Class of December 2012 - Part 9

Old 12-11-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hooray for you, Marria! --

You're fabulous!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

I'm putting up my Christmas tree for the first time without a glass of wine in hand

Last year I put it up the first week in December with wine

Feeling festive, listening to Christmas tunes. Happy Sober Christmas
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Congratulations Marria!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 1 years everyone. Sure doesn't feel like been hanging around here for a year already, would have to think of those of us still hanging around we're all in a better place than we were.

Been a tough week here, was heading to work yesterday and the truck ahead of me in the dark at 6:30 went to make a left, no headlights coming, but hit an old man riding his bike coming the other way. Watched it happen, never seen something like that, was his first aid as best I could. Poor guy had to be at least 80, and was on his way home from having coffee with his buddies, he was doing everything right, safety vest, bike helmet and headlight. The paramedics felt he would be okay, and thankfully it wasn't his hip, mostly ribs but the worry at that age is internal damage. Still don't have any word on him, no blurbs on the local news site, would be good to find one that just says 'suffered minor injuries'.

Then came in to work this morning, our superintendent of 20 years has been away from work for a month, he was ill with what we thought was the flu going around our work I posted about a few weeks ago. This wasn't like him, he is old school redneck who doesn't miss work for anything. It had turned in to a bad ear infection that wouldn't go away. They finally got him to the doctor, and long story short they are running tests but they feel it is a terminal brain tumour. Pretty devastated around here, and lots of second guessing because the signs were there. He had bad mood changes over the last 2 years, but we just chalked it up to the difficult projects we were working on, and he is a daily 'functioning' alcoholic forever so we also thought that was just catching up with him. And about a month ago there would be mornings where he seemed in a daze, or really off balance, we assumed just really hungover, but even that wasn't like him to be stumbling. Hoping to get word today, but they don't feel he will make it home from the hospital so his family is trying to contact all the relatives from out of town and such.

Soldier on, all we can do.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Really tough week Gonzo! thank you for stepping up and helping with the bicyclist! It is pathetic how many people would have driven by and not helped, even if they saw it like you did. Because of HYPPA the hospital won't speak to you but perhaps if you call the police who investigated and explain who you are, they could give you a generality type answer, like yes he was treated and released, that would help put your mind at rest.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
p***enger

Gonzo, that's rough, unsettling. I hope you're doing ok -- sometimes we get to dwelling on the woes of the world & internalize them, but that's not helpful to anyone. You were very good to help the cyclist, and I'm sure you & your colleagues will be there for your boss. ((( )))
Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

That's a rough day Gonzo. It's good you helped the cyclist,you did all you could. Hoping and praying the man is recovering well. Sorry to hear about your colleague-that's so awful at any time but seems even worse at this time of year.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your bad week Gonzo.

D
Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I'm actually his boss, I work with the family but he has been there forever. We were at the point with him where if he didn't come to us about moving on we were going to do it. We just assumed it was the booze because its so prevalent in this industry (I do underground contracting, water, sewer, roads and such). He had just seemed to care less about everything, was always in a bad mood, problems at home, was swearing and yelling at everyone all the time, everyone was a #$% idiot but him, everyone should know whats going on, etc. Another thing was over the past few years crew members who were part of his everyday after work drinking gang have moved on, so was no one around to stay at the site with, and we have quite a few guys on staff that have gotten over their drinking issues, so they never want anything to do with him outside of work. So yeah feeling like a heel that maybe it was all just a result of this illness, but like I said, he was that macho construction guy that isn't going to no wussy doctor so doubt it ever would have been caught in time, what a waste.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi y'all --

Just checking in. Went to an AA meeting tonite -- pretty much the only one I still go to, lately. The anniversary meeting was scheduled for Christmas day, but they moved it, and so I'll be able to celebrate it there. I'm glad about that.

