Class Of December 2013 - Part 6

Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy playing LB

D
Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

All the technical instrument talk is greek to me. Good to see three like-minded people exchanging experience, though. Making of music is still a mystery to me, like magic. Love to listen, tho. Got the Mindful path to addiction recovery in my mailbox today. Nice, shiny new book. Smells good. A bit daunted to get into it, but always welcome new reading. I will split my limited daily reading time between Peltz and Bryson. Darkening days as we head into the solstice. But fun. Love the wheel of the seasons.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
waking down

Peltz is a good choice. Gotta do the homework, though. Not a book to race through. Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I've heard of that new car smell, never heard of that new book smell. Sounds like some good reading JR. Don't let that winter solstice feeling come over you. Find a sun lamp if you need to. I understand they actually work.

Well my Alvarez is an '85, model 8500017 - list was over six, got it out of the store for just over 4 if I recall - maybe 450 sounds more like because that number sticks in my head.
Trying to find a mando teacher around here is rough. Looks like Mike Marshall online...
But didn't check the price yet. Only one experienced mando guy within 40 miles.
Going to hook up with a local music club, full circle, does acoustic jams. A good way to meet people and explore what's out there.

I'm starting to feel like doing something again. It's almost a year. I still get that urge now and again but it passes quickly. Mainly it is associated with familiar things. Putting up a christmas tree without sharing a beer or glass of wine with the wife. Tree still not up yet, but getting closer ...
Old 12-09-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hooking up with the local music club sounds good, LB. Also good that as you get close to the year, you're feeling strong and that the odd urge quickly passes. The habit is so embedded in our rituals, our routines. Christmas being one of the big ones. The beat goes on. Keep it up, LB. No worries about me and the winter solstice. I kind of like hunkering down by the fire as the cold and dark encroach. With a good smelly book. You don't get that fine promising aroma of printer's ink and fresh new paper from an e-book!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

thanks JR and all. Mrs took her final exam on Monday - a lot of stress. She done good. Half the class was on the border line of failing the course. She had a lot of room on the final - got an 86. She is concerned about why they make it so difficult. They have lost almost half the students since the program began. A few colleges around here had to drop their nursing program because kids would come out with a degree in nursing but couldn't pass the nursing exam - a separate thing. So this school filters them out as they go. They keep their accreditation up there. got off on tangent...
Heading into Philly today to USCIS for final interview/written test. After final she studied for it a whole day. I don't think I would have passed this test.

Feeling better lately and starting to get some drive back. Mando should come by Friday. Then I will have a task to accomplish. Lots of resources out there. I was going over the fret board instead of counting sheep last night. A new hobby!

JR - yeah I have to have pages in my hand to read too. Can't do a book from a screen.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I know nothing about musical instruments. I mean nix! Nada!

But I do know some about cancer. I've had 3 operations to remove pre-stadium of cervical cancer and 2 operations to remove some bad tissue in my breasts. The numbers certainly seem real bad, but sadly I have the worst type of HPV and the one I've got, ist rapid one, so I need to be checked every 6 months.
But you know, been there, done that. I've known about this for the past 7 years, it has a little to do with my drinking. Well, not drinking, but why I got really fragile for a time and that led me to drink to take off the edge.

Mandolins.. are with 3 strings and guitars are with 5?

At work it is difficult. Just the time of the year. All vendors are sending gifts and people in the office are just drinking all the bottles the receive.
Today I received a "special pregnancy package" For this I am actually really grateful, because not only me, but many other can have some of it. Non-alcoholic beer, wine, cider. It was a large pakacge, enough 8 people, so thanks for the sender!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I love the new book smell too but I read more than I have in years now that I have a Kindle. Being able to make the font larger and having it small enough to slip into my bag is so convenient.

Muhv - they are doing the alcohol gift thing at my work, too. Urgh. I have plans to escape from three upcoming boozy lunches/afternoons. I just want to be at home with my cat.

I also decided to go on a holiday. I haven't been away for more than 3-4 days since 2006 so I have booked flights to New York for two weeks in March. Yippee! I guess it might still be snowing then. I don't know. I don't mind. It will be an experience. I'm staying with several different sets of friends. I feel immensely cheered up with such a thing to look forward to, but I already miss my cat who will stay in a cat hotel while I'm gone.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
waking down

I hope you're all staying healthy and safe. I had my first "relapse" dream in a long time. Drank almost half a beer like I had forgotten I don't drink. Then I got up and walked away from it.

I tried to trade my guitar for a bass, but they wouldn't offer me enough for my guitar so I'm gonna list it online. Then I found an octave mandolin/bouzouki (depending on how you tune it). It's a converted 50's Harmony guitar. Coolest thing on earth and completely unique - and not really expensive - about what I should be able to get for my Gibson. Pretty excited. New chords to learn...

