Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 2

Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Thanks NewLeaf. Relaxing is a bit hard right now....my heart is still racing from watching an exciting game on TV. Nice to actually have that adrenaline rush and be totally sober. Last week I was watching an exciting game and don't even remember the end. Had to read about it after I got home from the hospital.

I'm trying to just keep telling myself that if whatever happened last week was truly horrible and I was saying offensive things or something, then I'd have heard about it now a week later. I'm not an angry drunk at all, in fact often quite the opposite where I'll get overly friendly and emotional, so maybe it was as simple as someone found my lying there and called for help. I'd imagine the paramedics wouldn't intentionally cause a ton of noise and then even if there was a siren, that's something that happens every night in NYC.

Ugh, I really need to stop fixating on this and move on. I know getting sent to the hospital is a crappy thing to have happen, but it could have been a lot worse. I could have wound up in jail, hit by a car, etc. I know that if I stop drinking completely, I'll never wind up at the hospital again (for overconsumption at least).
Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Well done Nymets. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to order an alcoholic drink but you didn't. WTG !!!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still can't recall some blackout episodes.
You have to let it go.

The more years that go by the less it matters anyway

D
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee/Esspee. Relaxing now. Not too worried about falling asleep. If I'm tired at work tomorrow, then so be it. Better than being hungover.

Watching some stuff about alcoholism on YouTube. There's an amazing one from Craig Ferguson. He was the same age as me when he quit and apparently it was Feb 18th (Feb 19th was my first day sober). While I can't relate to the suicidal thoughts he discusses, I definitely felt a connection with what he talked about.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

My sobriety date is February 18 so I guess that makes me sobriety twins with Craig Ferguson. Hah hah. I'll have to go watch - thanks for telling us about it.

And yes better to be tired than tired AND hungover!!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Glad to see people coping at least - remember, focus on every day of clear-headedness as victory, and focus on the feeling of clear-headedness that must be defended & held onto - not the booze that must be avoided.

Apart from two slip-ups this month, have steered completely clear of the booze. Changed quite a bit in my entire mentality about a lot of things. Going 2 or 3 weeks without a drink is no problem at all now, possibly longer - whereas before, going even 24 hours without 2 or 3 drinks was unthinkable not all that long ago.

Also been sticking to vegetarian diet, no main meal for dinner (either no dinner at all, or something small, like a cake, or a banana, or some cherry tomatoes), and doing a minimum 10km speed walk every day.

Consequently, checked the scales to find I've dropped at LEAST 5kg since New Years Eve when I got serious (couldn't believe it at first- had to go to another machine to get a 'second opinion').

Over all, on track to exactly where I want to get to

(though only did a 5km walk last night, and doesnt look like I'll be doing any at all tonight - currently burning up, lethargic, sneezing like a mother ****** and generally feeling like utter shite, all thanks to my filthy, disease-carrying high-school students whom I teach [I joke, of course - love them to bits]).
Old 02-26-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nymets86 View Post
Day 7 is here. Didn't go to the gym super early, but am planning to go as soon as I get back from this work dinner tonight. Rather than say that I can't drink at the work event since I have to go to the gym/do work for grad school, Esspee, I'll try the "just no" tactic tonight as that's something that will work forever and I won't have to strain for excuses all the time.
Hey nymets86 I had a work dinner a week ago or 2.. Can't remember. Anyway, I told everyone beforehand that I wasn't drinking because I couldn't. If anyone pushed me on the issue I pretty much told them the truth - That I used to and it is bad for me. (Also taking antabuse so i'd probably wind up in hospital or very ill).

But whatever works for you I guess. FYI - No one really gave a hoot and they were all drinking.

Ninja Edit Day 29
Old 02-26-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Really struggling at the moment need to try and keep my mind of drink and drugs
sitting here all snuggled up with a mug of strong coffee
going to an aa meeting at 6.30pm just have to keep myself busy until then
i hope everyone is doing ok xxx
Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning all. DA, stay strong. NY Mets, I agree with Dee, let it go. Don't drink over it!

Happy Thursday.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dark Asylum View Post
Really struggling at the moment need to try and keep my mind of drink and drugs
sitting here all snuggled up with a mug of strong coffee
going to an aa meeting at 6.30pm just have to keep myself busy until then
i hope everyone is doing ok xxx
Stay strong, man - try instead on focusing on how healthy, how clear-headed you are right now - focus on what you want to achieve & hold onto, not what you want to avoid.

Its the best way. If I was to grab you by the shoulders, stare bug-eyed into your eyes and scream at you "listen very, very carefully, the entire fate of the universe hangs in the balance . . . do not . . . I repeat DO NOT . . . think about a pink fluffy bunny rabbit", then chances are you'd think about nothing BUT pink fluffy rabbits!

