Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 52

Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

I'm sipping on my morning coffee and thinking about what everyone has said about relapse. Other alcoholics are wonderful support.

I think that alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful, and will stop at nothing to get an alcoholic to drink. Anytime I start to ponder why I drank, it has helped me to have the reality check that I drank because I was an alcoholic.

When I drank I thought it was because of what was happening in my life - stresses, challenges, disappointments, and successes too. I drank over all those things over the years!

My aunt's recent passing offered interesting perspectives into alcoholism. Many family members, including my dear aunt herself, are alcoholics/addicts and over the next few days they drank non stop. One of her nieces came to the wake super drunk; the next day at the funeral she had a cast covering her arm from a fall. A daughter was "bragging" that her husband was treating her well by giving her drinks from morning til night. A cousin was "honoring" my aunt by making the drink they always drank together. I prayed for them because when I was an active alcoholic my aunt's death would have been my reason to drink.

I am incredibly grateful that in recovery I see what a toxic way that is to muddle through a loss. Last week I sensed my aunt when something really funny happened. I could hear her giggle and imagine her warm smile. She liked to laugh and appreciated a well-timed joke!!

I've learned in recovery that I don't "need" to drink. What I need to do is take good care of myself mind body and soul.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Well, I just had a realization.
It's been a rough week and I've been a bit snippy (not proud of that).
*However*- the good side is that means I have the energy to be snippy.
I'm believe I'm coming out of a depressive episode. I can taste food again (on and off) and I can hear music again (on and off).

I was diagnosed with clinical depression many years ago after a particularly bad episode. Things were getting better.
Then a series of life events happened--I made the fateful decision to 'enhance' my meds--let the AV in---and several years passed...
(Sometimes I'd like to have a few choice words with that little AV putz, but I don't want to waste the headspace.)

Anyway, if I am indeed pulling out of this episode, it means that it was only, I figure, three months. And it wasn't severe.

Feeling grateful for that.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Mmmm, coffee ...
Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Mmmm coffee---thanks Thump. it sure does taste good today.
Have a good day everyone !
Babs
Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post gleefan, it's interesting to see active alcoholics/addicts in sobriety. Definitely not a healthy way to deal with a loss in the family.

tokidoki - Glad you're on the path to feeling better. Take care of yourself.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Morning Undies,

I just finished a batch of Coconut Milk Latte, or, coined CML by my Whole 30 peeps. It has become my morning staple for almost a year now. I french-press the coffee, add a third can coconut milk and Nutribullet this mixture. It is pure heaven!

Just thought I would offer a thought on "why I drank". I was 5 days into AA and talking with some guy trying to explain why I drank for some random UNIQUE reasons.

All of a sudden this dude walks past and says, "Do you want to know why you drink"? Yes, I answered...did this random chance evesdrop encounter dude actually have the answer to a question that had plagued me for decades? Years of therapy and still no definitive rationale to my insanity.

He said, "You drink because you are an alkie....that's what we alkies do - WE DRINK. So simple, yet it had such a profound effect on my early recovery.

I was finally able to stop blaming all OTHER people, places and things and accept full responsibility. No one but me and my disease were at fault. The paradox is that by right then and there, being able to accept full responsibility, I was set free of soooo many perceived resentments.

I wasn't a unique drunk at all - I was just following through with what my disease was plotting for me and all others with this affliction.

It is just one paradoxical thing after another in recovery that simply blows my mind. This post is an example...I need to give away my path of experience, strength and hope in order to keep it.

Interestingly, though, as my disease progressed, my "perceived" reasons for drinking mostly became darker with thoughts of need and killing pain. Early on in my alcoholism, my reasons were mostly focused on want, not need, and how that liquid offered fun.

Bottom line, though - I drank because I am an alkie. Simplicity in recovery is what I seek. KISS

I so enjoy reading this thread and all the support that it offers. Nice to see you, Amp, and that you are doing well.

My best to all - and, enjoy a beautiful, clean and sober Saturday!!

Carlos
Old 03-19-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Amp, I'm happy (not surprised) that you are doing well. Good for you for doing what you need to in order to stay that way. Anniversaries are happy times but are also a space where the AV can sneak in.

Tokidoki, it sounds like you are doing well!

Glee and Carlos, I always appreciate your posts.

