Notices

Today was my birthday...?

Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

Unhappy Today was my birthday...?

Today is my birthday. im now 19 years old. but i dont feel right. ive celebrated every birthday that i can remember doing drugs. this is my first sober birthday and instead of being proud of myself for being sober im slightly upset. i feel deppressed and i think its the fact that ive yet to learn to have fun sober and i think its starting to get to me that i dont know anyone. im afraid to meet new people and i feel stuck as to what to do about the situation. i even feel bad about feeling this way because i try to stay positive as much as i can after a month of suicidal deppression. i dont want to go back to that. im afraid for myself. can anyone suggest something. im open to any suggestions and comments. you guys at sr are my only friends and i wish i could actually talk or meet with someone but for now your all i have. thanx for listening.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hey, Tink, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

You are among friends here, and this friend wishes you a much happier birthday than you've been having so far.

Make a wish, and I'll be crossing my fingers that it comes true.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

And this is the fastest cake I have ever baked

More Birthday Hugs
Ann
Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Happy Birthday and I am proud of you for you are doing the deal any time that we stay clean and it is hard to know how to have fun, I am having a hard time with everything that you said, but I know that if I use I loose. I don't want that either if you have ***** or msn messanger which I do got to my profile it should have both of them there and if you want I will talk to you any time ok. You are doing so so well and we are all proud of you.

Love vic
Old 09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Tink!
Be proud of yourself.
I brought the ice cream.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

thanx guys. i feel better already. i just got home from work. i spent my birthday at work and then sleeping cuz there was nothing else to do. but seeing the replys here make me smile and ive needed to do that all day. thanx.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Tink!! Happy Birthday to You!!

Congrats on your 1st sober birthday!! I just had my 32nd b-day and it was my first sober one since I was fourteen. Felt pretty good and pretty glum at the same time. I had really mixed feelings on that day. Proud to be sober, but unsure of what to do with myself. In the past my birthday was at least an almost expected day to go get wasted!! No-one could guilt me out about my use on that one day. At least that's how I used to think anyways.

Sounds like you spent the your day the same way that I did. Work than sleep. But boy did it feel great the next day to make it past such a hurdle without using!!! It was the best feeling to have a non-hangover-day-after-the birthday-day!!! I hope that made sense.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Tink!

thanks for sharing.. I need to hear stuff like that si i can be reminded what it was like.

My first birthday straight seemed real strange. In fact all my first's straight were a little challanging emotions wise. They were all easier to get through the following year in recovery. and in the long run it was well worth the unease.

Keep coming back!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy Happy Birthday Tink!!!
Hartelijk gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag! <--- that's happy b-day in Dutch

I've had my birthday clean and sober once and it felt both strange and great. Both feelings were there.
In time you will make real life friends again, just like I did. The NA program also gave me a lot of people in my area to hang and chat with. People with the same disease as me no less.

Have a great day Tink!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

thanks so much guys. seeing those pics and those comments made me feel like i was on a birthday party for me on the computer. it made it a memorable first sober birthday!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

Happy B-Day Think,
I know what you mean about meeting new friends either "normal" people or other people in recovery. I had this strange encounter with a shrink who told me I needed to be vulnerable in order to meet people. Well this was not good news at all (two prison terms, approx 10 years total incarceration) The last thing I want to do is be vulerable. But after weeks of talking about this subject I realized he was right. To some degree I need to be vulnerable to meet people and more forward. Forgiving myself for my past and realize it is the past was really hard, I still struggle with it sometimes. The good news is if you try it will happen in time. My whole life was devoted to using drugs, people, things whatever I could to help me get what I want. Going from that to warm and fuzzy (sober) was hard but I managed. Recovery was truly the last house on the block, I stayed close with my sponsor, did the 90 in 90 meetings. I have almost 8 years clean now but the only chip I ever get at meetings is the 24 hour. To me the most important chip. Just dont take anything and the promises (NA/AA?)will come.