Notices

Gateway Drugs

Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Is this exclusive to only NA people? Heck, I didn't know. Sorry about that. I'll go away.

later
Old 07-19-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

After all, I only got drunk for 2 weeks
and nothing bad happened...
I didn't go raided and pillivaged the town.lol
It just depressed the hell out of me... thou
After all alcohol is a depressent.

My ESH.
I consider myself to be more of and addict than and Alki.
My drugs of chioce was meth. I attened NA and AA.
I'm a MEMBER WHEN I SAY I AM...lmaf
I had a pill for every ill and I was sick a lot.lol
When I relapsed after being cleaned and sober for over 11 years.
The myth was put to rest for me.

My body ached all over within a very short period of time.
I became physically sick. Peaple said i look like a ghost.
I drank more and more everyday day.
I did my experiment.lol

I'm have a disease. I'm allergic to mind altering mood changing
sustance. I also break out in a rash of insanity when doing the
511. That's what i got arrested for anywho. I guess that's a short form
for the court system instead of listing everything. They kept it simple.lol
And I'm just plain NUTZ.lol
Old 07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by windysan
Is this exclusive to only NA people? Heck, I didn't know. Sorry about that. I'll go away.

later

Windy, When we have talks like this in Substance and people from NA/AA come in on them, we don't tell them to go away.
If you want to be here, you have every right too. Don't go away, Unless
YOU want too.

If you are recovering or still in active addiction you are welcome here.
Unless that has changed, it seems to me that you are welcome here Windy.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well said, Done.

Sometimes it's more important to look at the similarities rather than the differences. Sometimes it is better to be kind than to be right.

I hope you stay, Windy. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Thanks DWI. I wasn't sure if I was being asked to leave or not. You never know with people, ya know. I thought it sounded kinda mean and hateful. I've never seen that happen at any face-to-face meeting. Maybe I shouldn't post anything in here if it upsets people though. I know that some NA/AA people can get pretty exclusive sometimes. I don't want to cause no trouble.

dang
Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

NA's 3rd tradition states "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using"

why do people have so much trouble with this tradition?

chronic usage of a substance/behaviour/attitude against one's will fit's the obsessive/compulsive behaviour pattern of the disease model of addiction.

dis-ease, a state of being at unease was the best explanation for me of what was going on for years before I ever picked up my first substance.

In studying the steps for myself, I have discovered that these thought patterns/behaviours/attitudes have little to do with substances, and seem to be embedded into my personality along with a deficit in the ability to recognize and practice spiritual principles such as honesty. openmindedness, and willingness as well as faith, love, and forgiveness. The steps have given me tools to work on my improvement in these areas.

And for the most part I have noticed a new process for accepting my emotional responses to outside stimuli.

I don't get all worked up just because someone else is. Talk about freedom from active addiction. I have choices in how I respond to every situation and have regained an ability to make what are consistently healthier choices regarding my day to day activities and longer term goals I desire.

I am struggling with a resentment at the moment though.

I have gotten nearly to the point where I am disgusted with the inability to accept personal responsabilities of the fellowship at large. Note I did not say I am disgusted with the program, because the program has never failed me unless I am at a disadvantage in applying it. At any rate I will ask for prayers and pray myself for the acceptance regarding what I have recently noticed again are the blantant misuses of society regarding long time members who exploit recovery and the social welfare and social security programs and refuse to become self supporting. It's wonderful to attend an anniversary, or a convention and hear members with decades clean expounding on the do's and don'ts of Narcotics Anonymous who have stayed clean, gone back to school, secured bachelors degrees, have nice cars and houses. My stomach turns though when I remember that these gurus are quick to reprimand the newcomers about who they talk to, where they go, and what they do, yet they haven't worked even a part time job, done volunteer work (which wasn't a part of their suspended or reduced sentencing) or made a contribution to society beyond ceasing their criminal careers, since the day they stumbled into detox 15 or 20 years ago.

I am not bitching about people who receive disability benefits because they cannot physically or mentally handle a job. I have a resentment against the ones who can sucessfully complete college course and understudy programs and just won't work.

I don't give a rat's ass if you make 27 meetings a week, sponsor 30 sponsees and can quote the "Basic Text" and the "It Works" backwards. I think you ought to earn a living before you start defining someone elses relapses, or making judegement call's as to the quality of their recovery, or their "fitness" for membership in NA.

Like I said .. I'll be praying for some relief from this resentment but I allready know from previous experience that your prayers will certainly help.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
About the definition of disease. I balked at this concept too, though by definition it fits. According to Webster's--

Disease: a disordered or abnormal condition of an organ or other part of an organism resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, nutritional deficiency, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness.

It also fits when considering it from a mental/ psychological/ spiritual perspective of dis-ease,
Ease:1)freedom from pain, physical annoyance. Relaxation or comfort.
2) freedom from concern, anxiety, solicitude.

So to be dis-eased would be to be bound by those trappings. Which addiction certainly directly contributes to, if not creates in itself.
I posed this very thought on my blog a couple months ago, and I got some interesting responses. In case anyone is interested: http://nevyn.wordpress.com/2006/04/2...ease/#comments
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for jumping in here, Gooch. Prayers to you going out.

I have a resentment, too. Not against the program, but against certain *people* in the program who seem to be confused as to what constitutes healthy boundaries vs. gossip. But the more I play the resentment tape in my head, the more I see that d@mn mirror. See, I live in a glass house, too - dag-na-bit.

It's kind of cool how we *get* to keep growing and learning, huh?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey, Nevyn. I read part of your blog. I liked where you talked about the *need* to use is what makes an addict. The desire to use is one thing, but the need to use is a whole 'nother animal, IMO. That's as good a definition as any, I think.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

When I was in 1st grade I had these major headaches and hallucinations. They docs thought I was autistic. They pumped me full of all kinds of weird brain drugs, sedatives, and whatnot.

I guess those drugs were a gateway.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phinneas
I live in a glass house, too - dag-na-bit.
I wouldn;t have it any other way .. I used to remind a coworker ( and myself because everytime I offer any advice to anyone else ot better be something I take heed to) "If your going to throw rocks you better move out of that glass house."

he would reply "Yep and you better quit wearing those glass pants because I can clearly see your nuts!"

Old 07-26-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I agree I started with pot, hash, coke, lsd, coedine, and then the worse
-benzos-