One Year & Under Club Part 28

Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

"Sometimes my greatest accomplishment is just keeping my mouth shut"

Feels like me today!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Read this in a 2002 Grapevine this morning. Liked it so thought I would share it:

"While I was in my first year of sobriety, someone... relayed to me that there were three three-word sentences that I ought to learn and practice... They were: 1.) 'I was wrong.' 2.) 'I don't know.' and 3.) 'I need help.'"

"... They also described my surrender to being an alcoholic. I was wrong about being able to drink normally. I didn't know how to stop. I needed help stopping and staying stopped."
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
p***enger

Not a good day so far -- the first day in a long time I felt like drinking in the morning -- I want to spend the day chain-smoking, drinking, maybe catch a bus to Florida. F*** Everything And Run. Very jittery. I'm going to a meeting this afternoon. My alcoholism is showing its ugly face but I definitely won't drink.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Not a good day so far -- the first day in a long time I felt like drinking in the morning -- I want to spend the day chain-smoking, drinking, maybe catch a bus to Florida. F*** Everything And Run. Very jittery. I'm going to a meeting this afternoon. My alcoholism is showing its ugly face but I definitely won't drink.
hang in there Courage you can do this.
Here is
a big HUG for you.
Babs
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

I knew I'd get good advice here.

Moment to moment, I enjoy my experiences. Next hockey season I'm taking a break from volunteering, but I need to finish out this season's responsibilities. I'm getting overwhelmed because I'm focusing on the negative and thinking wayyy too far in advance.

I've worked through what the positives are. I'll focus on what I will enjoy about this busy week.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Dax- I don't know how I missed the part about your uncle the first time I read your post. Glad to hear that you've decided suicide isn't an option now.

WWG- Most women I know like listening to other people and their problems. We like to offer our help- which often means just lending an ear. Your wife would probably love to hear what you're thinking and what is going on in your head. And way to go on 350 days. Can't wait to be congratulating you on a year shortly!!

Jim- Feel free to post when you're having cravings too. You'll find tons of support!!

Glee- Sorry to hear you're feeling stressed. If you can, find ways to make things easier on yourself- take-out for dinner or order in a pizza, buying lunchables for the kids lunches rather than packing them, or maybe dropping the laundry off at a place that you can pay to do it for you (I know for many of us that sort of thinking is totally foreign, we feel like we have to do it all). Just some ideas, I don't exactly know your situation so I don't know what would work or not work for you, but the point is that sometimes, we need to find ways to make things easier on ourselves. Especially when we're expending a lot of energy to just stay sober.

Gilmer- Good luck on the final!!

Carlos- We're grateful to have you here!

Toots- How are you doing? I don't think I read a single thing about you in all of that!!

Courage- We're here for you. You know drinking won't really make anything better. Is there something causing you to feel bad and want to escape?

I keep a gratitude thread going here and it hit part 2 today which has me thinking. If I can be so vain, I'm going to quote what I wrote there this morning.
Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
I'm even more thankful for what this thread does for me, or makes me do for myself. In Melody Beattie's book The New Codependency, she writes, "It's important to say thank you for our gifts. But you also have to fake, force and will gratitude- write "I AM grateful for:_________," whether you're grateful or not. It's not lying. It's a spiritual practice and acting as if." There have definitely been days when I had to force myself to come up with things I was grateful for. Sometimes, it comes easier than others. Sometimes I truly am very grateful. Whether it occurs naturally or not, working to be grateful brings me towards being more grateful. Progress, not perfection, right? Gratitude has been a very important force in my recovery.
I really can't stress how important it is to take the time to be grateful or at least try to be grateful. Today I'm grateful for how much I've grown in my recovery.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  
p***enger

DG, I'm with you on the gratitude thing and also that actions -- forcing oneself to do DESPITE not feeling it -- can change the mindset. I'm on an SR gratitude list every day.

There are a lot of little things and a couple of big ones that maybe explain why I'm so far out of sorts today but none of them is an excuse to indulge alcoholic patterns of thinking -- I just can't let the thoughts begin. I need to go to a meeting. I haven't seen my former sponsor or been to a meeting in a week. Even when I keep the lid on the trashcan, the beast inside it makes a lot of noise sometimes.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Dax I like the quote, simple and to the point.

