One Year and Over Club Part 20

Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

You, too, Zip!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sorry to hear that some of you are having a rough time. Sending cyber-hugs to all.

I'll be driving 6 hours early tomorrow morning to spend Turkey day with the family. Got some pretty good news on my dad...he had a brain scan that came back cancer-free. He still has to deal with the stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to other organs. Without chemo he has 4-6 months and with chemo he may have up to a full year. He'll start chemo in about 2 weeks, so we're hoping for the best. I plan to spend the next few days with him.

Wishing all the overs a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

FBL - best wishes for your dad

I tried to say the D thing less than 10 times and gave up

Is it wrong that I am lazing in front of the TV (some Australian murder mystery!) instead of doing housework?!?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feeling-good View Post
Is it wrong that I am lazing in front of the TV (some Australian murder mystery!) instead of doing housework?!?
Yes. It's absolutely OK.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi Overs,

Just popping in to wish all were it applies a Happy Thanksgiving. I will not be seeing my girls this year as they will be with their mother. Off to an Aunts house with about 10 or so from family about an hour away. I am making a sweet potato casserole...never did before, but, it doesn't seem all that hard. Then, headed back to my home area for an AA TG dinner. Should be a fun day.

Stevie, good to see you.

Itch Man, while I haven't posted here in a while, I have been following your plight. I hope the super-charged anti's do the trick and this is put in the rear-view soon.

Carlos
Old 11-26-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving Americaners.

Sweet potato casserole, yummmm. I think maybe I'll make that tomorrow.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone, I have these highs and lows. I pulled my bootstraps up this morning and felt a lot better. I put way too high expectations on myself. Truth is I'm rocking it, so there. The radio station was fun today, learning about the program and listening to music. I'm going to get to produce an hour long show! In the new year. I've been writing nonstop, for the essay writing gig which is quite tough! I've decided to drop my blogs for the time being, (I have three, plus my portfolio) and also deactivated my facebook. I just really need to simplify things I think. Too much stuff in my brain means I can't focus on anything. And I spend way too much time on the computer as it is.
Also I need to stop eating so much sugar and crap. I know that's not helping, at all.

Well I am off to sleep. Have a lovely Thanksgiving everyone, enjoy the nice relaxing holiday vibes. (Except if you have a crazy family like me.)

FBL, thinking of you and your dad. Create some nice memories.
FG- I love murder mysteries! I was addicted to Murdoch Mysteries, it was on Netflix, but German NF sucks so I don't have it anymore. Seriously German NF is so bad. (Probably a good thing.)
Old 11-26-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

That's so exciting about producing the hour-long show! You're smart to streamline your activities a bit--you've got so much going on, you've got to have some kind of superpowers!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Well my TV viewing extended to watching (and actually following lol) a film this evening - it has felt like a complete 'night off' somehow! Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans tomorrow
Old 11-26-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hugs for all those dealing with 'stuff'.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it

D
Old 11-26-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi happy turkey day for all celebrating.
I'm doing much better.
I will keep fighting this disease that for 36 years almost destroy me.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello overs
Old 11-26-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey all!
Thanks Carlos,
I am putting off any fear or anger over the ear issue. I am very angry that he waited so long to treat the inner ear infection. I have had zero hearing from my right ear for almost a month now. Mostly I am just rehearsing my testimony for the imaginary malpractice trial. Then get mad at myself for giving in to the anger because I don't want or need any money in place of my hearing. This is terrible! I can't hear stereo, only the one side on what is my bad ear when I could hear with my good ear. I had no idea how bad my left ear was until I had to depend on only it for all my audio input. Everything sounds distorted and static filled. I really would like to already feel like an idiot for worrying. Drinking isn't an issue. I really am sober for life. Not even a thought. In fact I just tried on the thought for "spits and grins" and it is just insane to me to even consider adding a hangover to an already bad situation!

No, I am less likely to even think of a drink today. That's like cutting off my hands because someone wants to fight me. That'll deal with him . . . NOT.

I have too many irons in the fire even retired to be able to just check out on being stupid.

But I have to be smart to call another stupid right?

I am at a point in my sobriety where I have learned enough to see how stupid I was to incapacitate my self precisely because an issue required a lot of physical, emotional, and intellectual investment, which alcohol made impossible!

A smart person would avoid any kind of incapacitation because we need all we can bring to bear to solve, avoid, or walk away from a thorny problem.

So let's listen to John Cleese, because we are smarter than our drunk selves any day of the week, and twice on Sunday's. Click here and enjoy Cleese for just 58 seconds shall we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU
Old 11-26-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Oh thank you Itchy one!!!
Gosh I love John Cleese...big big smile from me.

Just really hoping these mega-antibiotics work.

V xx
Old 11-26-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Itch, is it just me, or was he wearing blue eye shadow?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Didn't look blue to me Gilmer...just looked like pancake make-up. (if that's what they call they stuff the use on actors).
Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IP,
Hey watch yourself on that roller coaster ride you're on. You are supposed to enjoy the rush down as much as the view from the top. You are mood swinging faster than my stock, and it is volatile!

I sure miss Germany and I had seven years there. I missed some things from the states when I was there, but having been raised expecting to go to at least three schools in any four year period as a kid, and then moving all over the world for my career, there is no homesickness. While I crave a good Brotchen and hard breads, today I am glad I am here because I can't chew very well for the pain in my jaw hinge and ear. We'll see.

My MIL with Cancer just got out of the hospital again for a pleural effusion and pneumonia. She went into a day of A. Fib and her pulse was 150-170 for a day. She had a week there and now came home yesterday. We are cooking here and bringing there, as they are just across town.

FBL,
I'm glad you have some time you didn't expect with your Dad. Be thankful, Drive safe!

Erfra,
you took the first big step in dealing with your traumatic stress. You got sober which allows you to think and feel. Looks like you are swinging back at it. Good for you. getting what we want and expect doesn't get us better. Getting better, however, allows us to have a shot at what we want.

V you are a sweetie and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Congrats on staying sober.

Toots, Drake, Wolf and FG, glad for all on the upswing, and here for anyone that needs to cash their reality check.

Dee, bud, you do make a difference. Sometimes we don't tell you that enough, forgetting that you aren't but a hard working volunteer who went through more than most, and less than those who are gone.

Don't take yourself for granted folks for we won't be here for ourselves on this plane forever either, never mind anyone else. Enjoy it as much as you can today, and checking out drunk isn't enjoying a dang thing! I can't believe I wasted a full two year chunk of my life, and a decade of half wasted life.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Being unable to edit the the's and they's of my last post made me realise how truly tired I am right now...in all honesty, I am pretty amazed at how far I have come in this past month. I think I have done more for myself recovery-wise than I did in the whole time I was sober before.

So now I must look after myself.

Hoping you all have a happy and safe thanksgiving,

V xx ♥

To LSC and Dee, hope you have a great Thursday!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words Itch

Go relax V
D
Old 11-26-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs and happy thanksgiving.

I've just been shopping on Internet for Christmas gifts. Chocolate and alcohol. Just shows what christmas is about nowadays.

For all of us, a poem I got myself years ago on a small card and put in my purse. I gave it a man at work a few years ago, he was a drug addict and has since left employment. I said to pass the card on when he didn't need it anymore . Here goes. I'm sure you've heard it many a time.

Don't You Quit

An Inspirational Poem

[God's Star Factory]
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,

When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,

As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than

It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
Whe he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out -

The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It might be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Be well, my friends
Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Magsie

P.s. The alcohol isn't for me.x