day😊
This is very common in early sobriety and as long as you don't drink, don't worry.

Jimi Hendrix's "Manic Depression" could have been my early sobriety theme song.

I had days were I could barely get out of bed and days when I started four different major house projects the same day. I still suffer from the lack of motivation curse at times. It's just called Life.

Don't be hard on yourselves. Be nice to yourself. Eat some ice cream,lol,if you aren't feeling it. Try to make the most of each 24 hour day. It's still better than spending the day staring at the clock wondering when you can start drinking!

Quitting drinking isn't for wimps. You are all showing incredible strength whether you realize it or not.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I love my April 15 brother Stargazer.
He joined us late. Had racked up a bunch of sober days before joining. Always insightful. Been a huge factor in my sobriety.

"quitting isn't for wimps"

Love it.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So the other day I struggled to make myself run after a couple days off. Two days off was kinda ok with me, but I had issue with three. Yet nooo desire to do it. Even though I KNEW I would be happier of I did.

I was on pace to do nothing that day. Again. Probably not even eat bfast or lunch.* Just sit around then feel guilty for it later. Again.

Got me thinking. Why is that? There's no doubt I would feel better if I ran. I Knew that,* but still had a very difficult time doing it.

I found some information that was interesting on my typical over-analyze google search session.

I came across "The time paradox. The new psychology of time that will change your life"

It turns out I am heavily present and past focused.* Present focused people have a difficult time acting on things that effect the future. No matter how logical or obvious the future result will be.

There was a study done on 4yr old children where they were given a marshmallow and told they could eat it now, but if they waited 15min, they would get another marshmallow.

70% of the kids ate it right away. The study was done in several countries at different times, all with the same result.

14yrs later, they checked in on thise kids and found huge differences. Those who ate them right away:
- scired 250 less on their SATs on avg.
- were far more depressed.
- far more likely not to floss or do regular health check ups.
- far more likely to be alcoholics or drug addicts.
- not nearly as successful in careers.
The list went on and on.

Those who are extremely future-focused tended to sacrafice family and friends or enjoy today and appreciate what they have.

Im not really shocked or surprised to see that I am present-focused, but it was a bit of an "ah-huh" moment for me.

I can change my focus by practicing future thinking daily until it becomes a habit.

All interesting stuff. If you're bored, look up "the marshmallow effect" on you tube. Look for the dude speaking on TED tv. He has a couple vids, but the TED talk was most informative.

Here's some links for you to check out. I'm sure you'll find it informative and maybe even helpful.*

ASSESSMENT
Take this quick test to see where you land.
(choose the first one ZPTI)

*http://www.thetimeparadox.com/surveys/

COMPARE YOUR RESULTS
Compare to this graph. The ideal scores are shown with red dots. Any area that is extremely out of wack is causing problems for you.

https://kathrynweldsblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/philip-zimbardo-ideal-time-perspective.jpg

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
Here's a link that summarizes each category and how it effects your life. Be sure to at least read this.

http://www.thetimeparadox.com/2008/08/03/an-overview-of-time-perspective-types/

FINALLY
I started reading this book. It's very enlightening and is already helping me. Knowledge is power. I have a better grip on why I have the problems I do. Before I was spending too much effort on physical reasons like diet,* dopamine,* or serotonin issues.

I found a free pdf download of it. Just search "The time paradox pdf"* choose WordPress listing.* No virus,* no gimmicks.* Just a scanned version.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Actually.. IDK what's up with all the *

LOL. I made the post on my memo app then copied to here and that's what happened.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing well. I baked up a STORM this evening. Midwest the cheese cake came out PERFECT. I made a simple mixed berry sauce to put over it and I covered the edges with almonds. I also baked my usual low carb PB dark chocolate chip cookies for my friend. I had a big salad for dinner. I decided not to work out today because my wrists and thighs hurt like hell from the workout I did yesterday. I'm gonna go for a long walk and climb some hills tomorrow. I'm gonna try and post some pics of my cookies and cheese cake.

I've been having MAJOR problems with focusing lately. I'm typically kind of absent minded, but it's gotten really bad in the past few days. I went to the store today to pick up THREE things. I had the list in my HAND. Cauliflower, turkey bacon, and chicken wings. I got the cauliflower, and I got the chicken except I picked up drumsticks instead of wings. I saw the brand "Halal" and I just picked it up without looking at what KIND of chicken it was. I didn't even get the the turkey bacon. I wasn't even thinking about it. I didn't even look down at my list. I just got a half a lb of turkey slices. I'm sober, I'm eating SUPER healthy, I'm working out. I don't get it. It's actually starting to worry me a little bit. Maybe I have a mild case of ADHD.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5166.JPG (78.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I dunno why the other photos aren't uploading. If you want to see my cookies and the finished cheese cake just check out my snapchat iloveyouny. I snap everything I cook and bake.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

IMG_5166_zpsp7hjhpib.jpg Photo by deathtothefannypack | Photobucket

Here I made a photobucket for you guys to see the desserts.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!

Those cookies look gorgeous Tati!

"Quitting Isn't For Wimps" Love it!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-17-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, Happy Friday.
Tati, that looks SO good. Maybe a new career is being born for you with this low-carb baking....just a thought
In control, the time paradox stuff sounds very interesting. I think I'm going to give the quiz a try. I wonder if I started as a future focused person when I was young who has changed into a present focused person. Wonder if that's possible...

Today is day 70 for me--10 weeks! This afternoon getting haircuts with my twins to celebrate. Long overdue for all of us.
Another soccer tournament this weekend in this heat. The heat index was well over 100 this week (temps up to 97). Every summer I wonder why we live here!

I hope you all have a strong weekend.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Tati: The cheesecake looks delicious.

Suzie: Congratulations on 70 Days.

I am into an assignment in Mexico where I am commuting or working 12 to 14 hours per day. No time for partying or drinking which is good. Today is Day 76. Fell good. Have a craving once in a while.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I am feeling really down today. I am working way too much. I worked through last weekend, then had monday off, but now it looks like I'm going to have to work through this weekend, too. I have some days off coming up, thank God! I am over tired, and yesterday at the cookout I put on for Father's Day things weren't going well, people didn't show up to do the things they said they would do, and I said to one of the assistants, who had gone inside to set up tables indoors instead of being out doing the things she was assigned to do, "It's ten minutes until the cookout and now we're just going to cancel?". She got really ticked off at me and now I'm feeling really bad. I wish I had handled it better. But they needed to be doing what they were supposed to do, too. So, I'm all mixed up.
I hope today is better. I hope everyone has a good sober day and weekend.