Notices

Class of June 2014 Part 2

Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

I need to go...plus my wife is having a baby so I'll be good. We are just going for food then leaving.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I didn't notice much AV activity compared to Wednesday, and not much today either.

"Great, kid. Don't get cocky." I remember that it still might pop up unexpectedly.

Yesterday after work I bought some seltzer water (following some examples above). I used to prefer that to other sodas one summer as a teenager long ago when I was working at a deli. I might look for some fruit concentrate to mix with it next payday.

The last couple of years I have been trying to avoid HFCS and I'm not too sure about aspartame either. Funny that I didn't try as hard to avoid you-know-what.

Anyway, for me it's about two weeks sober now. Looking forward to another sober weekend!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If you can’t change those events or outside influences that are stressful, you are left with changing the inside. You change attitude, or you work on your physical reaction to stress. The latter is easier for some than the first. So here are some steps for reducing stress:
Thanks for the tips, Carl. It is always good to hear your experience. I have also found Dale Carnegie's book How to Stop Worrying and Start Living to be an excellent source for learning how to deal with stress.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Need to make my plan for this weekend - it helps me if I have early morning things going on that I know will be 1000 times more enjoyable without a hangover.
Sounds like a good idea! Tomorrow there's nothing that I *have* to do, early or late, so I should come up with some kind of schedule, even if it's hobbies and exercise.

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I have also found Dale Carnegie's book How to Stop Worrying and Start Living to be an excellent source for learning how to deal with stress.
I think I will look for that as well!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

So here I am, Day 1, just a post to join in with June and one I can look back to.

I hope not to disappoint like I did with the May group.

June 20th 2014!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day 4 today. I was very restless last night. It's nice to not be hungover today as I normally would be in my one day on two days off pattern. Hope all is well. Don't drink today/ tonight.... Ok?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Alright, I take back my previous post. Struggling today. I actually doubt I'll be getting through it sober. Battling addiction to alcohol AND benzos, while dealing with bipolar disorder and social anxiety disorder while living in a foreign country is not easy. I feel like I want to be unconscious for awhile.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Welcome to the class Stiv!!

Anyone worried about the weekend, there is extra support to be found on the Weekender Thread, everyone is welcome:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-join-us.html
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

anewpage, I can't speak to benzos, bipolar disorder, or social anxiety, but I have lived overseas for long periods of time. I am not sure where you are, but I eventually learned it was better to shell out for a deluxe spa treatment rather than get loaded again. There is nothing quite like being pampered for a few hours to put a fresh shine on the world. Even if a little expensive, it will be world's cheaper than the pain of another hangover. You can do this!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by anewpage View Post
Battling addiction to alcohol AND benzos, while dealing with bipolar disorder and social anxiety disorder while living in a foreign country is not easy.
Recovery is difficult, regardless of what a person is dealing with. Don't turn your problems into a disclaimer for a relapse, because you already know that your default method for dealing with your problems is what brought you here.

Early recovery has it's ups and down. Often extreme ups and downs. Wait it out. An uptick is bound to occur.

Stay strong.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi folks, I joined the group early on but soon wavered; I'm back on the wagon from today.

Happy solstice. Sean
Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

anewpage - Change the situation. Rent a new movie tonight, go for a hike, take a bubble bath, go for a pedicure - just something to bring yourself out of your rut. Tell that AV to SHUT UP.

I personally will be watching Shadow Recruit with hubby tonight. I branched out from my cans of Dasani sparkling water, to Poland cranberry/lime flavored sparkling water. And also have my smooth coconut water flavored with pineapple. I had a fabulous time with my parents and my two kiddos at a spray park this morning/afternoon. Do I hear AV whispering - yes I do. I know you can go from happy, Hallmark moments, to the feeling that the world is closing in on you and you want/need/DESERVE that bottle of wine to relax or escape - ESPECIALLY since it's FRIDAY.

SHUT IT, AV!

Anew - pick something to do. And keep posting here. Tomorrow you'll wake up to day 8 and you will have a full week under your belt.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

OK, here are my early morning weekend plans to keep me motivated. Eyes on the prize:

Saturday morning - taking kids to a Toddler dance party at the library.
Sunday morning - taking my son out to breakfast with hubby while my daughter is at a sleepover with her Grandpa.

I will also be seeing a movie this weekend with my mom/sisters - Fault in our Stars.

Going to make it a good one. Anyone else want to share?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

The stress and hassle at my job this month has been at record levels with a huge amount of fighting and very close to physical blows with other staff, but yesterday was the last day of the main work period.

I couldn't believe my blinking eyes this morning when the traffic lights and pedestrian lights were appearing green together, due to some idiot with the control box open trying to alter the timings to favour the traffic even more. It went on for 30 minutes at two locations while I went for my camera and there was every chance someone was hit.

I'm working at a university with thousands of students under our duty of care. I emailed and went to see my rather weak managers asking them at least to make phone calls to find out who was responsible and take action to ensure it wouldn't happen again. My boss winced as usual and said she was busy and there was nothing she could do. I got pretty damn angry with her.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I can't believe it but I'm on day 18 now and feeling good! Plans for weekend are take boys to swim lessons, take them to outdoor pool afterward , spend time with husband. Wanting to try a new church on Sunday. I'm feeling very connected to my higher power but not re really crazy about formalized religion. I am taking boys to vacation bible school next week because I think it's important for them to pray, learn about god/Jesus. However I have a strong belief in reincarnation and my hp being energy/light/love that is my guiding force. Anyone find any group/church in that realm?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi Hereandnow2, I was brought up as Catholic but today my views are much wider- I'm a practicing Hindu, meaning I accept any number of paths to spiritual fulfilment and that there's only one God but with many names. I still pray whenever I visit a church. Best, Sean
Old 06-20-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Sean, I was also raised catholic. I believe Hindu is very close to my beliefs. I struggle with where to lead my children, they were baptized Lutheran, they have children's bibles they read ect but my views are different. Husband was raised Mormon! I may look for a meditation group and have them attend bible school, Sunday services as I can.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Sure thing, all that sounds very positive. Hinduism is a broad range of philosophies and almost entirely lacks moral prescriptions; its ideas aren't organized as a system and so it's sometimes not seen as a religion as the Abrahamic religions are.

There's little I disagree with in Christianity and exposure to it would be good for your children. I guess the main thing I'd caution against is its exclusive claim to truth, saying that it's right and everything and everyone else is wrong.

In life truth is truth, yes, but it's not just couched in Christian terms...

No big fights on the thread though!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Checking in today, had a wee bit a problem with popups taken care of now. I hope.

My weekend plans, not concrete but it is a start.
I stocked house with Diet ginger ale, I have diet crystal light, so good there.
I bought some snacks to go with air popped popcorn.
I have planned tonights, Sat and Sun nite dinners ( I am the main cook so planning meals ahead less stress)
I have to work for a bit tomorrow so that is acutally good.
I plan to go for walks on both days and try to get my EASports active workouts in. And maybe my short bike rides to a nearby park.
Will check in with SR, I downloaded the app, still need to figure out how to post.
Lots of prayer for sure!

Working on my first sober weekend, wish me luck.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Sean, I struggle with the confession for a 7 year old and some of the very guilt provoking teachings. I am going to try and avoid too much of that. Of course they go to public school and I went through 8 years of Catholic school which had church everyday so it won't be like that regardless. Are there any books you like in terms of Hindu/spirituality that you like? I really liked many masters many lives, journey if souls.