Notices

Class of May 2013 Pt 3

Old 12-15-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drop in as much as you need to Krodos - a healthy dose of SR is sure to be good for whatever is ailling ya

D
Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Definitely understand that, Krodos. Coming to SR and just writing about the frustration or the impulse or the temptation helps. Whenever the AV gets too loud, I will drop in even for a second. Even if I'm not writing, just looking at a post reminds me of my first time here and brings me back to where I was. Only wish I had done that more before I drank again back in October
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Just dropping in for the New Year
Had a great New Year's. While I did host a party (as is tradition here) that involved alcohol, I did not partake and got everyone home safely. I even was able to take some people out of town to watch the best Northern Lights display I've ever seen. My blood pressure took a dive for the worse, and it looks like I'll need to go out for surgery because I have a hernia again But- at least I'm trying to take care of me. Hope everyone is doing the same and had a great new years.
On the bad note, I had an old drinking buddy that suddenly quit her job and left town. I learned this morning that her immediate departure was because she had moved onto opiates (oxy- while still drinking heavily) and a cop saw her popping pills at work. She was allowed to quietly resign and leave. I saw her over New Years and knew something was off. I'm torn because we're not close enough where my input would make much difference, but it's sad to see the addiction advance in others when it could have easily been me.
Anyway- here's to a new SOBER year!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

I can't believe how long it's been since I've checked in here at SR. FYI I have a new SR name so I hope you all recognize me by my icon. Have been meaning to check in but I've been busy doing a combination of things, some important, some lazy and slothful.

But tomorrow will be 8 months for me and I'm grateful.

A few weeks ago at a holiday event I did take 2 teensy sips of someone's drink. Not because I wanted to. But because they kept asking me to taste their concoction. I politely declined a couple times but gave in and took the sips after some "why nots" from them. I guess because I didn't want to go give a truthful or even a fake answer. I don't consider this a slip up. It's not anything I would enjoy drinking and I had so little. When I say teeny sips I do mean that. I know this kind of situation is something I need to learn how to address. What if it were some amazing version of something I liked to drink? That would have been really risky to sip.

I was around lots of drinking over the last month. I just kept remembering my plan and commitment.

Helen, way to go on the visit with your sister!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pinkgate

If that happens to me I usually get a little colder and say 'no thanks, I'm fine with my drink - glad you're enjoying yours'.

D
Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hi, Pinkgate. The same sort of thing happened to me in June--I walked into a supermarket (on a Sunday morning, no less) and there was a display of a bunch of bottles of wine with a woman giving out thimble-sized samples. I ignored her, because I really didn't notice; but then she called out to me and I made eye contact, and it seemed rude to refuse. So I took it, just as I'd take a burrito sample or something, and then I realized "This is wine!"

I agonized over that for a couple of weeks; then I realized that it meant nothing, did nothing, and was not worthy of being called a relapse. I stopped beating myself up about it.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

Isn't it funny tho - we'd rather do something we know is dangerous for us than appear 'rude' or rock the boat?

I embraced my 'rudeness' LOL - I think by my age you've earned the right not to do things simply for appearances sake

what do others think?

D
Old 01-08-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Yeah--I wouldn't have done it if it had happened today.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Actually, recently I saw one wine sample person who offered me some, and I looked right at him and said, "I'm an alcoholic!" He looked shocked and really awkward, and I got a real kick out of it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol!
D
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hello all.
Glad you're still with it Pinkgate.

I'm checking in because I've been up in distress all night. A friend died yesterday night. He was 31. Not a good friend. I am good friends with his fiancé, but he was a very good friend of my husband. He grew up with my husband. They're the same age, from the same rural town, and were part of a trio pack. Of the three friends, one is constantly in jail over alcohol, but this guy- he was a drinker, but in the way I was- held down a job, drank at night.

He then decided to go on a bender since New Year's day and finally his heart gave out yesterday. They're still waiting on toxicology results (of course), and he already was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, weakened heart muscles, heart arrthymia, and skyrocking blood pressure last year.

We're headed to the city (Anchorage) on tonight's flight. Going to see the family, but I'm also running to the doctor for the first time since quitting. Scary. Just again shows me how short life really is, and how fast it can be taken. I quit because of losing one friend, and here is another.

Very sad today
Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss Helen.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Wow, Helen. What a shame! I'm glad you are seeing a doctor, too.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...13-pt-4-a.html

D