Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 7

Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Day 100 for me today. I never imagined I could stop drinking and would not have, except for this website and the support I have drawn from these forums. Thank you all for your posts, I have learned so much from all of you.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Many congrats to you Ornithology! You sound brand new. I hope you find every good thing you ever wanted. I know you have worked very, very hard to get where you are. I hope you continue post here often and keep us up with your progress. You are very strong and determined and I hope your acquaintance with the new you is one of happy times and much learning.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Ornithology - great achievement

D
Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hip, hip, hooray, Ornithology! I enjoy your posts, too. We all learn a lot from each other.

Well, I may be the first (temporary) casualty of the SR Exercise Club. Did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night and decided to follow with some crunches. Went way too fast and way too wrong ... hurrying because I'd set my iPhone down in a place where I couldn't see it.

Boy, am I paying the price for being a nitwit. Pain was setting in in the top of my back/neck by the time I went to bed. Had a nearly sleepless night ... maybe an hour or two, wincing every time I moved an inch. Only worked half a day (fortunately, my boss has a bad back and she was very supportive). Some ibuprofen and a heating pad have helped quite a bit.

Hoping for a much better night tonight. In the meantime, maybe Dooner will loan me a couple exercise "points" ... I think I'm gonna have to take it easy for at least a couple more days, which was exactly what I did *not* want to do. Argh.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Venecia - Advil and try to take it slow
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself and sleep well! Good night..
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better tomorrow Venecia - ouch

D
Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Venecia! I am so sorry! I know what that's like to get a little ahead of yourself with the workouts. I've done it with yoga more than once and with a few other things, too. Hopefully you'll feel better in a couple of days. I've always found that soaking in the bathtub with a big handful of Epsom salts very helpful. Worked very well in detox, too, I might add. Very soothing. Hope you feel better soon.. Love, Elseware.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I'm in a restless place, teetering on the edge of dissatisfaction. Time is passing quickly and I don't feel as if I'm achieving much. It's getting cold here and I feel very old and am tolerating life rather than enjoying it. I am pissed about how much my house insurance costs. I am having too many thoughts about drinking. I am going to read and go to sleep
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

FG. I surely know the feeling. Restless is my middle name. I've been worrying all day about Xmas expenses. (!) Not even necessities, for Gosh sakes. I'm feeling a little low tonight, too. Don't know why. Just do. Got a cold. Life is discouraging sometimes. I hope you're reading a good book and keeping warm. I don't know about where you are but it's only 7 degrees (F) here tonight, and tomorrow there probably won't be any water going to the pastures. You know what I'll be doing. Cold or no cold.

Sometimes it helps me to rest better if I take a warm (not hot) shower before I try to rest. It sort of soothes me and helps me put my anxiety aside. Just an idea. Be well and sleep tight.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope some peace is coming for you guys

D
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Boy, am I paying the price for being a nitwit. Pain was setting in in the top of my back/neck by the time I went to bed. Had a nearly sleepless night ... maybe an hour or two, wincing every time I moved an inch. Only worked half a day (fortunately, my boss has a bad back and she was very supportive). Some ibuprofen and a heating pad have helped quite a bit..
Venecia, sorry to hear of your injury. It is common. When you do crunches you should not have your hands behind your neck as one tends to pull the neck forward.
-- My technique is:
1 - lie on flat back (obviously)
2 - raise legs in the air, bent at 90 deg and crossed, and hands on my chest
3 - Prep by tightening your abs and raising your back up off floor slightly
4 - Then simply raise your trunk 4-6" further, then lower same amount
5 - You should feel the ab muscles being used - do 12-15 reps, 2 or 3 sets
6 - you can even look at the ceiling while doing this to protect your neck more

I also do leg lifts while on my back.
1 - raise both legs in the air vertical (or close as you can get)
2 - lower one leg down, then raise back up
3 - repeat for 10 total, then do the other leg
4 - do 2-3 sets of these also. I sometimes alternate crunches and leg lifts.

Have fun!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
I'm in a restless place, teetering on the edge of dissatisfaction. Time is passing quickly and I don't feel as if I'm achieving much. It's getting cold here and I feel very old and am tolerating life rather than enjoying it. I am pissed about how much my house insurance costs. I am having too many thoughts about drinking. I am going to read and go to sleep
When I feel like this the gratitude forum section really helps me. I go there morning and night whenever I can. It keeps my sober head on straight. I credit that forum with maintaining my sobriety this far. Cant recommend it enough. But you have to do it a couple days in a row before the difference becomes apparent. Give it a try!

The Gratitude List - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
When I feel like this the gratitude forum section really helps me. I go there morning and night whenever I can. It keeps my sober head on straight. I credit that forum with maintaining my sobriety this far. Cant recommend it enough. But you have to do it a couple days in a row before the difference becomes apparent. Give it a try!

The Gratitude List - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
I've visited there and made a few entries. Maybe I need to read some as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Venecia - the single best thing you can do is planks. For many even those in shape the core is often neglected. Planks will strengthen the core, which will improve so many things such as posture, walking, sitting. I think there is 30 day plank challenge.

http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/cl...k-challenge/#_
Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
I've visited there and made a few entries. Maybe I need to read some as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Oh yes I should've said that. It is in the reading of the others that i am really helped.
When I first went, for weeks the only positive thing I felt I had to say was I hadn't had a drink in twenty four hours. Then I could say well I'm not unemployed, thats something... thats how i dragged myself through it.

. Pretty soon I was realizing in reading others that in reality I had all I needed for the next 24 hrs.... ennough to feel great gratitude. Some people have been homeless. Have no food. No job. In accidents. No money. Nobody in the world. Terminally ill .... And they stay sober and push on. It has really changed me.

Read the bedtime thread and the morning threads for the most regular posters who share a bit more in their posts. The more you share the more others cheer you on.

What we focus on grows. Forcing myself to focus multiple times a day on gratitude has been a big key in stopping self pity which was a gateway to my drinking. Though I didn't know it!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

EQ. I just did what you suggested with the gratitude posts. Thank you for that. It is just what I needed.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

4 months sober today

Hello everyone,

I have been MIA but I am still sober. I am 4 months sober today. I would have never imagined that I could stay sober for this long. It has been a blessing. I contribute a lot of my success to this site and you wonderful people. Sobriety is amazing and I am filling my time with all the things that I missed out on while drunk and blacked out. I have done so many things that I would have never imagined possible. I just wanted to stop by and say . I have a bunch of catching up do but I love reading your posts as it keeps me going in the right direction. Congrats to everyone on their sober time! Take care everyone and I hope to be able to post more often than I have done so lately.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Way to go Serenity! What an accomplishment. We are proud of you!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Three (sober) cheers for you, Serenity! Come by here often. We've missed you. So glad you're doing good with your new life.