Busy winding up the semester. Have to go back to DC on Sunday but it's not so much high pressure as last time. Then husband is traveling to Arizona -- I'll follow him in about a week, then my son will join us. I'll be alone in Dec. & again in Jan. for a few nights each time. I can't describe to you how carefully I have my relapse planned. The plan always lands w/me in the hospital, so it's a plan I don't hope to execute. But I can feel the AV working on it, all the time. Just warning you, I may be posting a LOT!!

Love you All! Those who are here: Alice, gonzo, marria, napster, readyatlast, tamerua, tazzle, TTBABP

And those we miss and hope are doing well: Bernie, cat1961, charlienoogan, CNHO8, fallow, inconsolable2, kizzie, lifeanew, maples, newlifeformeeee, pixienotipsy, soberhappyhour, transform, Wifi.

And Dee!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hello from Orlando... Again! Lol Sorry to hear about your employee gonzo. That just sucks. .

Courage, post away while your hubby is out of town! Ready, Lapland sounds amazing! I love going places and they make you plan your next vacation out.

Taz, hope your doing well after your last weekend.

Howdy, napster, how is the new job?

Getting ready to check out and head over to our last training. We had three sessions this year and in the second session we were divided into two teams and given a project (challenge) for a real problem at the company and this last training was to present it, which we did yesterday and my team won. Afterwards, they took us to Epcot where we had dinner on the water and watched the fireworks. It was nice. It had an open bar. A lot of people got really drunk and then when we got back to the hotel, those same folks went to Applebee's for "dessert". A year ago, I so would have been in on that.... Not so much now.

I have to do something about my job... While I was in training, my boss kept calling and messaging me to call and fix a report that he said I dropped the ball on. This is also why I had not taken a lot f time off until now, he calls me at home on my vacations and on Saturdays to tell me that I dropped something. The whole "dropping" is highly debatable but when I engage, I leave frustrated and flustered and ready to quit because he is never wrong. The folks in my training were affirming that it is crazy.... I was 100 miles away, in a training that he required me to do. I have to do something because this just isn't normal and I'm completely dreading going in on Monday. Anyway. Thanks for letting me vent.

Everyone happy anniversaries! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about mine on Monday. I am way excited! Lol
Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hey Tam do you work in my office?( pssst Leave me a cookie on my desk if you do, won't tell promise) I have been known to make a visual point of writing down tasks that he gives me and repeating them to him, and not just him its others in the office who think I am a doormat for them to use. Even little scraps of paper have a wonderful effect of backing people down when they get all big and powerful. I get a lot of "I told you this yesterday" crap, so I do a lot of preemptive cover my a-- techniques, that I have learned over the years. Hubby and I are taking off this aft. for a fast across state and back trip that we wish we could avoid but no can do. we leave today and will be back exhausted tomorrow evening.
Courage how ya doing?
Alice- you have so much to be joyful for this holiday season. I really admire your strength and attitude!
RAL- I am still jealous of your trip so not sure I want to talk to you Did you get any special decorations to put up?
Gonzo- all you can do now is focus on today and not the woulda, coulda, shoulda things involving your co worker. sounds like this effects a lot of people, easy to take false blame you dont deserve. Did you ever hear about the cyclist?

Alrighty short work day for me, off at noon, so to work I had best get!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Oh Tazzle -I have next year's Lapland ski brochure in front of me as we speak It arrived in the post this morning and I'm keenly reading it to cries of Mr RAL shouting "Don't book anything" We got a glass angel which is now next to the crib and some sleigh bells for the tree!!

Been feeling rough for the last couple of days.I swear I've been ill more times since I quit drinking than ever before. Why is that? Have others felt that?Do you think we're just more aware now. Perhaps when I was ill before I assumed it was drink related so assumed when I stopped drinking I'd never be ill. To think I used to purposely make myself feel like this/ill is the most hideous,scary thought I regularly have now.

Enjoy your half day off Tazzle.Do you have plans?

