Notices

Class of May 2014 Part 4

Old 06-15-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anewpage View Post
"Getting old" ? Well, my alcoholism is kind of "getting old" for me, too. I'm in A.A. and I have a sponsor who I call most days. I'm also reading a lot of alcoholism literature. My doctor knows about my problems and I'm on meds. I cannot go inpatient because I'm a stay at home mother of 3 small children. If it's getting old, perhaps I should join the class of June where people aren't so experienced with being sober.
you are missing the point as u did in one of my past responses to you. You have posted several times on how you've picked up again, you have beat yourself up over it and apologize to the group. This is a tough nut to crack and everyone here can see you suffering with this. I was throwing out a bit of tough love that's all anew. Bottom line is the only person you have to apologize to is yourself not the group. I was just offering up a set of suggestions. If logistics are preventing you from getting better perhaps you should talk to family about minding the kids so you could possibly at least consider a few days of detox. Everyone give suggestions here and that's great we are all in this in our own way and together as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Anew, u are welcome here, and u know that. I think we all are too new to sobriety to pass any judgements, that is not what SR is about, at least not what I have experienced, and we are all just one tempting day, one lousy situation away if we do not seek support and help and while some here have many days, many do not, but we are all in the infancy stage and so we should be encouraging and hopeful for others. I am sorry it is a struggle for you, some days it is for all of us. Your resolve needs to be that you don't pick up and even an inkling u need to be here, at a meeting or calling your sponsor. Don't let yourself drink...be stronger than the bad wolf! Don't leave here u are a part of this group for a reason and we care honestly.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

@anew. Please don't take my words as passing judgement. It just hurts me to see other people struggle and hurt. That's my nature. Like I said just thought if throw out some tough love. If it was taken the wrong way I'm sorry.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a support thread guys.

It's for us to share our support understanding and experience to help others in a constructive way.

Sometimes we can grow close to others in this these threads, and sometimes we may take others relapses personally.
That's understandable. I've done it myself before.

Eventually I learned to look at my posts - if it's more about how I feel, or more about making me feel better - it's good to leave it for 30 mins or so before I hit post?

we're all on the same side guys - our thread should reflect that.
D
Old 06-15-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope I didn't kill the thread....

Hows everyone doing?

D
Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I hope the room is still alive, cause I for sure need it. Feeling a little sad but I am thankful to have made it through this weekend! Went to a meeting tonight cause I was filled with anxiety. God is good and knew I needed a pick me up, I got my 1 month coin, and it gave me resolve to keep going. Always a nice to have someone recognize that I am truly trying to do this thing! Hope Big C and Anew are still here, I call this little blurb a family misunderstanding that happens when people care about people. ♥������
Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't serious about being a thread killer

D
Old 06-15-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I wasn't serious about being a thread killer

D
Oh dear...here's to hope nots!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Dee your words of wisdom could not kill a fly
Old 06-15-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Finishing up day 35 now. To be honest I'm really starting to wonder how I ever had the time to drink. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all my responsibilities right now. I think before I would just forget about them easier when drinking. I am being a lot more productive now but starting to realize maybe I over commit myself. The temptation to drink has popped up off an on over the weekend but things are going well and I haven't felt like there's been any chance for relapse. I know things will be a lot more tempting around vacation time next month.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

It sounds like a test of a weekend for many. Be proud of yourselves for making it through.

I had a graduation to go to and party afterwards. I was offered alcohol twice over the course of the weekend but pretty easily turned it down. I must be honest in that I felt regret afterwards yet I stayed with water.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

It's 2am on day 48, it's very strange to not have my ex in bed snoring up a storm lol. Suddenly not having him here is a huge change. But I have so much support and I'm not even thinking about drugs or drinking.

I haven't slept in over 60 hours due to a combo of insomnia, being slightly manic and dealing with my ex's drama all night yesterday. My body is beat, my eyelids are heavy, just have to convince my brain to finally take a break and let me get some rest. I need to be mindful of HALT because right now I am def hungry, lonely and tired.

Hope everyone has a good Monday!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that Wishes, it always inspires and encourages me when I hear stories of people fighting thru cravings and resisting temptations. Glad you made it through the situation sober!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Day 32 today. Morning everyone. Have a great day!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

This is interesting isn't it? We are back to pondering what "support" means especially in a situation like this. In AA they say "Just keep coming back". I think they mean that even if you drink, as long as you seriously want to stop you just keep going, listening, talking until the penny drops and you can make it yourself.

I just want to be part of the place we can all come back to, no matter what.

image.jpg

We can choose to have the problem or we can choose to be part of the solution.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Guys, I think I'm going to move to the June thread. I will miss you all, but I feel that most of you are now in a different place with your sobriety than I am. That is wonderful, and just shows how much this site works Most here are now about a month sober, whereas I'm still at the stage of stringing together a week here, two weeks there - I think I need to be in a class where sobriety is still completely new and raw, as it's quite a different experience (as you'll remember). I drank alcohol last night. I shared a bottle of wine with my husband and had two beers. It wasn't a dramatic thing, it was okay in itself and I didn't misbehave, but I'm back on the wagon because I need to and want to be longterm sober for my health and my little family. I'm just not at the point where I'd be easily turning down drinks, or wondering when I had the time to drink, or seeing myself as being attached to my new sober life, etc. Don't get me wrong, that is *fantastic* for you guys and I'm really proud of and pleased for you. But I'm not there yet, and as such I'm finding this thread a little hard to relate to at the moment; it feels like we're at such different stages of the struggle. I hope you understand. (And Wishes, I hope we can continue our PMs regardless )

Take care everybody, you're doing fabulously well.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think joining the June thread could be good for you, but many people post in two threads Snow...don't feel you need to pick or choose

I'd hate anyone to feel they didn't 'belong' tho.

Every thread - every single monthly thread going back to 2008 when they started - has had a cross section of members... some with more sobers days, some with less...

we all help each other
D
Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

after my late AA meeting on saturday i still went home and drank which led to drinking all sunday.
i feel frustrated. and dont know what i could have done from the walk home.
i tried calling my friends but they didn't pick up and some were at a pub.
sigh
but friday night i was ok and i had been sober a week.
worried again that alcohol has ruined my career and this is just an example of all the wasted days I've had.
not sure i like Mondays.
im scared to go into public with this mind.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. It's not that I don't feel I 'belong' - this is a lovely welcoming group! - it's more about what I need at this precise moment in my recovery, if you know what I mean. I'm glad I can keep posting here though

So sorry yestofreedom. I'm on Day 1 again too. The important thing is you're back. No-one can erase all the sober days you've been stringing together - they are progress, they show determination, they prove that you have the desire to quit. Don't beat yourself up. Why do you think the AA meeting didn't put you off drinking that evening - was it just that you felt the urge was too strong, or was there a lack of connection with the meeting itself?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's fair enough Snow

I'm sorry too Yestofreedom.
Can you think of what else you can add to your programme to help you stay sober?

D