Courage 'a lot of little things and a couple of big things' sounds like enough to make me want to run away to Florida. Difference now is, I'd drink fresh orange when I got there. Sometimes having to be a responsible grown up can get to us. As addicts our automatic response to the feeling this generates, is to run to our addiction of choice. You need to remember Courage, everyone and I mean everyone wants to run away to Florida sometimes. ( well perhaps apart from the floridians who probably fancy Alaska for a change of scenery) we all have moments where we want that innocent lack of responsibility of our childhood. No chores, no bills, no crappy job, no ungrateful self absorbed loved ones, no depression, no niggling irritations, just day after day of running in the sun eating ice cream. Next best thing for the addict in us is a few hours of oblivion. But we know now that is not any kind of answer. I. Sorry you are having a cruddy time, coming here to vent is way more satisfying that anything else. And a so with any mood, it too will pass honey. Big cyber hugs xx

Gilmer good luck for tomorrow, b'HATZlacha! (Sorry if I just insulted your mother)

DG, I don't specifically write a gratitude every day, but I do generally feel glad about the things in my life. I'm doing ok sweetie, thank you for asking, my headaches and dizziness seem to have completely disappeared. I am looking forward to some better weather though so I can get out and about a bit more. I am getting lazy having no direction at the moment.

GF, sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees, it takes someone else standing further back to point it out! I'm glad you have found a way to see the week ahead which doesn't overwhelm you!

Carlos, see you later dude.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
p***enger

Toots, thanks -- I know it will pass, I'm just venting. To be honest tho, my urges to run away never have anything to do with playing on the beach eating ice cream like an innocent child. My fantasies start in bus stations and truck stops and end under bridges. It's just the way I got wired -- maybe it will change over time, I dunno. I'm not the kind who seeks pleasure that accidentally turns destructive -- I'm just plain old self-destructive.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

DG, big congrats on the 11 month.

Dee, get better quickly.

Dax, congratulations on putting the suicide option to bed for good.

Toots, thank you for being so compassionate with everyone. I hope someone is looking after you too.

Courage, that wiring can be short-circuited to a good cause. let it run its course but just don't don't drink. Take a duvet day if need be, and ice cream bec. I remember it seemed to do the trick in emergency times.

I'm fine and still enjoying work. I've had more cravings than usual this last Saturday, perhaps because I was having a one on one dinner with my sister and seeing her drink sort of triggered me.

Carlos, I hope you're well and better than the last time I caught your thread where you seemed a bit angry. everything good these days ? And remember don't drink.

see you all dear undies,

Dottie
xx
Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Oh my dear sweet Courage...Rarely do I trigger these days, but I must admit that reading that you wanted to not just drink, but chain-smoke and drink was a small trigger. I quite smoking a long time ago and haden't done that in forever. The combo got to me...briefly...

Then, on further thought...it actually made me laugh out loud, big time. I pictured you and I on a fricken bus to fricken florida smoking and drinking our brains out. Not a pretty sight. Anyway, thanks for the LOL, pinball buddy.

That was "fake" angry, DP. Thanks for the drop by, too. We miss you!!

Again, gotta boogie on...AA mtg beckons.

On the rebound, Toots! (A hoops reference, not relationship)
Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ah, Courage, the not quite so innocent pleasure of self destruction, I'm glad you have the strength to turn away sweetheart. We like you in one piece. X
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Hi undies!
I was so exhausted today for some reason. Just slept crummy last night so skipped on tonight's training class for my dog.
Planning an early night of sleep since I work at 7 tomorrow morning.

Courage hope those cravings go away!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all, I'm good and thanks for the support.

Sleep tight and well, BF.

Carlos, don't tease me. Sorry to give you a moment's trigger. I've had my finger on it all day long. I used to take Greyhound -- riding the dog -- back & forth from NY to Chicago when I was a teenager, alone, smoking & passing the bottle in the back of the bus among the other burnouts & drunks.

Toots, glad you're feeling better. How's Bean-town?

Dotty, good to see you & glad you still are enjoying work. How good does it feel to have an income?

Best wishes for a peaceful night to all the undies!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  
Administrator

off to bed guys - new thread starts here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-29-a.html

D