Notices

Class Of March 2014 Part 2

Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Starting Anew

Hi all I just crawled over the week mark and feel like I am ready for some self care. I am going to meditate in the mornings starting tomorrow. It is one of those things that has always been great for me like going to the gym. However, when drinking I never seem to do it. My mind is so jumbled up and my nerves need some down time without the help of the bottle.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Good morning everyone!

Today is day 11 for me. This has to be the longest I've been sober in one stretch in probably years. I feel pretty good. It's nice not to have a giant headache, feel all bloated, have the sweats and shakes. I especially appreciate not having to piece together what happened last night. Who did I **** off last night?

Shoshie, absolutely feel like I've been had! It promised to make me feel better and take my problems away. Little did I know how much worse things would be.

Biminiblue, my doctor basically had told me the same thing. I had told her I was nervous about going and some issues I thought I would have with going. When I told her about this place, she told me it was a great idea, I needed support. I know I need to get over myself. If it hasn't been evident by my posts about going to the doctor, I'm one of those people who get really amped up about something, worrying, only to find whatever I was avoiding, I was glad I did it.

Sparkos, great job on getting that voice to shut up!

Here's to a great day!!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

All,

I went to an AA meeting yesterday, and one of the old timers handed me a little slip entitled "just for today." It has 10 "affirmations" on it for daily inspiration. I thought I'd share one today. If it is helpful, I can do one tomorrow too.

"Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by RichPoor View Post
Hello Alabama man here... I have been struggling since trying sobriety I have lost a lot of friends . I guess is turn me into a b******* I used to be a pretty good drunk I was really good at drinking beer . Now I'm alone and isolated not knowing somethings where to turn to.
Thanks for joining us! I'm in the same boat as you. I've pretty much lost all of my friends. All I'm trying to do is focus on getting myself better. Take each day as it comes. Like so many people say, you only have to worry about today. Concentrate on not drinking today. Since you work in a brewery, you may have to keep reminding yourself more often. You can do it!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
All,

I went to an AA meeting yesterday, and one of the old timers handed me a little slip entitled "just for today." It has 10 "affirmations" on it for daily inspiration. I thought I'd share one today. If it is helpful, I can do one tomorrow too.

"Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
I love it!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'd like to join the Marchers also please.

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and finally joined today.

Quit drinking on March 6 at 9pm. Don't want to go back there like I have so many times over the past 25 years. Maybe staring 60 years old in the face has something to do with it. I know now that I don't want to die drunk.

The support I have seen given here on SR has encouraged me to think that I can be sober. After 5 days things are changing,

No more night sweats.
Slept through the night the last couple nights.
Wake up with saliva in my mouth not completely dried out.
My balance when walking is getting better.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PioneertoNow View Post
Hi all I just crawled over the week mark and feel like I am ready for some self care. I am going to meditate in the mornings starting tomorrow. It is one of those things that has always been great for me like going to the gym. However, when drinking I never seem to do it. My mind is so jumbled up and my nerves need some down time without the help of the bottle.

Congrats on the week of Sobriety!

I've been thinking about trying meditation too. Do you have any recommendations on how to start?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I thought today was going to be a breeze, woke up in a good mood, went to town, done some housework, suddenly slump, very low. I guess the euphoria of being sober is fading away ....I seem to have miscalculated my days sober, this is day 5, uurgh I want it to be over

Old 03-12-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi All! I'd also like to join Marchers, please. March is a good month and it's going to get better and better.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Tic

Day 5 of no MJ here....Not missing it terribly, no real desires, just need to figure out how to stay off it this time so ground hog day does not reoccur.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Keep at it Toddle. There will be slumps, lows and highs. I think they call it life
Normies face it too. The only difference is that their thoughts don't turn to drink to escape.
What do "they" do. I dunno, chocolate, reading, excercise, movies etc. and just accepting that slumps do happen.
Your incisive posts have helped many people. Like yourself a bit.
Because your worth it.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

What do I have to do to become a marcher
Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

You've just done it Rich.
You're very welcome
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Aka

Do you have room for one more ? I had my very last one on 3/7/2014 ?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome Aka!

(Says the guy who just joined the class 20 minutes ago!)

Although after reading all four pages of the thread I feel a certain bond already with us, the Marchers of 2014.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by Discovery14 View Post
I'd like to join the Marchers also please.

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and finally joined today.

Quit drinking on March 6 at 9pm. Don't want to go back there like I have so many times over the past 25 years. Maybe staring 60 years old in the face has something to do with it. I know now that I don't want to die drunk.

The support I have seen given here on SR has encouraged me to think that I can be sober. After 5 days things are changing,

No more night sweats.
Slept through the night the last couple nights.
Wake up with saliva in my mouth not completely dried out.
My balance when walking is getting better.
Welcome! I'm glad you decided to join us! Aren't the benefits of not being drunk all the time great?

I'm staring 40 in the face. I hear you, I don't want to die drunk either. I feel like there is so much left for me to do in this life and I'm looking forward to it!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by toddle118 View Post
I thought today was going to be a breeze, woke up in a good mood, went to town, done some housework, suddenly slump, very low. I guess the euphoria of being sober is fading away ....I seem to have miscalculated my days sober, this is day 5, uurgh I want it to be over

Hang in there Toddle! Find something nice you can do for yourself. Watch a movie, go for a walk... anything. You'll feel better. My mood is on a rollercoaster since I started my sobriety. At one point I was diagnosed as bipolar. Now I really think that it was the alcohol messing with me. It's gonna get better!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks Sparkos x Appreciated, am making dinner now, I'll settle down soon and get cosy

Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by George3334 View Post
Hi All! I'd also like to join Marchers, please. March is a good month and it's going to get better and better.
Welcome, George! We are glad to have you!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by Discovery14 View Post
Welcome Aka!

(Says the guy who just joined the class 20 minutes ago!)

Although after reading all four pages of the thread I feel a certain bond already with us, the Marchers of 2014.
If you have time, you can click the link on the first post in this thread and read the other 25 pages! /laughs