Notices

More Fizz Less Pop Part 2

Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Guess it must be 18 months before the magic wand gets waved Horsie.

I know what you mean though, one of the problems of just using SR and keeping your recovery secret in the real world is that nobody knows your are an alcoholic.

If everyone knew we had a drink problem then nobody would think about questioning why we weren't drinking at get togethers and from that point of view it would be easier.

I suspect that some of my friends and family do know but choose like me to not say anything, I sometimes wonder what kind of reaction I would get if I was to start drinking again, that might well prompt some people to say something.

The majority of people though don't find it strange that somebody wouldn't drink, when I look at it I often wonder if the people that do question it ( particularly the ones who won't let it go ) aren't hiding a problem of their own.

I really wasn't that comfortable around non drinkers myself when I was drinking, they drank too bloody slow for a start, I needed a continous flow, one drink was no good to me, in fact, when I was drinking I'd actually prefer to have no drink when out than have one or two then have to stop, course there was ALWAYS the half bottle hidden somewhere to be consumed in private.

For what its worth Horsie, my suggestion is to stay away from these type of family parties, we're invited to a big party in August at my wifes parents cos one of her Aunties is coming over from Chicago, I'm just not going, I have football that day anyway and I know in advance that everyone will be drinking all day.

Nothing for me and the kids there, I feel I'm being a bit rude but as everyone will be drunk, nobody will really notice I'm not there, I'll pitch up near the end with the kids to pick my wife up , say hello to everyone and job done.

Lots of fun things to do at a lake I reckon Horsie, drinking not being one of them.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

How was Scotland Ally ?

It was hot up here yesterday, you get sunburnt ?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

24# in the series they just can't ban

Kjerag Mountain Boulder, Norway

Ok, its not quite a bridge but would you go on it ?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

That is a scary picture !!

Scotland was beautiful but not sunny where i was

I did get to see a castle though
Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

25# Some Norwegian Boat at Lions Gate Bridge, Vancouver

Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by allport View Post
I did get to see a castle though
What castle ?

PM me the answer if you'd rather !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Strathaven Castle its a bit small Fizzy but I'm working my way up to bigger stuff
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

We're planning to go to Loch Leven Castle one weekend, might go this weekend if the weathers ok.

You have to go by boat as the castle is built on a small Island in the middle of the Loch.

Its where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

You can kind of see how she didn't escape very easy.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Ananda's post has got me wondering what I am trying to avoid in my head. I'm going to work on that one for a bit.

Can't avoid the lake. Son and I are driving 4 days and spending several days there and with my dad and his wife. Then we'll be driving 4 days home. The drive will be cool though because I'm going to find things to stop at along the way. So far an Infantry Museum. Was going to do a Cowboy Museum, but too old for him. Its mostly art and sculpture. Not a lot of kid oriented exhibits.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I think I see a relative of the Loch Ness or at least its wake.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Fizz do your family ever just have a nice quiet weekend at home
Old 06-22-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Fizz do your family ever just have a nice quiet weekend at home
Nope, mainly cos they've got a mad hyperactive dad that insists in filling his weekend for fear he'll go and get pished if he doesn't !!!!!!!!!

Reckon I used to spend far too much time round the house when I was drinking anyway, got to get out and enjoy things now.

Its good to get the kids out somewhere as well, have you tried having a quiet weekend at home with a 2 year old and a 5 year old, we try to kill each other.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
I think I see a relative of the Loch Ness or at least its wake.
Quite possible, he tends to tour during the summer.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah, I think if you are talking and thinking about your recovery then you are doing OK (even if you are struggling a bit), it is when we stop talking and thinking about it that danger arises.

Porty, I was sober for 6 months 2 years ago and found it pretty easy, I wasn't even dying for a drink when I drank, it was more just like a little experiment, since then, although I haven't gone back to drinking as much as before, it has been much harder to get back to any length of sober time too.

Seems like once you relapse you make the whole thing much harder to do again......you lose your momentum.

Originally Posted by Fizzy
I often wonder if the people that do question it ( particularly the ones who won't let it go ) aren't hiding a problem of their own.
Yep.

Hi Fizz.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

do you think we could book the monster for a weekend in tuttle creak lake here? he'd get lots of attention

why on earth would the queen want to excape such a lovely place???? I'd love to be put on that island and have 30 young soldiers at my beck and call .....

Ive been a bit lonely since the roman soldiers all ran of with LB
Old 06-22-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Administrator

Even when I finally gave in and had a drink, it was a case of thinking that i would have a few wild weekends then get myself back on track.

Here I am more than two years later struggling to string a few weeks together, (although the way I am at the moment is so much better than I was) it isn't always just a case of drink a bit then pick up where you were.

So whatever you do don't end up like me
Thanks Ally - I know damn well if I go out again I'm probably not gonna get back. You keep coming back tho - you'll get it

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
I don't know if I expected after a year that a magic wand would be waved and the urges would be gone for good, but sheesh!
No magic wand S - at least not for me. Some AA types seem to have got the no problems ever thing down - I doubt I'll ever be like that - I still think about it sometimes and it's been 2 years. I think the key is to change your life, and yourself, so that drinking becomes that much more alien to you. I've tried pretty hard to build a life where drinking has no place - it means I've had to leave a few things behind, but I've gained a lot too.

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I know what you mean though, one of the problems of just using SR and keeping your recovery secret in the real world is that nobody knows your are an alcoholic.
I dunno how you stay sober and keep it a secret as well, you guys. It'd be such an extra burden to me. I had to come clean to everyone so that I had no little boltholes left to run to if I ever cracked.

Hats off to ya Fiz and Horsie. You're both strong - you've done it this far - I reckon do anything but take the first drink and it's all good

D
Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

26# and we're getting a bit desperate in the series !!!!!!!!!!!

Funny looking bridge, looks somewhere foreign

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I dunno how you stay sober and keep it a secret as well, you guys. It'd be such an extra burden to me. I had to come clean to everyone so that I had no little boltholes left to run to if I ever cracked.

Hats off to ya Fiz and Horsie. You're both strong - you've done it this far - I reckon do anything but take the first drink and it's all good

D
It can be an extra burden, BUT it can be so much easier as well, like it or not there is a stigma attached to admitting you have a drink problem, a stigma that I don't have to live with.

That extra burden is the price Dee, guess I can't have it both ways.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
why on earth would the queen want to excape such a lovely place???? I'd love to be put on that island and have 30 young soldiers at my beck and call .....
She was crowned queen of Scotland in 1543 aged 9 months old.

In 1558 she married the king of France but he died in 1560, in 1567 her second husband died, presumed murdered by her soon to be third husband !!!!

She was then forced to abdicate the throne and was imprisoned in Loch leven castle.

She escaped from there and raised a small army to try and regain her throne.

She was tried for treason and had her head chopped off in 1587.

So there you go Nands !!!!!!!!!