Notices

Class Of March 2012

Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Random Guy

hahaha I actually woke up with a coffee and lack of sleep "hangover" a couple of days ago. I was sipping coffee all day long. Like any other mood enhancing drug (and caffiene is) it is better in moderation. At the same time I say that I also say if it takes 5 pots of coffee and three packs of smokes for you to quit alcohol I still think you would be getting the better end of the deal. Provided of course that you cut back on those as well once you do kick this pig.

On the o'duls question that is all up to you. I might have to see if there is any NA beer around town here to see if I can practise AVRT "shifting", I have tried just picturing beer but that isn't quite cutting it. I am sure that I could do it with real beer and have from time to time but something tells me something I can actually drink (sans alcohol) would really bring out "the beast".

So I think it would be fine for me but the question is what do you think? Do you have a system/plan in place in case you drink that o'duls and it makes you want a real one? That at least would be one precaution I would take.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t recommend NA beer - it always led me back to the real thing.

I liked beer - I found if I was holding something that looked,smelled, tasted and felt like beer, I was probably already salivating for the real thing....

JMO

D
Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

i made it so far but have had monster and coffee all day myself ... i think odouls has trace amounts of alcohol doesnt it? tomorrow will be hard since i know my friends are all going out and i AM irish. ergh. Stars seems like we have alot in common though
Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Off to compete in a 10 mile race. Will be tough not to drink. Keep me in prayers
Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Tobo: good luck on that race!!!

To everyone and the coffee questions: I am a huge fan of coffee. I also have dealt with anxiety for much of my life. The two don't mix. So I keep my coffee to 3 or 4 small mugs in the mornings (like right now). Much more and I find that I get dehydrated and plagued with anxiety. I carry a 32oz (1 liter) water bottle with me all day and put a couple of lemon slices in it. I drink 2-3 of these a day. In the evenings I switch to sparkling water. And sometimes i drink herbal tea when I am jonesing for a hot beverage or the "comfort" of a cocktail.

That said, if coffee keeps you from drinking booze, then drink tons of coffee! It can cause withdrawals of its own, if you drink enough (INH has mentioned this).

St. Patrick's Day: I am part Irish, but I haven't done the whole celebration of this holiday in a long time. Like New Year's Eve, it's an amateur day. People getting drunk and acting like fools. So I just either avoid people or watch them. I stay away from the bars, because they get too loud and crowded for my taste. Being drunk has always been the only way I could deal with being in crowded loud bars, anyway.

Happy Sober St. Patrick's Day!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Oh my gosh.... I just wrote a whole bunch of stuff for you Tobo and got booted out! Don't have time to re-do it.... praying for a good outcome on your race.

I'll get back on later...

Have a most excellent day everyone!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I Finaly went to bed around 0630 in the morning, and slept for an entire 8 hours. I am sure I needed it but now I feel tired and need to wake up.

get some breakfast and some water in me maybe a cup of coffee and I should start feeling like a million bucks.

Happy saint pattys day everyone, sad how a former religious/national heritige celebration has turned into an excuse for people around the world irish or not to get tanked. I know most patty days you could find me down at the bar. But not this one
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good morning and Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.

Starting Day 12 here and my rear end is dragging ... there is not enough caffeine in the world to help me this morning! INH, I can relate to your insomnia. The past few days, I haven't been able to get to sleep until at least 2 a.m., then have to get up at 6 to get kids off to school, etc. Then the next night, when I think I should be exhausted and ready for bed at a decent hour, I am still wide awake. Every morning is like Zombieland ... but it's better than waking up hungover, for sure.

Hope everyone has a happy, sober weekend. Thinking of all of you!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I'm Irish. I used to make corned beef and cabbage and drank beer all day. To me that was fun. I still might make the dinner though.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

"Beware the Ides of March".

My quit date is March 15, 2012 - good luck Marchers.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Welcome to the group Itchy!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

To Itchy... I quit the same day!! Good luck!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hi folks...

well... to be honest, I am really quite bored right now. I'm hanging out with my daughter, but she is playing computer games, I've done some housework and some other things, but I just don't feel like I have any motivation or energy whatsoever to be bothered doing anything else. I'm not unhappy, though, just I suppose fatigued.

Anyone got any ideas to keep flagging energy levels up and increase motivation just to do things (any things - I like making my house clean and tidy, like gardening etc)?

On a more positive note, had a wonderful meeting last night. The speaker had 47 years of sobriety - I was truly inspired. And... I plucked up the courage to ask a lady to think about being my sponsor.... I have been so drawn to her and I didn't mean to say anything as it is still such early days, it just came out. Must have been meant to be, huh?!

Being in Scotland I'm not that far from Ireland, but I never have celebrated St Paddy's day. The thought of being in a cramped hot pub with sweaty people about just makes me want to heave - lol!

Tobo - hope your race is going well!

Cardifflad - how are you?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Itchy, welcome. Strap in tight, it's not easy.

Finished my race. Pretty disappointed with my showing. 10 miles in 1:21. I should be able to do better than that. Truth is my training has been off bc I've missed some long runs bc of drinking and other runs we're half assed bc I was hungover. Plus I may have a sinus infection from putting **** up my nose.

I'm having a hard time not wanting to get drunk today. I already called a drinking buddy to go to the bar. He needs to go get his breathalyzer calibrated on his car first. He prob won't go with me tho bc he knows I want to stop.

I was thinking back to two st patricks ago. I was dating a girl I cared for very much. She was 12 yrs younger than me and was just beginning to experience the bar scene. I wanted her to go to a certain bar with me but she wanted to meet her friends at a different one. I got pretty upset and she was giving me the runaround. So after a few drinks I went to where she was. When I got there I watched her flirting with a guy. He had his arm around her. So I went up and removed his arm. I thought I was going to put him through a wall. She and I got in a huge fight and her parents came and picked her up. I said a bunch of mean things that I still regret. a week later we broke up a day after i got kicked out of a beer fest and made an ass out of myself. This was the beginning of a very low point in my life. I had just bought my first house and got laid off ten minutes after she broke up with me. I was at that job for 8 years. I went in a downword spiral drinking at all the things that had gone wrong. I loved her. Then she turned and got a new bf like a month later. It still breaks my heart.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

I'm bored aswell but stay strong Better sober and bored than hungover and ill. Wales win the grand slam and I'm stuck in the house. Would have been drunk all day then out for the football tomorrow again in the past.

My ex girlfriends son is going in for a massive operation on a tumor in his neck on Monday :/ I was doing so well until this news, just wish I could be there for them but I can't. Just need to stay sober and strong
Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Cardiff, Sorry to hear about the ex sons surgery. Say some prayers if that's your thing. May help and could bring you some peace.

I empathize with you about the football match. But for me, there is always a reason to drink. Today it just happens to be st Patrick's day for me. I just need to get through today and tomorrow is Sunday which I rarely drink on anyway bc of work (except for last weekend which caused me to miss work Monday)
Old 03-17-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your exes son CL.

D
Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Thanks both. I don't do praying but maybe I should start ha ha. Just want the op to be over and I can move on. Bit of a mess over this but staying sober is the main thing.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
Administrator

didn't mean to offend CL
all my best wishes works too

glad you're sticking with recovery
D
Old 03-17-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

New here. Gotta stop drinking beer. It may have ended my marriage of 22 years. Day 2 for me. I gotta get a hobby to take up the time normally devoted to drinking. Good luck everybody.