Hi to all!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Great post IWLSAST.

I always had excuses to carry on drinking - unhappy in my job, unhappy in my relationship, stressful life events, stressed about college, unhappy home life. I changed my entire life around while I was drinking so these weren't a factor anymore. But I was still drinking. It made me realise that I was drinking because I'm an alcoholic. Simple as that.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thank you Carlos---it hit home for me.
Babs
Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Great attitude Letitgo. I slipped on Thursday and I am still baffled why I want that stuff. But I was told it gets easier after three months. Although I am not sure because I relapse after five months a long time ago. Mind you that was a long time ago and I felt I coukd moderate back then.i know I definitely can't now
KNB-I can understand how you slipped at 5 months. That is where I am now and my AV tries to convince me that it's time to put this sobriety thingy to the test and see if I can engage in the occasional party night, or wine with dinner when out at an event...and then have sober days the rest of the time. If I can do it then cool for me...if not it's got to be complete abstinence.
The closer I get to this "event" I have staged in my mind the more I notice that I really like being sober. I really like having clear thoughts and no hangovers. I'm hoping that as time passes I realize I really don't want or need to test myself at all.

Amp-I'm glad things are going so well!
Letitgo-you're making great choices!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Yes there were always many excuses to drink eg its a nice day, I feel sad,let's celebrate,I can have just one,blah blah blah...

My disease needs no help from me feeding it.

So I come here and commit for another day,gain strength from you my fellow warriors and rejoice that I haven't drank today.

Peace

Vanderman
Old 03-20-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice day everyone
Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Van, it's good to see you regularly. I don't know if this happens to you - when I am in the midst of emotional stuff, I often don't see clearly and thus difficult situations feel even scarier. I have found that bouncing things off others can make a big difference. I hope you'll feel free to use us that way if you need to!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Mmmm, coffee ...
I hear that!!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I'm back on this site after being absent for a few months. I'm keen to jump back in and catch up and will be replying to a lot of stuff on this thread as there's a lot of goodness!

I'm over 3 months sober and glad to be back here :-)

Hope you are all well and looking forward to catching up!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Van, it's good to see you regularly. I don't know if this happens to you - when I am in the midst of emotional stuff, I often don't see clearly and thus difficult situations feel even scarier. I have found that bouncing things off others can make a big difference. I hope you'll feel free to use us that way if you need to!
Bingo.
I hate that feeling when i am so adamant about being upset and the next day I realize i way overreacted due to my lizard brain.

In the heat of the moment or the heart of the storm my thinking and vision is so blurred.

Great thoughts Saskia!!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vandermast View Post
My father's back in hospital..terminal cancer.. I have so many conflicting thoughts and emotions around this its not even funny.

Sober today...one day at a time

Van
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm sending you lots of love. Stay strong
Old 03-20-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I'm sipping on my morning coffee and thinking about what everyone has said about relapse. Other alcoholics are wonderful support.

I think that alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful, and will stop at nothing to get an alcoholic to drink. Anytime I start to ponder why I drank, it has helped me to have the reality check that I drank because I was an alcoholic.

When I drank I thought it was because of what was happening in my life - stresses, challenges, disappointments, and successes too. I drank over all those things over the years!

My aunt's recent passing offered interesting perspectives into alcoholism. Many family members, including my dear aunt herself, are alcoholics/addicts and over the next few days they drank non stop. One of her nieces came to the wake super drunk; the next day at the funeral she had a cast covering her arm from a fall. A daughter was "bragging" that her husband was treating her well by giving her drinks from morning til night. A cousin was "honoring" my aunt by making the drink they always drank together. I prayed for them because when I was an active alcoholic my aunt's death would have been my reason to drink.

I am incredibly grateful that in recovery I see what a toxic way that is to muddle through a loss. Last week I sensed my aunt when something really funny happened. I could hear her giggle and imagine her warm smile. She liked to laugh and appreciated a well-timed joke!!

I've learned in recovery that I don't "need" to drink. What I need to do is take good care of myself mind body and soul.
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I'm very pleased though that you're sober and getting some insight though. I can relate a lot. My family drink a lot and it's treated as a joke, but the fact is that it's caused a lot of pain, much of which could have been avoided.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Yogini

D
Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Good to see you again. How have you been?