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

good to see you muhv, I got an email from my brother requesting NO WINE for xmas. He is taking a pain med that is a lot of tylenol stuff. Alrighty then...
It's good you have work friends that care for you. Obviously they don't know that you must use the "pregnancy" gift all the time eh?

TL -getting away for a couple weeks - 16 hour flight? I hope your hosts understand beforehand that you don't (can't) drink.

zero- getting an octave - cool, explore new sounds. I've discovered there a LOTS of things for sale over the net. But it's risky. My mando should be arriving within the next few hours. I need to get a hygrometer pdq. Hopefully I don't have to get my humidifier going. House is kept on the cool side but it dries out in winter. I need a new nut and truss adjustment on my Alvarez - then hopefully I can move it quickly. New nut is a hundy. This guy is certified by martin, sells and works mostly martins and taylors with some gibsons. I wish I had stayed with music years ago. What a waste I was.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Muhv: sorry to hear about your ongoing cancer scares. It is a worry, and it's good that you seem to shrug it off, though acknowledge that it's a factor in your life. Good to hear that you're still healthy, strong and glad to be out of alcohol.
Wonder what the beer dream means, Zero? Is this a common thing, a 'relapse dream"?
I had a smoking relapse dream many years ago. Took a long deep drag on something really toxic like a camel or gauloise, enjoyed it, then caught myself in the lucid dimension, saying more or less WTF!!!? We are complicated beings, for sure. It ain't simple.
Tiger: 2 weeks in New York? Now: that's a holiday! Enjoy.
Another week, and I can allow myself to recognize that it's kind of the Christmas season. I like to ignore it as long as possible. Get the tree Christmas eve. Love the lights and family. All the best.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
waking down

My favorite place in NYC is the Museum of Modern Art, but I'm a weirdo.

My beer dream was much like your cig dream, JR. I enjoyed it, thought WTF, then put it down.

Cancer is scary ****. I had a biopsy today myself. My grandmother had horrible skin cancer, so it's a concern for me. I remember as a kid putting pressure on her cancer wounds and thinking she would bleed to death. I was maybe 9. We were alone in the house, and she just calmly told me to get more towels and keep applying pressure... Not something one ever forgets. I kept her alive that day, but she passed soon after. The lung cancer is what got her, though.

I'm listening to a recording of a recent performance at a local bar with my sidekick. A lot rougher than I remember it. We're basically old psychedelic rockers playing folk music, so go figure... Have fun with that mando, LB.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the results are good Zero - & have fun with that Harmony mandobouzouki

D
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

You're remembering some pretty powerful stuff, Zero. In detail. Mindfulness is pulling up memory? Or permission to observe and acknowledge?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

some heavy stuff...

I put up the tree tonight. Tomorrow it will be a debate on ornaments. I put on lites and 'that' angel as requested. I opened my storage bin and found a ton of lites. I got the crazy idea to put some up outside... crazy I tell you.

I was really mad earlier. The guy put my mando next to the jeep i the driveway by the garage. WTF? Couldn't go up 5 feet of steps and put it by the door and ring the doorbell. I discovered it five hours later by chance. Feezing cold, it snowed after that.
I'm gonna let it perk till tomorrow afternoon before I unpack it from the shipping box.
Today I was thinking of all the things to sell. Golf clubs crossed my mind. wow
Plan is to unload stuff so this mando is a push. Even though she is paying for it -

Funny thing is she thinks that's it. no-no, it's just the beginning, books, CDs, strap, strings...etc. picks ain't cheap anymore either... been too long
Old 12-12-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

LBrain - I'll be spending a lot of time with a friend who happens to have over 20 years sobriety in AA. Anther friend doesn't drink at all. It's not going to be an issue, I think. I'm looking forward to checking out some AA meetings in NYC.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Zero - I've spent some time at MOMA but I'm really looking forward back to spending a few days in the Guggenheim. Their gemstone and mineral collection is breathtaking.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
waking down

LB, if you want to hear some jawdropping mandolin, check out Chris Thile or Sam Bush. Amazing.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

have fun in NYC TL - still a ways off but sounds like you already got it covered. If you want to try some street food, at the corner of the Gug - around the corner - there are two carts. Choose the guy to the right. His stuff is better. Stay away from the stuffed pretzels tho... Hopefully it is spring and still not winter. There will probably still be snow in central park somewhere so hopefully you get a chance to make a snowball.

Yeah JR, I'm familiar with these folks. I have to also dig through my boxes of CDs and find the DAWG albums. Always been a fan of DG.
I picked up my house humidity meters. Hopefully it's not too bad in here.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
waking down

If you like Dawg you'll like Jacob do Bandolim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zmyeLgEG8

Grisman plays some of his tunes and re-released some of his recordings. Choro de Brazil!!!