In the same way, if you're telling yourself "I must not drink", then guess what you'll be thinking about? The key's in the last word of the sentence - "drink".
Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Love it AGAGONNHOJ and congratulations on your progress!!
Today is my two week sober date and it feels great. I struggled yesterday and told myself I wasn't going back to Day 1, again, had to make it to my two week mark. It wasn't a super stressful day, just typical annoyances with kids school conferences on top of it. I'm ready for the weather to break a bit. The cold is just neverending right now, but at least we are in the double digits. I'll be at the gym this evening and that helps a ton. And the weather be damned, I'm running this weekend.
Hope everyone is doing well and Happy Thursday!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Beginning of Day 8 here. Couldn't fall asleep until 2AM and then starting around 5AM, I started just getting really anxious. No weird dreams or anything, just feeling really anxious about work, grad school, lack of a relationship, and the damage I've done with my drinking. As someone who never drank every day, I'm not dealing with any withdrawal issues, but I think it's the anxiety messing with my sleep. Again, I'd rather this feeling than the mortifying feeling of waking up hungover not knowing what I'd done.

Anyway, got some rest up through 7:30AM and now getting ready for work. I'm not going to drink today. Don't feel any desire too. I might keep posting here during the day since I do have the work dinner tonight where there will be boozer.

DD, I'm glad that you go through the dinner and just came clean. I don't think that'll work for me as I'd be far too nervous to volunteer that and think I could just as easily dodge drinking with the short "no thanks" responses.

Best of luck DarkAsylum, stay strong.

Congrats AGA on vastly reducing your consumption and getting things in control. And that weight loss must feel awesome!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Starting Day 3

Hello - I guess I am allowed to join this group as it's still Feb. I am just starting my day 3 and I laying in my bed with my cup of coffee reading SR and preparing myself for the day. I feel good - no fuzzy head, no dry mouth, no shakes.

I have plans today. Exercise, walk the dogs, grocery shop, make some good meals, hang with my sweet old dog (who is on her last moments). Try to practice some guitar and try get start a new art project.

I find evenings the hardest. I'm new in town and don't know anyone so I isolate in my house and wonder what to do with myself. Drinking, always was my "friend" in boredom. Some friend, eh...

So - I will keep reading SR for help and guidance.

Hugs all around.
Calicofish
Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I'd like to get in on the February 2015 class if I could. I know there's only a couple of days left but can I still join? Or should I wait for the March one.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Feb club ClearMind.

Calicofish, bored evenings are the hardest for me too. I don't have too much advise to give as I'm only on Day 8, and two of the nights I had classes (which hasn't stopped me from drinking afterwards, but still a nice diversion). Anyway, what's worked for me is just picking out movies I'd been wanting to watch and putting them on Netflix or ordering them OnDemand....ordering on demand is a lot cheaper than a night of booze! I've tried reading books, but my anxiety is making it hard to concentrate, so just sticking with movies and sports on TV when I'm bored.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good to see you here this morning, nymets86. I, too, had trouble sleeping last night due to anxiety over my life's circumstances but I'm focused on being mindful and countering each negative thought with a positive to get me through the day.

I used to black out a lot a few years ago, especially when I first discovered SR. It was the blackouts that prompted me to do the initial internet search to see if I was an alcoholic or not. I used to wake up wondering what I'd done or said in front of my four children and my husband. Rather than ask them, I always decided to just wait things out and get back on the wagon... keep trying. I've come a long, long way but have so far to go.

Anyway, I really hope you have a good day and find some peace knowing that you have the support you need here on these boards.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
I'd like to get in on the February 2015 class if I could. I know there's only a couple of days left but can I still join? Or should I wait for the March one.
Join us, join us! I was going to wait until March 9th, the day I get back from a mini-vacation but pulled the trigger and started on Feb 22.

I'm so glad I did... In fact, I felt relieved in a way.

It helps (me, at least) to commit to just 24 hours first thing every morning on the 24-Hour Recovery Connections in the Newcomer's Daily Support threads and to read as much as I can elsewhere on the boards to keep myself focused.

Welcome, whatever you decide to do!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I'm just on day 4, Calico, and evenings are the hardest for me, too, for a lot of reasons. I am trying to keep in mind how wonderful it is to keep waking up without even the hint of a hangover.

Your day sounds divine. Enjoy hanging with your senior pup! Our 8 year old golden girl is at my feet as I type. Our sweet old boy Reilly (golden, too) passed at the age of 12 in June, and I hope we have at least 4 more with Lucy. She really missed him, too. We hope to get a male pup to keep her company within the year.

What kind of art are you into? I'm just getting back into taking classes and am just learning to loosen up and "play."
Old 02-26-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrisBen View Post
Love it AGAGONNHOJ and congratulations on your progress!!
Today is my two week sober date and it feels great. I struggled yesterday and told myself I wasn't going back to Day 1, again, had to make it to my two week mark. It wasn't a super stressful day, just typical annoyances with kids school conferences on top of it. I'm ready for the weather to break a bit. The cold is just neverending right now, but at least we are in the double digits. I'll be at the gym this evening and that helps a ton. And the weather be damned, I'm running this weekend.
Hope everyone is doing well and Happy Thursday!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Hello friends!

I haven't been on the forum much lately. It's been crazy at work (not a bad crazy just lots of projects) & my home life is just barely mediocre. Since I quit drinking, I have made some posts about how lonely it is to have an alcoholic husband. Well, I am now starting to think that it may be time to pull the plug on the marriage. Haven't figured out how or when to have this discussion with my husband, but I am seeing a counselor for help & clarity.

I still check the forum & read posts, but just haven't posted much myself. I feel pretty good amidst all this internal conflict. I don't have a desire to drink & I feel more in control of my life. I feel like I can handle things much better now without the alcohol....so that's good to me!