Glad your meeting went well courage-you seem more content with AA now. Hope you're feeling more settled.

Sorry to hear you're having work issues Tam. Can you speak with your boss or even your HR department? He sounds as if he's overstepping boundaries contacting you -it could be construed as harrasment,even bullying.Of course you know the dynamics of the situation more than me . I once had a dreadful boss who contacted me all the time, I almost feared and hated going into work, I ended up leaving rather than deal with it properly. Maybe he's unaware of how he comes across?

I was thinking earlier I bet there will be a few people out tonight on works parties doing and saying crazy things and just thankful it won't be me this year.

Happy sober weekend everyone.x
Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
p***enger

Drive safely, Tazzle!

Tam, I'll bet you're excited for Monday! Are you planning anything special? A little self-pampering might be called for, and virtually free considering all the $$ you're saving by not drinking.

Ready, sorry you're not well, but I'm glad you're planning another trip. Isn't it delightful to have a future worth planning for? I still pinch myself sometimes.

I go back to DC tomorrow, & return Monday night, husband leaves town Tuesday. I'll follow him the following Monday. I'm trying to pile up things to do while we're apart, so I'm either too tired or too drunk to get into any trouble

Hope everyone is well. It's snowing here today. Does anyone remember how to make paper snowflakes? I was thinking of inviting my son & his girlfriend over for a craft day, but I don't know any crafts. (Oh, & if your jaw isn't dropping when you think of me & crafts, you don't know/remember the old me!)
Old 12-14-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
so I'm either too tired or too drunk to get into any trouble
OMG I can't believe I wrote that. Sorry, my AV is showing. This totally calls for a special Dee smiley --
Old 12-15-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

LOL Courage! I didn't even catch that until you pointed it out. Go get coffee, maybe hit some meetings? Walk around the city, it's Christmas and I've heard rumors there are a couple of things to see in your neck of the woods.

RAL and Taz, this is what I've been dealing with in regard to my boss the whole time... I've confronted him several times, laid out boundaries and I've documented the hell out of every interaction with him. I'm going to be calling the EAP line next. I'm not comfortable going to HR because I know someone else who had, and that person was talked to for not bringing it forward sooner and they didn't do anything with the offender. I think he has "isms" as my good friend likes to say. I'm getting a plan together.... I have 6 classes to complete to have a degree that I just kept putting off so come August, I want to complete it and start a Masters in Human Resources and Employment Relations (well... that's what I'm thinking about at the moment. The BAs are in Spanish and Education. I could still change my mind several times before I commit). Until then, I think I'll either post to a position and say that I can't go to school and continue the commitment this current job demands or get another job altogether. Who knows. If anyone has advice on what to do, I'll gladly take it because what I've been doing hasn't been working.

Courage, I got a pedi the other day... I'm just going to work and then I'm going to the intergroup meeting and I'm sooooooo nervous. At the end, you stand in a circle and there are 200 people or so and they go person by person looking for someone with an anniversary in the month and I'm going to say in front of everyone, "I'm Lynn and I'm an alcoholic and TODAY I am one year sober." I know that it's going to get loud with applause and I'm not big on being the center of attention. My partner got me a necklace, it's a key with little diamond accents on it... I had no idea she had done that.

I'm on my way to a Desserts party with some AA folks, we're taking hot Krispy Kremes! and I am going to load up on protein before I go because I can't eat any of this.

Everyone have a great day! 10 days until Christmas, my son made sure that I was aware.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
p***enger

I hope you all, who know me best, don't mind if I share this with you. It's just realizing that basically for the next week I'm dealing w/a heavy load of triggers, and it helps me to lay them out in a table. Things don't seem so intimidating in black & white.

Am I the only one on SR who deals w/all my problems by making tables & spreadsheets?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
problems2.JPG (42.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't spreadsheet but I write a lot of REMEMBER THIS lists lol
Looks great tho Courage

time for a new thread tho...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html

Join us there
D